Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning rituals?

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lbls1 
#1 ·
How do you keep your bu clean?
Include your soap, wax, detail spray and equipment!

I'm interested to see what others use

#2 · (Edited)
I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash with a microfiber wash mitt and recently started using the double bucket method to get the car clean.

After washing then maybe once or twice a year I may use a clay bar on the car. I have used Meguiars clay, Mothers clay and Griots clay in the past and all do a good job.

At times I may use Meguiars White Wax which is really a cleaning wax. I use it when I need to get the paint clean when just washing it wasn't enough.

For wax I use Meguiars Ultimate Wax. I've used many other waxes in the past and I love the Ultimate Wax the most because it lasts a really long time and has a great shine. It's actually a synthetic sort of sealant and not a true wax. S100 wax had a beautiful shine to it and was easy as hell to apply and take off but it didn't last very long.

I recently bought a Griots Garage dual action polisher and as soon as it warms up I plan on using it on my truck to get out some of the swirls and scratches. I may use it on the Malibu just to apply wax, we'll see.

#3 ·
Thread moved from Gen8 General Discussion area.

#4 ·
I (gasp) take mine through an automatic car wash where I have an unlimited membership. But, I live in a condominium where it is difficult to hand wash. We do have a community car wash, but it is a pain to use ($1.00 for about 10 minutes of water time). That 10 minutes goes by quick and I never have any quarters hanging around.

#6 ·
I wash every week, sometimes twice a week if its nice and I have the time. I use a 3000psi 2.5gpm pressure washer. All Chemical Guys products.

Start out by cleaning my wheels first then rinsing the vehicle with water. Then I attach my foam cannon to my pressure wand and give the car a good pre-soak. I have two buckets, one soap and one clean water. I use a microfiber wash mitt and I regularly go back to the buckets after each panel to reduce scratching. Then I do a final rinse.

Drying:

I use those absorber shammys and follow up with a microfiber towel. Making sure I get everything including door jams. I use Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 detailing spray after washing and it makes a HUGE difference. I then dress the tires and any other exterior plastics.

I do full details (wash, clay bar, polish, wax, etc) every 2-3 months.

The only time you will see me at a car wash is in the winter months to get the salt off. Washing your car when its 20* out is not fun, trust me.

#7 · (Edited)
Oh yea I forgot about the drying part. I also use an Absorber chamois.
I start from the top of the vehicle and work down. The wheels are done last for me.

This winter is the first time I ever took the Malibu through an automatic car wash at the local Exxon and it sucked ass. It came out with filth still on the trunk lid and bottom rocker panels. First and last time the Malibu will see one of those.

#8 ·
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of automatic car washes either but whatever you guys do, never go to a hand wash. I used to work at one and kids there would throw wash mitts on the ground, use the same mitts on every vehicle day after day without washing them, use bath towels to dry. Its just horrible...

#9 ·
I use Griot's Garage products for my cars. Includes Car Wash with a Boars Hair brush, Paint cleaning Clay with Griots Speed Shine and Griots PFM Microfiber Drying Towels. I have not had to polish my cars in quite some time, but if needed, I would use Griots Complete polish followed by either Griots Best of Show or Griots Poly Wax. I use a Griots Random Orbital buffer with their red or black pad. For Wheels and Tires, I use Griots Wheel Cleaner and Long Lasting Tire Dressing. Have used Griot products for over 25 years and have never been disappointed.

#10 · (Edited)
I don't go to car washes.

I pressure wash wet and then use a Chemical Guy's TORQ Foam Cannon Snow Foamer with Honeydew Snow Foam Wash. Sun Joe 1.76GPM power washer.

A big Microfiber Wash Pad.

Separate bucket for wheels, wheels done first.

I use a 35" x 26" waffle weave microfiber drying towel.

I use special soap to wash my microfiber towels and wash them separately of anything else. I air dry my microfiber towels. Use too much heat in a dryer and you'll close up the fibers, wrecking them.

The snow foam cannon does this....pic taken from Chemical Guy's site. I had a foamer for garden hose first, then upgraded to the power washer foam cannon. Their garden hose foamer worked pretty good, well constructed with brass, unlike some cheap all plastic ones. I had the power washer already, should of bought the foam cannon first.

The second pic is the garden hose foamer and my car.

Attachments

#11 ·
I wash the car by hand until it gets too cold outside (winter). I use a bucket of water with California Gold Car wash. Its an excellent car wash solution that I've used for many years. During the winter, when its too cold outside I'll run the car through the car wash, and I'll spray the underbody so as to clean off the road debris and salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.