Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be installing a set of Continental True Contact 225 /55 R17 97H SL BSW

Discount Tire has two rebates along with Continental that add up to $220 rebates for all 4 tires (until 6/30/18).

The reviews seem good for the tire.

Time will tell.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,382 Posts
Good tires; I hear only positive things about the True and Pure Contact. Feel free to let us know the initial thoughts once installed.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,382 Posts
The tires have a 90,000 mile warranty so I better get at least 50,000 miles. :wink:
50k is a reasonable and realistic expectation. Tire mfg seem to be continually inflating those treadlife warranties betting on owners not claiming the warranty or not keeping records. Just keep your documentation of rotations and if you get way less you can see the prorated replacement cost and make a decision.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,658 Posts
A few years ago I bought four Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 2 tires with a tread warranty of 30K miles. I figured that the way I was driving at the time, if I got 20K I'd be happy. I drove 'em like I stole 'em! Frequent hard launches, corners on 2 wheels with all four squealing, and STILL I got just over 30K miles out of 'em! I was impressed but couldn't afford to keep buying tires that expensive that often. I had some Yokohama Avid Envigors that were less than adequate, and now I have Kelly Edge HP and I'm surprised that they actually work really well. They have a 45K warranty and are a lot more affordable than the Michelins, with only a little less performance. I'll have to dig through receipts to see how many miles I've driven them, but it's probably only about 15-20K at this point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up upgrading the tires to Michelin Defenders.

There was a vibration induced by one or more of the Continentals that would not go away, even after road force balancing. Since I was within the 30 days window of ride/drive guarantee from Discount Tire I decided to go with Michelin Defenders T+H.

The ride is now smooth.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-t-%2b-h/p/32497

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think with any tire there are going to be bad batches.

I used to be in the Carbon Black industry for years and the quality is hit or miss. Carbon black is used as a tire reinforcement to give longevity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed. I replaced the original Goodyears with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 235/50R18 earlier this year. It drives so much better because those Goodyears had a small vibration that was very annoying on the highway.

I took advantage of $200 rebate to replace those Goodyears even though it still has some tread life left.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
A few family members' cars have true contacts on them. They have been very pleased with the ride, noise, and handling in adverse conditions. I haven't heard any complaints about tread life, but I don't think any of the cars in question have more than 30-40k miles.

I have all-season continental extreme contact DWS 06 on my SS. After 10k miles and only being able to rotate them side to side (fatter rears than fronts), the rears are showing almost no wear whatsoever, despite a 30k mile warranty for staggered set-ups. I'm impressed with the continental brand.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
GF's 2013 only has 24K miles on it but the OE Goodyear LS2s are so poor in the rain and even worse in the snow I bought her a set of Continental DWS-06s during the Black Friday from Discount Tire Direct...she noticed the difference right away and I've driven it once and noticed a huge difference over the GYs...

with help from cp-the-nerd I also put a set of the Continental DWS-06s on my SS sedan...I'm liking this tire so far...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
My wife's Cruze has OEM Firestone Firehawk GT tires and--par for the course--they're noisy with mediocre grip in bad conditions. From day 1 she's wanted to swap them off the car, but no sense in wasting a set of tires when she drives 15-20k miles annually.

We'll either get Michelin Premier A/S or Continental PureContact when she needs tires. They're luxury-oriented sport tires with zero compromises. Putting Michelin Premier A/S on my wife's old Cobalt was the biggest difference I've ever noticed from a tire swap, but they're on the pricey side.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
When my stock Goodyears had 55k on them I put a new tire on from Goodyear it's "Assurance WeatherReady Grand touring All-Season" about 7-8 months ago, it's an incredible tire. It's more of a weather tire than I need but the one time I hit a surprise snowstorm in the Sierra mountains I was happy I had them, the grippiest tire I've ever driven on. And now the highest rated All-season tire on Tire Rack.
Smooth, handles great, low road noise. I give them 5 stars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We replaced the stock Goodyears with Conti True Contacts at 57,000 miles. Got all 4 tires for $216 after rebates from Discount Tire Direct, ended up being $400 after installation and a 4 wheel alignment at a local shop. My wife drives the car and she is now at 74,500 miles with no complaints, I rotated them for the first time last week and they look almost new, They car doesn't feel as grippy as our 2007 Malibu with Barum Bravuris 3HM tires, but that may be due to the increased negative camber on the 07. Overall they seem grippier, quieter, and more comfortable than the stock goodyears, fuel econ is unchanged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never changed a set of tires and felt as much difference as I did when I changed to Pirelli Cinturato P7 245/40/19. I honestly love these tires compared to the stock Continental tires my 16 Premier came with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts