Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I seem to have this problem with my Chevy Malibu SS 2006 3.9L V6. When I drive it for a while, the temperature hand never reaches the H (Heating) but stays one notch over the half of the temperature gage. I change the thermostat and the water pump. So I put universal mix cooling, and Antifreeze that comes in a jug. I do have an oil leak but I don't know where it's coming from but I think it's coming from the filter housing. I talked to O'Reilly the guy said that the oil has something to do with cooling the temperature of the engine heating. Any thoughts about this? Please help!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
H does mean heating, it means Hot. With modern cars, the temp gauge is not directly linked to the actual temperature but is controlled by the BCM. If the temp is more or less normal, then it'll display toward the center of the gauge. If it gets too hot, then it'll swing up toward the H.

You need to understand that there are 4 fluids that cool your engine, not just 1. The most obvious one is also the one that handles most of the cooling, but the other three are important as well.
  1. Coolant, aka "anti-freeze"
  2. Motor oil
  3. Fuel
  4. Air
The oil touches the hot parts, drops to the pan, where it is cooled a bit by the air passing by the pan. The fuel picks up heat as it touches hot parts as well, but it's a more localized cooling than the oil. The air that is forced by the fans and the air that enters as you drive helps to cool the outside of the whole engine bay.

If the engine is not overheating, then you should be good.

Fix the oil leak, or reduce how much it's leaking, and then make sure that you don't run out of oil. Even more important than cooling, it's the life blood of the engine.

No matter how intelligent or even experienced folks are who work at an auto parts store, they are not mechanics or technicians unless they are actually certified as such. There are way too many wrong ideas told to unwary customers, and of those, I've heard some that were just patently wrong. I'm sure some have damaged their cars worse by following their suggestions than if they'd done nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H does mean heating, it means Hot. With modern cars, the temp gauge is not directly linked to the actual temperature but is controlled by the BCM. If the temp is more or less normal, then it'll display toward the center of the gauge. If it gets too hot, then it'll swing up toward the H.

You need to understand that there are 4 fluids that cool your engine, not just 1. The most obvious one is also the one that handles most of the cooling, but the other three are important as well.
  1. Coolant, aka "anti-freeze"
  2. Motor oil
  3. Fuel
  4. Air
The oil touches the hot parts, drops to the pan, where it is cooled a bit by the air passing by the pan. The fuel picks up heat as it touches hot parts as well, but it's a more localized cooling than the oil. The air that is forced by the fans and the air that enters as you drive helps to cool the outside of the whole engine bay.

If the engine is not overheating, then you should be good.

Fix the oil leak, or reduce how much it's leaking, and then make sure that you don't run out of oil. Even more important than cooling, it's the life blood of the engine.

No matter how intelligent or even experienced folks are who work at an auto parts store, they are not mechanics or technicians unless they are actually certified as such. There are way too many wrong ideas told to unwary customers, and of those, I've heard some that were just patently wrong. I'm sure some have damaged their cars worse by following their suggestions than if they'd done nothing.
Thank You sir I will try that and come back and let you know. Good looking out!👍

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a similar issue going with a 3.1 L (2002). Typically running one notch over middle mark on the temp gauge...in summer at least.

In my case I have a coolant leak that prevents the system from running at 15 lbs. I can remove the coolant cap WHEN HOT and usually don't hear any release of pressure. I've also replaced the coolant cap to rule that out.

So just enough coolant leakage to keep the 15 lbs from building up. I can smell coolant on the pass side of the radiator after driving. No real coolant loss can be seen in the tank...am using stop leak.

Have tried using UV dye and an LED UV flashlight to locate the leak with no real result...can see various areas of corrosion that stand out...but no discernible leak...my guess is it's at the bottom of the rad where it sits on the support frame. Car may also have a minor heater core leak...some coolant smell when using the heat after no use over summer...and some coating on the inside of the windshield.

Made it thru summer...so I'm guessing it will make it thru winter OK. Neither job (rad or heater core) is one I'm willing to take on...could...but won't. Runs good for now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts