·
Registered
749 Posts
That's a taxi I wouldn't mind hailing... and I hate taxis! LOL

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Yep, definitely a Hybrid.

NYC got a deal for both Malibu Hybrids and Altima Hybrids, and now you see them, along with the Escape Hybrids they've had for a while. Here was the story, from this summer:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/plan-for-hybrid-taxi-fleet-moves-forward/

There are more Altima's than Malibu's, but regardless, still very cool. And this is the ultimate durability test for a Malibu in general let alone the Hybrid drivetrain, in constant stop and go and rough city streets.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hopefully there aren't a lot out there...

Fleet sales...*facepalm*

·
Registered
59 Posts
I Think that this is a very good use of the tech. Without going pure electric hybrids make the most sense to me and will provide for great long-term data. We've talked about getting a GEM for work as its limits would fulfill 90% of our travel requirements,,,

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Hopefully there aren't a lot out there...

Fleet sales...*facepalm*
According to the story, 50 per month, but not sure for how long. It's a great way to get the advertisement out visually and on rides, but without really diluting or cheapening the model. It's worked very well for the Ford Escape Hybrid so far, and even in that case, it was a great showing of reliability where some drivers already ran theirs to 100k and had next to nothing go wrong. Hopefully the Malibu's have a similar life and the story gets out, like with the Escapes, but we shall see.

Should be 4x more Altima Hybrid's in NYC, but who has seen one of those too?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm surprised the Malibu is large enough inside to accommodate taxi-style seating with the partition wall. The driver must be cramped against the wheel. In more recent years the fleets have used Crown Vic stretch models, which have really expanded the passenger area. Anyone been inside an NYC Malibu taxi yet? I almost got one this week but someone beat me to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That would be my query although I will admit that I haven't driven a new BU yet. What I DO know is that NOBODY likes to sit behind me when I drive comfortably. With a normal/small driver it may be OK -grin-

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
We were in Vegas a few months ago and they have a BUNCH of 08 Malibu LS taxis. I was in 2 or 3 of them. No squeaks, rattles, idled smooth, shifted smooth. They all had anywhere from 55k-80k on them. Seemed to be holding up well.

Yes, the are a bit smaller than the Crown Vics, but not NEARLY as tight as the stupid Prius taxis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.