Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue i noticed, I was curious as to if anyone has experienced this problem...

Since the colder weather has come, I have noticed that when I get into my car in the mornings my FM radio is 100% static until it seems like my car 'warms up'. (I remotely start my car for at least 5 minutes everyday also)

It seems like this has started happening when the outside temperature would get down below 45 degrees or so but goes away after my internal temperature rises.(5 -10 minutes depending on how cold)

Has anyone had this problem with their malibu? I am going to schedule a service appointment for it but I was hoping there was an easy fix as I could see me taking it in and they 'cant duplicate the issue'

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would think it's just that your internal antennae just needs to be warmed up.. I can't prove this or anything but I have heard that things like that don't work as well in abnormally cold or not temperatures (My mobile has the same problems if I accidentally leave it in the car overnight or something).

I never experience any problems with XM, regardless of the temperatures.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think it's just that your internal antennae just needs to be warmed up.. I can't prove this or anything but I have heard that things like that don't work as well in abnormally cold or not temperatures (My mobile has the same problems if I accidentally leave it in the car overnight or something).

I never experience any problems with XM, regardless of the temperatures.
This is what I think also but, I have never had this happen with any car before. This has to be an isolated issue as it would be hard for me to believe that every malibu owner in a climate like Michigan would have this same issue due to the cold weather.

·
Registered
184 Posts
id say faulty wiring somewhere

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is below zero here a lot and I've had no such problems. I also have the rear window tinted, so that would make it worse if anything. It could be faulty wiring, or exposed wiring, a bad ground or something like that which is somehow improving with warmth (perhaps expanding and thus getting a better connection, or being jostled into place). Could it also be moisture interfering with the signal somehow with something exposed that shouldnt be?

·
Registered
184 Posts
well, i don't think the window tint will have anything to do with this. check and make sure that everything is hooked up and not lose. also, make sure that none of the wiring is showing and that nothing is leaking. if all else fails, take it to a dealer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.