Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I swear by those clay bars. It's a hard job to do but a clay bar job then chase it down with a full wax job and you can see urself like if u were looking in a mirror.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You must be the envy of the neighborhood now :p

"Jack got a new Benz, would'a look at that."
"No way. It's a Chevy!"
"Actually, I think he just popped off the Mercedes emblem and attached a Chevrolet one. Does not look bad, though."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...

If you're thinking of waxing or polishing your car, the clay bar is an absolute must. What a difference it makes...

I washed and polished my car before, shortly after I bought it, but the paint still felt rough - so I clay barred it and couldn't believe the amount of grime stuck to a brand new car...

If you haven't done it to your own yet, I highly recommend it...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks guys...

If you're thinking of waxing or polishing your car, the clay bar is an absolute must. What a difference it makes...

I washed and polished my car before, shortly after I bought it, but the paint still felt rough - so I clay barred it and couldn't believe the amount of grime stuck to a brand new car...

If you haven't done it to your own yet, I highly recommend it...
I've always just washed my car in the past, What products do I need and what steps do you take to do that.. Id like to give it a try

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've always just washed my car in the past, What products do I need and what steps do you take to do that.. Id like to give it a try
There is a great deal of info at this site including a video on using a clay bar. There products are excellent.
http://www.meguiars.com/

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
And if you really want to start being a crazy detailer, head on over to this forum and become "one":

http://www.autopia.org

I never knew how extensive the world of detailing products and tools were until I hit this site several years back. Now you should see my closet...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Will a clay bar effect hand painted pin stripes? i dont want to smudge them.

Also, will this remove that rust colored dots that gets on the rocker and fender area of the car? We have a white Pilot that looks bad after one year and regular wash and wax has not worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a great deal of info at this site including a video on using a clay bar. There products are excellent.
http://www.meguiars.com/
I swear by Meguiars as well but if your looking just to purchase a clay bar then you should just pick up a cheap bar of clay at Toys R Us or something. No need to spend $20+ on a tiny clay bar and some cinnamon smelling liquid from Meguiars...

I have both the Meguiars and some cheap clay...same results

·
Registered
184 Posts
clay bars are great, i use one on mine and it does make a difference. then i use some mothers cleaner wax... thats great stuff

·
Registered
35 Posts
I swear by Meguiars as well but if your looking just to purchase a clay bar then you should just pick up a cheap bar of clay at Toys R Us or something. No need to spend $20+ on a tiny clay bar and some cinnamon smelling liquid from Meguiars...

I have both the Meguiars and some cheap clay...same results
Do you just use the oil based modeling clay or the silly putty type stuff?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably a stupid question but what's the difference between waxing and polishing? I know you'd probably wanna clay before doing the above two. I'm thinking you'd wax first then polish after. I have a white malibu and I waxed it before the winter however; i've noticed some tiny red dots on the paint. I usually hand wax and some of the spots will come off.

I'm gonna get info on the steps but would like some opinions from fellow car owners. Although it's an 08 I still get the stares and I always stare when i see another bu on the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the exact same car and color. But Holy crap how did you do that? I don't like doing anything special with waxing,buffing etc it just ends up being worse years later. But this clay bar thing is looking tempting.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Probably a stupid question but what's the difference between waxing and polishing? I know you'd probably wanna clay before doing the above two. I'm thinking you'd wax first then polish after. I have a white malibu and I waxed it before the winter however; i've noticed some tiny red dots on the paint. I usually hand wax and some of the spots will come off.

I'm gonna get info on the steps but would like some opinions from fellow car owners. Although it's an 08 I still get the stares and I always stare when i see another bu on the road.
Normally a polish contains mild abrasives, fillers, and oils that help smooth & fill in fine scratches.

Wax is just that, wax. It protects the paint and gives it a nice luster.

This of course is just a very basic explaination. I would definitely recommend going to autopia.org and reading up on everthing. Oh, and you want to polish BEFORE you wax! Polishing will help remove any wax you have on your car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Some pics after clay bar and a bit of Zaino polish....

Could you please do this for my car? LOL jkjkjkjkjkjk it looks amazing I'm sure I already commented but I'm jealous haha

·
Registered
139 Posts
This past weekend I took on the chore of washing and clay barring our 2005 white Honda Pilot.

While the top half was in good condition, years of "raildust" spots made the lower rocker area look horrible.

I used the Mothers Detailer and clay bar kit. This product is simply amazing. I had to go over the area a couple times, once to remove the bad stuff and then came back to get the remaining discoloration from the raildust.

Because of the size of the Pilot and the amount of crap on the lower half of the vehicle, it took me over 3 hours to do but the results are well worth it. Yes - my arms were sore for the next two days!!

The vehicle now looks better than new!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.