Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back i had noticed a "clunk" coming from the front drivers side, happened mostly at slower speeds and on washboard roads. Took it in to the dealer and they repacked and repositioned the ISS. It seemed to work for a short time, but back came the "clunk" with in a few weeks. That was a month ago and the "clunk" is getting worse. Along with the "clunk" is a "steering POP" when setting still turning the wheel left then right, right then left. You can hear this from inside as well as outside the car. Handling down the highway has noticeably dropped off, with having to correct to stay strait most of the time. Guys, I drive mostly highway miles as this car is my daily commuter car back and forth to work. I don't abuse the car at all and always avoid bad spots and pot holes in the road. I've owned close to twelve cars in my life time with half of them being brand new, most of the new ones had next to nothing wrong with them before 30k and a hand full had something minor wrong with them by 30k, (I.e...lose trim, bad tire, bad spark plug......) Please don't get me wrong, I like this car, but this is the first one that feels as if the front end has been driven 120k. Back to the dealer again....

·
Registered
12 Posts
You post is proof enough for me that these cars turn into buckets of nuts and bolts in short order. I recently posted here about a rental 09 LT I had driven. All kinds of noises and clunks at 14K miles.

Theres a sucker born every day and I'm the biggest one. This is one of the reasons I got rid of my 04 malibu at 23K mi. All kind of suspension noises and clunks that started around 5K mi. They replaced struts, racks, strut mounts and intermediate shaft. Nothing helped - non-fixable.

As a glutton for punishment I go and buy an 09 malibu. Thought they'd have these issues woked out by now. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. We have all been duped by GM again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 10,000 miles and nothing to complain about so you tell me about the duping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 10,000 miles and nothing to complain about so you tell me about the duping.
Well Lets see now. The late 90's generation Malibu was a major blunder and a troublesome car. The 2004 generation malibu was not much better. One of the 2004's many known issues was the clunking that the OP is experiencing. Just like the OP the first thing they did is replaced the ISS only to have the noise come back in a few weeks. Next GM determined it not the ISS but the rack and the rack would be re-designed. A year later new rack is available but does not solve the problem. From there they replaced struts and strut mounts to no avail. Next they told me the noise is normal.

History is repeating itself. I drove an 09 that had the same exact noise as my 04. The OP has the noise and I'm quite sure I've seen other posts on this board about the same issue. I'm glad you have nothing to complain about thus far and hope you never do. Time will tell. Tick-Tock. Clunk-Clunk.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The OLD Malibus are known for loosening up and sucking after a while. I am hoping the new ones wont be like that, and doubt they will. There will always be a few bad apples from the bunch, but it looks like the new style is pretty solid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.