Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning the inside of the windows

14K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
I've had my LTZ for less than 3 months, and my only complaint is the film that builds up on the inside of the winshield. I've washed the windows several times and can't get them completely clean. Any idea why I'm getting this film on the windows? Is anyone else having this problem? Any thoughts on how to get the windshield clean and keep it that way?

#9 ·
Strangely enough I just brought the same subject up with my husband last night and he said exactly what you said Pizza Man!! Great minds think alike!!:) I have been noticing the build-up over the last few days also. With the heat outside like it is I think that is what is making mine worse, drawing all of the outgassing out quicker.

#5 ·
I read somewhere that the glass is doubled for quietness. Could this be between the glass? I have a rear door glass that appears to be hazy but I can t seem to clean it from the inside or outside. Also my rear window keeps getting hazy on the inside too.I thought it may be because I keep the rear shade down all the time. Whats going on?

#6 ·
It doesn't seem to be in between the glass as i can get it clean, it just won't stay that way for very long. I'm hoping Pizza Man is right and it is a temporary thing. I'll just have to keep telling the wife that she can use the car as long as it comes back clean! She does a better job cleaning it than I do, so it is worth letting her drive it! Thanks for the responses, and I'd like to hear if anyone else gets the same film on their windshields. Do you think any of it has to do with the lack of cabin air filter?

#7 ·
Pizza Man is right. Plastic outgassing from the dash will put a film on the inside of the glass. All you can do is keep cleaning the glass. It will get better over time. I have seen it in every new vehicle I have owned and all my work vehicles.

#8 ·
Blech. I despise cleaning the windows in my vehicles, especially steeply raked windshields and / or back glasses. It's fairly hard to get to the bottom well. But I have the same problem, and this is pretty much the only solution. Maybe once the car gets to be a year or two old it'll stop. I know it won't for a while though, because my wife mentioned only Sunday how my car still has that new car smell (love that). Sadly, that has been explained to me as the result of the outgassing. :(

#10 ·
The following may be of interest:

WHAT CAR COMPANIES ADMIT INTERNALLY BUT HIDE FROM YOU

No one really knows how long ago vehicle manufacturers have known about the public health risks of being exposed to all the toxic chemicals they use in the manufacturing process. Most like to claim ignorance, as they only put the parts together to create your dream car. Sadly, only because consumer groups have protested loud enough about the relationship between serious health issues and toxic chemicals, did the car companies finally sit up and take notice. As a result, progress is being made to reduce toxic chemicals in vehicles, homes and offices.

A LITTLE HISTORY

We have in our possession two car dealer related pieces of evidence that strongly indicate that the car companies have known about the problem for many, many years. Yet it took consumer group pressure to get them to admit to the clear danger of health problems. Why did they hide this information from the public?

WHAT CHEVROLET KNOWS

On May 10, 1972 Chevrolet issued a Dealer Service Information Bulletin to Service Mangers informing them that “An oily film or haze may form on the inside surface of the windshield and other body glass surfaces… under certain conditions.

This film is due to the migration of certain ingredients used in manufacturing plastic interior components. These solvents or politicizing agents are secreted from plastic components when subjected to high ambient temperatures and subsequently condense on the relatively cooler surfaces of the vehicle such as the windshield and body glass. The condition will diminish as these ingredients are bled from the materials.

This film can best be removed by wiping the glass with a household glass cleaner containing ammonia….vinegar may be substituted, but may leave an odor.

Due to the recurring nature of this film, periodic cleaning is required and is considered a normal maintenance function.”

Note that Chevrolet implies that this (toxic) film was something you should expect from your new car and that it is your problem to try and clean it off. That would be fine if they had warned you ahead of time.

Note also, that they did not offer to remove the haze as part of the new car warranty. Why not? Is it the owners fault? One thing for sure, no car company currently offers a product that can get rid of that oily film!

WHAT FORD KNOWS

In January of 1983, Automotive News broke the story that first appeared in The Journal of Safety Litigation News from the Center for Auto Safety that Ford had settled a case, out of court, with Thomas David, of Zion , IL, whose windshield was covered by a film apparently coming from the elasticized component of the vinyl upholstery in a 1981 Mercury Capri. Settlement involved repurchase of the car, plus attorneys fees and cost of tests made by an independent laboratory.

The suit was over this: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) has been accused of being a carcinogen and its fumes are said to cause deposits on inside windows thick enough to be scraped off with a razor blade.

The case was brought against Ford Motor Co. under the Manson Act charging breach of the written warranty, implied warranty or service contract.

Lab test results and photographs showed a matching of the windshield film with the Plasticine component of the upholstery.

Seems it's not healthy either!

#17 ·
ThePhotographer - Is sprayway glass cleaner that good, is it worth it ? i have used several glass cleaners in the past with miserable results and settled for less because i didnt know there was an answer out there -

Thanks Coop

#20 ·
I had a 1988 until 3 years ago (traded it fo my truck) that did just as bad as my Malibu and Colorado. Armor All makes the film worse as it leaves its own film as well.

I love the Sprayway Glass cleaner. I use the foam in the aerosol can. I had a local company that had a similar glass cleaner under their own private label. When I requested a MSDS sheet, I found it was made by Sprayway. Sprayway is a lot less expensive. Wal Mart and Target carry it as well.

#21 ·
ZEP window cleaner (I get it from Home Depot) and a CLEAN cotton terry cloth bath towel. I swear by it. Works great. No smears. No residue. When the film returns to the glass, then do it all over again. I have a 2012 and have done it twice in the last two and a half months to keep up with it.

#22 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I bought and used denatured alcohol per the instructions: 4 oz per gallon water. It was immediately better. I'm gonna do it again this weekend (OK, I intend to do it and we all know what the road to hell is paved with... ;)) because I left some residue before. But I've been fighting this for months and finally got some relief. Another member on here suggested it and I'm beholdin' to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.