Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced coolant pressure test kit that fits the coolant reservoir (2007 Maxx SS 3.9L)? Trying to track down a leak that looks like it is coming from the radiator side (may be as simple as replacing clamps or hoses). Hopefully it is not the radiator itself since it was one of the last things I replaced on the car (not driven daily).

I cannot get rentals due to COVID and I don't want to deal with building a pressure kit. On the flip side, I also don't need a full universal kit.

@djmophiya
2007 Malibu Maxx SS
Car Audio Enthusiast

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Can't you just see where its coming from? I also thought those pressure testers went on the rad itself...not the overflow. Does your rad have plastic tanks on the side? Using the pressure tester will not really make it easier to see the leak IMO. Just really clean it up.... and check it out.....is it up top, bottom, or the cooler lines?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't you just see where its coming from? I also thought those pressure testers went on the rad itself...not the overflow. Does your rad have plastic tanks on the side? Using the pressure tester will not really make it easier to see the leak IMO. Just really clean it up.... and check it out.....is it up top, bottom, or the cooler lines?
Unfortunately No, I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from right now, just kind of the area. I saw coolant dripping at the area near one of the radiator mounts. The only cap that I have is the one on the expansion tank above the brake booster along the firewall.

I just want to be able to find the leak(s) and eliminate. I also want make the hoses are good to go. I think using a pressure tester would be wise because i will not have to run the car to get hot to find out, so that is the main reason I am looking for the pressure tester.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,680 Posts
Dye.

Make sure it's compatible with your type of coolant, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know the pressure tester had to be compatible with the fluid. I am assuming that has to do with the chemicals used ... thanks I will check that out. I'm looking for something that is compatible with the GM Dex-Cool

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,680 Posts
The dye needs to be compatible.

You're bent on getting a pressure tester and we're just sharing other options that you might consider.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Check your local parts store, a lot of them rent tools and maybe a pressure tester with the correct adapters is one of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.