Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I must feel like being a guinea pig today:D since my Bu needs brakes soon enough and i never do anything like a normal person, and after reading about this upgrade on G6s, saabs, and such, im going to take the plunge, well, sort of anyways.

i just ordered the calipers to do a little test fit and see if they will fit under my current wheels, and the 17" steelies. i didnt order pads, rotors, or SS lines yet, in case i have to use a rather large spacer. i dont like using spacers, so if i need to use over a 5mm spacer, i will be selling them.

ill keep you guys posted as to the outcome of my overly scientific testing:cool:

Part Numbers

Front

Left Caliper - ACDelco 172-2484
Right Caliper - ACDelco 172-2485
Caliper Hardware - Centric 117.62069
Rotors (I used Powerslot. Any for a 09-10 Turbo SS will work) - 126.62116SL & 126.62116SR
Pads (I used Raybestos. Any for an 09-10 Turbo SS will work) - ATD1379C

Rear

Left Caliper - Centric 141.62610 (Remaned. IIRC, new was way too expensive for what it is)
Right Caliper - Centric 141-62609 (Remaned. IIRC, new was way too expensive for what it is)
Rotors (I used Powerslot. Any for a 09-10 Turbo SS will work) - 126.62117SR & 126.62117SL
Pads (I used Raybestos. Any for an 09-10 Turbo SS will work) - EHT1095H
Banjo Bolt (2 Required) - M12x1.0 Banjo http://www.ebay.com/itm/201025844876?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Rear Lines - http://bmdperformance.com/stainlessbrakelines.html Just make a note when you order you're doing the 4 wheel Cobalt SS Brembo upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
What made you want to put Brembos on your base Malibu? Isn't the GTO your fun car?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
In any case, keep us posted. I find the stock brakes plenty adequate, but I've been having issues with brake squeal so I'd consider upgrading to better GM parts.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Beautiful rug, oh, and nice calipers, too! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so here we go.

neither my current 17"s or 17" steelies fit. there is plenty of clearance to the barrel, but they will need spacers, 3mm minimum, 5mm to be on the safe side. im ok with this.

on to the pictures.

with the stock rotor, which is almost (but not quite) big enough

half assedly comparison of the stocker to the brembo.

behind my wheel with a cheapy 3mm spacer i had lying around

trying to show the clearance between spoke and caliper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was wondering how did everything turn out? Might be interested in doing the same. Did you do anything about the stock rotor size?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was wondering how did everything turn out? Might be interested in doing the same. Did you do anything about the stock rotor size?
still waiting on the wheel spacers (i have everything else) :(

theres no reason why it wont work though.

as for the rotors, you use the fronts from a 2009 cobalt ss turbo as well. they have the same thickness and offset as the stock rotors, so test fitting the caliper was easy.

·
Banned
617 Posts
stopping is actually more important than going!! better brakes can save a crash to that was close. i upgraded to wilwoods on my 01 TT already had spacers 25mm front 30mm rear from motorsport-tech that were more than needed. wilwood kits are available at good prices, just over 1G for 4 piston alum calipers radial mounted + 2 pc floating rotors. prolly lucky to get brembo calipers for 1G
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you remember how long it took to get your spacers? it's going on 2 weeks for me and im getting antsy. i used motorsport tech myself.

·
Banned
617 Posts
little over a week for delivery, be sure you get the correct seat for the included lug bolts, wheel studs can be a different issue as small spacers may not be thick enough, check with motorsports-tech as they will talk to you + call back unlike many others

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
everything is finally in my possession and now, it's all on the car!:D

that being said, i still have a bit of air in the lines, but these things stop!

it really is totally bolt on. the caliper to knuckle and banjo bolts are reused from the stock stuff as well at the lines. so, outside of the wheel spacers, you need nothing special, assuming you actually need the spacers. im sure some wheels would fit just fine.

on to the pics, ya know, all three of them :p

any questions, ask away!

also, i forgot how much i hate working with brake fluid...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much was the total cost? looks fantastic!
thank you sir! with a little rounding, it came to $650 with brand new stuff. you can definitely go cheaper on the rotors (i wanted painted hats so that jacks up the cost) and im sure you can find a deal on the calipers out there, somewhere.

pads - $40
rotors - $180 for both
pad hardware - $20
calipers - $300 for both
wheel spacers - $100 for the pair

1 - 20 of 53 Posts