Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dealer has a "dealer demo" 2009 Malibu LTZ on the lot... technically an early invoice but manufacturered last year.

Options:
- Black Granite w/ Cocoa Cashmere
- Power Pack
- Has 4200 miles (driven by a dealer employee), but still considered a "new car"

They offered $22,000 out the door (about $20,660 before taxes/doco/plates). MSRP is $27895 and GMS price is $25,691.20 (which I do qualify for). I do not qualify for the $2000 lease incentive...

How's this deal sound and are there any major drawbacks to buying a demo car? They tell me it has never been titled and other than the 4200 miles, is considered new in every regard.

Try for $500 more off? $1000?

·
Registered
10 Posts
get them to throw in a 5 year 75000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty and I say its a deal. I paid $970.00 for the extended warranty. If they wont throw it in the deal, ask them to at least discount the warranty. This warranty adds to the 36/36000 mile bumper to bumper. It is not the 60/100000 drivetrain warranty.

I would also check the tire tread and it is almost due for a oil change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice. I'm going to try for $500 more off plus warranty and ask it be thoroughly cleaned with a fresh oil change.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah you're pretty safe because you have a lot of warranty time left. Just be sure to get all out of that B2B warranty as you can before it expires. I'd also ask for either more off the top or an extended warranty for free, or try both and be willing to give up one as a bargaining chip. If you say you want both, they say no, and you say sorry and get up to leave, I'm sure you'll get something. Also ask for free tinting, rear AC power outlet or something extra.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That seems like a very good deal to me. I'd probably do it even if they didn't budge any more. Of course, if you can get another $500 or $1,000 out of it that's even better! I'm sure they'll wash and clean the car either way. I'd ask for an oil change, too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to ask for $21K out the door plus warranty. This allows for us to meet in the middle with $21.5K plus warranty or "something". We'll see...I want the car but can wait as I'm really in no rush to buy. I want the best deal period and if I have to wait until September for that I am prepared to do that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I want the car but can wait as I'm really in no rush to buy. I want the best deal period and if I have to wait until September for that I am prepared to do that.
Domino - its funny you say that because that is the same attitude I have right now and most salesmen I talk to or run into on some other websites dont like it. I understand they are trying to make a living, but with the economy the way it is right now and all the neg plubicity with GM - we are in the driver seat. I am buying this Malibu as a daily commuter / winter 'beater' car - so I am waiting for GM to at least MATCH what the other 'guys' are offering. If I had a leased car - this present deal is great with the additional 2k - but I DONT......so - here I wait.

This is what is killing GM sales - I can be assured that there are plenty of other potential GM buyers out there like us that are doing the same thing.....I have even started looking at the new 2010 Fusion - because of what GM is doing with their incentives.......Look at Ford - the New Fusion just started hitting the Dealership lots Tuesday and they have alread announce 1k rebate or 4.9 for 60 months.

For us GM is doing 2750 or 0% - the zero only is beneficial if you are financing over 24k which I am not doing....so if I take the rebate - then its up to us to find financing or use your own....well - I actually like GMAC - they have been really good in the past when I have purchased my last 3 GM cars - so I want to use them....but they have no rates comparable if we use the 2750 rebates.

Sorry I am rating - but come on GM at least do something comparable to say - Mazda - they are doing 0% +1000 + your first 3 payments on their 6....its a nice car - but I really want to buy GM.

Off soap box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally agree 86lxjunker. We should be completely in the driver seat and should be able to get the same deal that anyone else with or without a lease gets right now. I even called GM's marketing department to complain about it... because they haven't thought about the sales they are losing by only offering the additional $2K to those that have leases.

It's a great time to negotiate, honestly. Must hold the line. How many people are buying cars from bankrupt companies like GM right now? Not many. They want to sell cars they need to do some dealing like they never have before.

And honestly, I started out looking at a Saturn Aura and a Saturn Vue Hybrid for my wife... but I'm not touching Saturn given the fact that they are going away. I at least have "some" comfort that after the global apocalypse hitting the auto industry, Chevrolet will still be around after it all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh - and I forgot - the 2750 they are offering on the Malibu right now - equals to about 1000 or maybe 1500 - because of all the Mid year price increases they have had over the past year.....I believe there were 2 - with nothing given to us as options - just strickly bottom line price increases.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think you guys are asking too much of gm. The rebate is $2,750 and you want $4,750? That would price the malibu way below the accord and camry. And destroy resale values for existing owners...

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can demand all you want or wait a long time cause GM isn't gonna allow the dealers to sell anything at a loss! You want to CRY about what Gm is offering then go to another manufacturer! Even though sales are sluggish no dealer is willing to sell at a loss. Honestly what you think is a buyers market in new cars is NOT, GM dictates what its to be not the dealer. Now if you want to wait till next year for dealers to off load the last 09 on thier lot cause GM said do this to off load your inventory with these incentives then by all mean wait to see what happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think you guys are asking too much of gm. The rebate is $2,750 and you want $4,750? That would price the malibu way below the accord and camry. And destroy resale values for existing owners...

Speedster - GM is ALREADY doing 4750 if you have a leased car.......period. I dont - so I lose....bad marketing if you ask me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can demand all you want or wait a long time cause GM isn't gonna allow the dealers to sell anything at a loss! You want to CRY about what Gm is offering then go to another manufacturer! Even though sales are sluggish no dealer is willing to sell at a loss. Honestly what you think is a buyers market in new cars is NOT, GM dictates what its to be not the dealer. Now if you want to wait till next year for dealers to off load the last 09 on thier lot cause GM said do this to off load your inventory with these incentives then by all mean wait to see what happens.
This is where you guys are wrong.....we cry because GM is ALREADY doing the 4750 if you own a leased car - so dont give us any crap about crying etc....this is something that is ALREADY on the table....I just want a peice of the action. Its bad marketing to exclude a certain part of the buying public...period. - thus Sluggish sales from anyone who isnt already leasing a car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is where you guys are wrong.....we cry because GM is ALREADY doing the 4750 if you own a leased car - so dont give us any crap about crying etc....this is something that is ALREADY on the table....I just want a peice of the action. Its bad marketing to exclude a certain part of the buying public...period. - thus Sluggish sales from anyone who isnt already leasing a car.
And actually it's $5750 in certain parts of the country right now - or - on certain stock numbers (some zip codes have an additional $1000 in loyalty and others have an additional $1000 dealer cash incentive).

I just want the same deal that people who can't afford to BUY their cars are getting. I have the cash to buy and have always BOUGHT the car, and to exclude those people who have the cash to buy cars and reward those who don't, is wrong.

Here's a perfect example which is real. I went back to the dealer today hoping to strike a deal. As I was getting ready to take it for a test drive someone who WAS eligble for $5750 of incentives bought the car right out from under me. There you go. Because they had a lease (-$2000), it was a dealer cash incentive (-$1000), and the -$2750 everyone gets. They got a much better price on the car and bought it from under me at a lower price, even though I had a checkbook there ready to pay for the car in full (and pay MORE money than that person paid!)

So how does this make sense:
- the buyer paid less than I was going to pay for the same car
- I had the cash to pay for it and the person buying did not
- as a whole GM loses another $2000 on the sale
- but the dealer gets paid more for it because of the money coming back from GM

All because of this silly lease program... it's an awful incentive program looking at the big picture.

·
Registered
493 Posts
HA HA HA!! You two are funny!!! You think GM will give you the same discount as for a LEASE!! No way! Why, cause GM's thought on this is in a lease you are locked into coming back to GM and trading in that leased vehicle for another leased vehicle from GM's stables! The GM executives would laugh at you two . You don't think they know that every sale counts but if they can put people into a lease and lock them into coming back by the time that lease is up, GM gets that car back and the person who had it gets into a new car on a lease deal. The SMART MONEY is in a lease if your plans are to trade up in the two or three year range, the leasee comes out pretty good if they stick to the lease and not go for the final buy out which will cost them the same amount as if they'd bought the car OUTRIGHT! So look over the LEASE PROGRAM closer before you demand that you should get the same discounts as a Lease buyer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
HA HA HA!! You two are funny!!! You think GM will give you the same discount as for a LEASE!! No way! Why, cause GM's thought on this is in a lease you are locked into coming back to GM and trading in that leased vehicle for another leased vehicle from GM's stables! The GM executives would laugh at you two .
You are so insanely clueless it's not even funny.

1. The $2000 lease discount is only if you have an EXISTING lease.
2. The existing lease can be on ANY car (non GM included), that expires before October 31.
2. You do NOT trade in your current lease.
3. You do NOT get a new lease.
4. You PURCHASE the car, with a $2000 discount, just because you HAVE an existing lease (that you don't TRADE IN).

Basically everything you said is 100% false. Where is the ignore button.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Uh to me you sound like the CLUELESS ONE! Maybe I should of re-worded that for people like you! Guess you don't see the POINT I am making for you to SEE!

Hmmm, A GM Lease allows you to trade in the LEASED vehicle you CURRENTLY HAVE for another vehicle on the same LEASE DEAL!

Now where is it that some think they SHOULD GET THE SAME DISCOUNTS if they are BUYING the car? HUH!

·
Registered
74 Posts
To the OP: If the car is being sold "new" then your warranty should start with the current odometer reading.

I got a brand new LTZ Red Jewel for $23,500 in November (not including TTI). Doesn't seem like you're getting such a great deal considering the car has been used for a third of one year's normal mileage. Why don't you ask them to price the same exact car new so you can make a true comparison of what you are getting for the 4000 mile hit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.