Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu with 88,000 I’m having a noise problem. Going over speed bumps or just little bumps in the road it’s a clunk/rattle noise coming from the front end. I’ve changed whole struts shocks and mounts tie rod ends sway bar linkage and the control arms. Any suggestions? Can it be the engine/motor mounts?

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
89 Posts
Interestingly enough, I had something like that happen when I replaced my front struts. Ended up being a bushing that came defective on the new struts. Did this noise start after you replaced those parts, or has this been going on for a while?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly enough, I had something like that happen when I replaced my front struts. Ended up being a bushing that came defective on the new struts. Did this noise start after you replaced those parts, or has this been going on for a while?
When I first got the car it was there but not as bad so I replaced everything on the suspension to be safe and might as well since it all works together. After it was done I realized it was still there so I contacted the parts company I purchased the struts from they sent me a brand new set I had those installed and it’s still there. Starting to be a pain so I’m thinking maybe it’s something else’s because me getting 2 defective sets of whole strut mounts is kind of weird.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmm...if you know, what side does it seem to be coming from? Also, if you can, describe the sound. Does it sound like metal on metal, plastic on metal, light, heavy, etc.
I would also check that all the plastic shields in the front are properly secured, specifically the battery cover and air intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s both sides so that’s why I said the struts. I just got off work and going over the speed bumps you can hear it really well. No metal on metal it’s like a clunk like something loose and rattling but it’s muffed the rattle isn’t loud but inside the vehicle you can hear it good.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Check the bushings that hold the sway bar to the frame for looseness. May have to use a pry bar to move the sway bar up/down as it's under tension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I purchased those as well but I never had them installed. I’ll probably have those installed and motor mounts to see if it will solve the issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thinking about it more, I think I did have a rattle in my front end that was my serpentine belt and tensioner, though I think that was more of a consistent rattle that came and went. This was also 2 years ago now, so I could be mistaken.
What I would do is I would have someone stand near a known speed bump that would do it, and see if they can hear it from outside. If they can’t, it might be something in the cabin, potentially in the dash or glovebox.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. 2011 malibu w/ 170,000 miles, runs great. Had a small clunk on passenger side so installed new struts and then had worse clunks on both sides, so i changed the sway bar links next and no difference. I'll try changing the sway bar bushings tomorrow and hope for the best. Frustrating

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu 2016 LT
9 Posts
I have a '16 Malibu LT, around 40-45k I had a clunking noise on the driver's side which over time increased to a stage it was unbearable. The solution? After taking it to four independent mechanics and getting it on a lift, I've changed the front strut twice along with the stabilizer link. No use! Finally I diagnosed it myself with a couple of buddies on the weekend, turns out the bushing on the control arm was causing the clunk and it was very difficult to replicate. In our case, it wasn't feasible to swap out the bushing so I replaced the entire control arm. The noise never came back. Hope this helps, I know my vehicle isn't in the same model year bracket! :)

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a '16 Malibu LT, around 40-45k I had a clunking noise on the driver's side which over time increased to a stage it was unbearable. The solution? After taking it to four independent mechanics and getting it on a lift, I've changed the front strut twice along with the stabilizer link. No use! Finally I diagnosed it myself with a couple of buddies on the weekend, turns out the bushing on the control arm was causing the clunk and it was very difficult to replicate. In our case, it wasn't feasible to swap out the bushing so I replaced the entire control arm. The noise never came back. Hope this helps, I know my vehicle isn't in the same model year bracket! :)
Thank you for answering as well. I’ve changed it all since the noise came. Struts control arms sway bar linkage ima look into the sway bar bushings and get those changed. I’ll keep you all updated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts