Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is interested. These are the GM Mud Guards painted to match. I have done this on my last three Malibus. I know the guards aren't for everyone, but I personally do like much better color matched. Sorry I am no photog, but hopefully you can tell enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I like the monochromatic look. Makes them look like part of the car's body. Are these the Malibu option mud flaps, hard to tell? Maybe take a closer shot, then we could see them better.

Mine are the Malibu optioned ones, they seem to flow better with the contour of the wheel wells.

But I also like the contrasting dark gray of the Malibu flaps. In fact, I have been thinking of painting the rocker panel along the bottom of the car a matching gray - a color matching the lower rear and front valances. I think this would visually make the car less slab sided, with a lower looking profile.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the GM custom molded splash guards 23436159 and 23380481 painted to match. They do follow the curvature of the wheel well and the bodyside fairly well. They are just a little less 'blended' in than the ones on the Gen 8, but better than the ones I had on my Gen 6 Malibu.

Accent painting that rough part of the rocker panel and valences could be interesting, more so on some body colors than others probably.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Probably the same as Malibu option mud flaps. Yes I think painting that particular area of the rocker panel would visually compress the silhouette of the car, making it look longer and sleeker. Your color looks like the crystal tint red, same as my car's color.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, actually Butte Red on this one. My 2013 was Crystal Red. Probably like the looks of that car better (daughter bought it), but the 2016 has other pluses.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painted myself. Scuffed with 3M pad, primer/sand, primer/sand. primer/sand, paint, paint, paint, clearcoat, clearcoat.

If you have a tint coat paint (like my 2013 had) it is just a little harder because you have to get the right amount of tint coat on for color match. There is an extra layer-primer, paint base coat, paint tint coat, clear coat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts