Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 2016 malibu limited with 70k miles on it, there is a strange noise clicking when I put the brakes on, i brought it back to dealer to check it out and they said they could not find anything wrong and sprayed the breaks and now the noise is gone, i will be picking it up tomorrow but something doesn't seem quite right like there is obviously something mechanical wrong with break pads or suspension. I will post a video of the sound.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
I didn't hear any clicking, but it could be my hearing is a bit clogged up these days.

What I can share is a generalism. A lot of front disc brakes will make a single click sound first time you use them. On my 3 different Gen7 Malibus, I would come home and park head first, then the next morning I'd back out and sometimes hear a click, then at the first stop sign just down the street I'd hear them click again and that would be it all day. That general condition is just the little bit of movement within the calipers that the pads need in order to expand when they're hot and still not stick. When I backed up, they'd move to one end of the play, then when I was at the stop sign, they'd move to the other end of play and click when they arrived. That sound is normal.

If you have a repeating sound or an actual clunk, then you will still want to have it inspected. You may also want to get a video with a more pronounced sound of them clicking, and maybe even narrate it when the sound has been heard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't hear any clicking, but it could be my hearing is a bit clogged up these days.

What I can share is a generalism. A lot of front disc brakes will make a single click sound first time you use them. On my 3 different Gen7 Malibus, I would come home and park head first, then the next morning I'd back out and sometimes hear a click, then at the first stop sign just down the street I'd hear them click again and that would be it all day. That general condition is just the little bit of movement within the calipers that the pads need in order to expand when they're hot and still not stick. When I backed up, they'd move to one end of the play, then when I was at the stop sign, they'd move to the other end of play and click when they arrived. That sound is normal.

If you have a repeating sound or an actual clunk, then you will still want to have it inspected. You may also want to get a video with a more pronounced sound of them clicking, and maybe even narrate it when the sound has been heard.
sorry, I didn't hear anything either...

good luck with your car

Bill

This is very clear video of the noise just turn volume up, please share thoughts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
Are those noises happening only when you use the brakes? They sound like you're going over bumps or small holes. If the street has nothing to cause those noises, then it could be something in your suspension or steering.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,910 Posts
I do hear the noise in the most recent video. What I hear is a rotational noise that is faster as the wheel spins faster and slows in frequency as the wheel slows. What it is I do not know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interested and also when I accelerate it doesn't have that smooth power behind it like when I first bought it which was like a week and a half ago, it like is annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are those noises happening only when you use the brakes? They sound like you're going over bumps or small holes. If the street has nothing to cause those noises, then it could be something in your suspension or steering.
It makes that noise when driving sometimes and also braking and like the suspension is something wrong with it, I feel every little bump I go over, something changed like two days after I purchased the car, I brought it in yesterday they said they didn't hear anything but sprayed the breaks i drove it home today and didn't hear much of the noises but sometimes still isn't right. Frustrated I wish I could do something to fix the problem

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,910 Posts
they said they didn't hear anything but sprayed the breaks i drove it home today and didn't hear much of the noises but sometimes still isn't right
The dealer "sprayed the brakes" and it reduced the noise. Perhaps there is rust or a warped rotor or a rock stuck? Loose pad? When I hear speed dependent rotational noises like that I always look to something rotating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.