Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
Im considering buying a 2009 malibu. I found an ltz with a 2.4 4I engine but it has almost 150,000 mi. What are your opinions, I don't consider myself a car expert.

Thank you

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,197 Posts
Agree. 4-cyl has electric PS and was problematic until about 2010 models, and the trans has had 3-5-R wave plate issues. Both may have been addressed under warranty, but if not the 3-5-R is very possibly gonna take you out.

But it could go another 150K miles and never have an issue, too. That's one of the things about buying used - the questions you ask may not get honest answers or any answer at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depends what kinda deal you are getting. If it's been well maintained with a documented history - especially of the wave washer on the trans being replaced - you should be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. After reading your comments I was a little skeptical so I ended up passing on it..lol. I found another at a chevy dealer '09 ltz 3.6L v6 with 78,500 miles on it. I'm going to take a look at it anything specific I should look out for?The car looks good and has a clean car fax.

·
Administrator
17,197 Posts
Make sure all recalls have been performed, and see if it has ever had the 3-5-R issue.

The 3.6 is a fabulous engine. The only Achilles heel is the timing chain guides/tensioners. If the oil was not changed frequently (3-5000 miles) then the plastic could be worn severely enough to make things loose. Best to use synth blend or full synth oil, not just dino oil like the 2009 warranty allows. 2010 and newer require synth blend (dexos) oil to maintain warranty.

At that mileage it might be good to have the plugs replaced. I bought mine used at 56K after losing one that was purchased new at 44K. It has 82K on it now and it feels to me like it's running just a bit roughly. I'll tackle the plugs in the near future and hope that that takes care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thank you DrivenDaily. I looked at the carfax and there is nothing on transmission service. I also asked the dealer and he said there is no history of any transmission issues on the car. I doubt that as a second owner I would be given a warranty on it.

·
Administrator
17,197 Posts
Call GM Customer Service and ask them if the car has any kind of special warranty on the transmission and/or if the 3-5-R has ever been addressed. Better to find out now than on some lonely turnpike in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.