Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Usually a damp cloth (water) worked well on our 2004 Malibu, even for cleaning off the tree sap my wife managed to get on it one time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9156

This link may help, I know it is something I am going to keep an eye...seems there are already discussion about cleaning and protecting. I might try using the scotchgaurd for my microfibre couch on the interior....of coursing testing first on an inconspicious spot of course. Once I get the car, I will let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Has anyone treated their seats yet? Just curious as I would like to make sure I have the right "chemicals" so I can treat them right away.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Has anyone treated their seats yet? Just curious as I would like to make sure I have the right "chemicals" so I can treat them right away.
I'm sure any protectant like you mentioned would work

I have this spray on water repellant stuff from the shoe store, that would probably work great.....so I don't see why the "scotchguard" from your micro fiber (which is synthetic) wouldn't work either

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah....it's not really suede...it's called "UltraLux" which is a synthetic suede (or something like that)
UltraLux is likely to actually be Alcantara material. Toray Ultrasuede is the distributer for Ultrasuede branded material for furniture and clothing in the US, and Alcatara is another name for the same material which is made in Italy.
Toray Ultrasuede has recently opened an office in Troy Michigan to work with OEM car manufacturers and those Ultrasuede products are being branded as Alcantara.

I'll do a little research and let folks here know if this is the case. The care would be the same as for Alcantara or Ultrasuede, because they are the same stuff...

Let me see what I can find out before anyone starts spraying chemicals on their seats... If there's interest in the info.

If there is real interest, I'll find out.

Fair enough?;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am very interested because my seats are so light I am worried about wear over the long haul.

·
Registered
701 Posts
1fastdog - I think you will find there is a very high level of interest on this forum for way to protect their seats and the Alcantara. Please look into as I would also be interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
1fastdog - I think you will find there is a very high level of interest on this forum for way to protect their seats and the Alcantara. Please look into as I would also be interested.

Thanks!

I'll look into to it. Knowing exactly what the material is will help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The sad thing is, the 2004 Malibu LT V6 sedan we used to own came with a little card in the glovebox that talked about the Ultrasuede (a man-made material.. blah blah) and how to take care of it. I can't find that, and assume it just got chucked in the trash. But I'm pretty sure that's where I read about using water to clean it. GM should include that with the cars that have it- the material itself, regardless of true cost, sure looks and feels a lot more luxurious that my full leather seating in my LTZ. Enough so that if I ever manage to wear out the seat covers I have, I'll probably order something from Katzkins with the true suede inserts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I found this by searching the internet. I am assuming this is the same material in that it is used for anything from clothing to furniture. Here is the link:

http://www.ultrasuede.com/about/care/index.html

I know most of you probably already know this information but it gives great tips for getting all sorts of things off the seats.

Still no other information about the Scotchgarding. When I searched other forums like GMInsider I found that people are Scotchgarding their whole cars from the floor to the roof liners and find it helps greatly with cleanup etc. over the long haul. They do this about every 2-4 months and report it really keeps thing looking new. I was just concerned it would change my light grey seats to a darker grey. Of note, some ultrasuede products come pre-treated but I am not sure about the Malibu.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your welcome!! With kids, family and friends getting in and out of cars maybe the info will come in handy for someone!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good job! I have the car links for Ultrasuede and Alcantara, just awaiting the opportunity to verify the nature of the UltraLux material and if the Alcantara and Ultrasuede is interchangible with the UltraLux.

I understand there are preventative protection questions behind the gist of this thread.
Early July is not a good time to chase this "rabbit". Nonetheless, I'm on the hunt here.

When I get the info, all here will get the info. That's the best I can offer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
1fastdog - Unaccetpable - Geesh - Can't you make people give you the info!

LOL - Just Kidding, no rush as I am sure many will be patient anyways and wait for the info. I think there is some good info in this thread already....Some verification and extra tips will be a welcome also.

Cheers!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the seats which comes with the '08 LS model...I am pretty sure it is not the suede material; it is more like a very soft cloth.

I left my windows down yesterday, and the rain that seeped in onto the seat left staining rings. I am wondering if upholstery stain remover will work or if I should try something else? I also had, after my windows were tinted (but I could not accuse them for tax reasons :eek:), a dirt-colored hand print on my back bench that I would like to get rid of too.

Any suggestions? I have been weary to even touch them with water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.