Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am a bit skeptical but i have heard these chips work, except they usually cost much more. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these chips? are they safe?

here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2in1-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-CHEVROLET-MALIBU-1997-2008-2007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ023QQitemZ360043763902QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

What's that old saying? "If it sounds too good to be true, they likely take Visa".

While I have heard that it's true about new engines being set to an over rich fuel mix, this is supposedly required to keep the catalytic converter up to temperature. With a performance chip I'm sure you could pull a few better mpg and hp gains over the stock setup, but to get anything near +60 hp I think that you'd need a full featured nitrous system.

Also some state inspections now do an emissions software check. If a bogus chip is found there may be a big fine to pay.

Good luck if you go for it, let us know how you do.

DrD

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a Neuspeed chip in my bug. It added some horsepower but for the most part all it did was eliminate the red line. Then again i was driving a stick so I'm not sure how it would do that in an automatic. I can see why it would add larger amounts of power to an automatic since the computer would be doing the proper shifting.

I was reading their feedback and for the most part they were positive. For the price it can't hurt but without knowing what the installation instructions are I would be careful. It says it has a warranty on the product but nothing as far as repairing the car if the product messes it up. Hmmm...

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

If it was that easy to add significant HP and MPG's Chevy would be doing it from the get-go. In these days of high fuel prices and the governments requirement for increased fuel economy GM would be buying these things.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If it were this easy and you could add have a 310hp Malibu that got 40+ mpg don't you think GM would be selling that Malibu right now?

I owned an 05 GTO and alot of the guys in the GTO forum were replacing there stock AIT sensor with one that reacted to temp changes quicker to help with the LS2 heat soak problem. From what I understand it did work but it was nowhere near what this guy is claiming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i put some research into this, i guess what they're selling is just a resistor. Most modification to add HP are chips and cost upwards of 400$. PPl say these resistors do work, but not what they claim. In order to get the 60+ hp they say you need to modify your car with cold air intake and a new exhaust.

There are so many of these on the internet you can never know which one is actually telling the truth.

like i said, ppl did see result with these resistors, but not like what they advertised.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In order to get 60hp you'd need a super charger or a turbo kit. I've owned several F-bodies and a GTO in the past 12 years and even with an air intake and cat back exhaust I only saw 15-20hp. You can tune and get a few more ponies but nowhere near 60hp.

Even the LS1 F-bodies would require full exhaust with headers intake and a radical high octane tune to come close to 60hp agains from "simple" bolt-ons.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A resistor connected in the right way with the intake temp sensor could make the computer think it needs to pull in extra air. This is just another way to trick the engine into a leaner mixture, again likely a minimal increase in mpg. But with just a passive component like a resistor you might wind up with others major problems during temperature extreames where the computer really needs to know the true air temp.

DrD

·
Registered
135 Posts
A resistor connected in the right way with the intake temp sensor could make the computer think it needs to pull in extra air. This is just another way to trick the engine into a leaner mixture, again likely a minimal increase in mpg. But with just a passive component like a resistor you might wind up with others major problems during temperature extreames where the computer really needs to know the true air temp.

DrD
exactly

don't do it

·
Registered
326 Posts
Reminds me of this device they sell that supposedly magnetically aligns something in the fuel and supposedly increases MPG significantly. It's a crock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys. Arty is correct; it is just a resistor.

The numbers they have are bogus. It would give maybe 5 HP and would most likely hurt your gas mileage. It makes your engine think the air coming in to the engine is colder than what it is resulting in your computer to make the fuel mixture richer. This can potentially screw up your spark plugs over time. It shouldn't throw off any emissions or turn on your engine light but it's not worth it. If you really want to know what it will do go to radio shack and buy the resistor for five cents and plug it in for fun.

As far as chips go, they would be advertised as an ECM and they typically have a core charge in the item description.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.