Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my 2013 Malibu for about a month now, and I finally let it give below half a tank of gas and I noticed that the check engine like will come on and it will run a bit rough at idle as well as a DIC message to tighten my gas cap. Has anyone else had this issue with this generation of Malibu? It’s the 1LT 2.5 L.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've gotten the gas cap message several times under two conditions. 1. Don't fuel up while this car is running or you're guaranteed to get that alarm. 2. I would occasionally get this alarm when no fuel-up was involved. I noticed the gas cap was a bit beat up around the thread and seat area. I bought a new gas cap and the alerts have stopped.

Also note, when I would get this gas cap alarm, I would also have the "major evap leak" code on the vehicle. In my case, these two alarms went hand-in-hand and were related to each other.

Note 2: I never noticed the car running rough when I had these alarms however.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Changing the gas cap is step one. No way to easily test it.
|What are the Possible Causes of the Code P0455 Chevrolet?
  • Missing or loose fuel cap
  • Incorrect fuel filler cap used
  • Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
  • Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
  • Leaking EVAP Canister
  • Leaking EVAP System Hose
  • Leaking Fuel Tank
  • Faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've gotten the gas cap message several times under two conditions. 1. Don't fuel up while this car is running or you're guaranteed to get that alarm. 2. I would occasionally get this alarm when no fuel-up was involved. I noticed the gas cap was a bit beat up around the thread and seat area. I bought a new gas cap and the alerts have stopped.

Also note, when I would get this gas cap alarm, I would also have the "major evap leak" code on the vehicle. In my case, these two alarms went hand-in-hand and were related to each other.

Note 2: I never noticed the car running rough when I had these alarms however.
Changing the gas cap is step one. No way to easily test it.
|What are the Possible Causes of the Code P0455 Chevrolet?
  • Missing or loose fuel cap
  • Incorrect fuel filler cap used
  • Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
  • Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
  • Leaking EVAP Canister
  • Leaking EVAP System Hose
  • Leaking Fuel Tank
  • Faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
I’m thinking the gas cap too. Got an OEM one ordered, just waiting on it to arrive. Hopefully that takes care of the issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I had my 2013 Malibu for about a month now, and I finally let it give below half a tank of gas and I noticed that the check engine like will come on and it will run a bit rough at idle as well as a DIC message to tighten my gas cap. Has anyone else had this issue with this generation of Malibu? It’s the 1LT 2.5 L.
Yes it's your cap it's sucking air when is low on fuel it drives people crazy mine was bad also,only mine would go to a 1/4 tank replaced it it s good now Rhonda

·
Registered
103 Posts
@repairman54 is correct that there is no easy way to check the cap, but if you have access to a good meter, there are a series of active tests you can do on the EVAP system including checking for large and small leaks in the system, including the canister. If they all pass, at least you know you don't have some systemic failure in the EVAP system and it is just an additional check to confirm you should start with the gas cap.

When I had this issue, I noticed that the filler door on my Malibu does not do a very good job of sealing that compartment from the outside elements. When I removed my cap, right where the cap usually seats, there was kind of a build-up of junk or sludge - whatever you want to call it, but there was a clear and definitive line where the cap seats. So along with replacing my cap, I first stuffed a rag in the filler pipe opening so as not to allow any debris to get in the tank. I then went around the lip of the filler pipe and along the threads with some fine steel wool to clean it up before seating the new cap. And of course, before removing the rag, I blew the whole area out with compressed air to be sure no debris would make it's way into the fuel system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts