Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Malibu LT has been a good reliable car. But a few days ago i got a engine power reduced indicator. And car stoped accelerating had to call a tow, changed the battery and started working fin the a few hr later heard a noise and the coolant reservoir was spitting out vapor and coolant and it over heated or so i was thinking killed ignition and checked coolant and it was supero low, when cool again i added cooland slowly and turned on ignition and slowly added coolant until at recommended level. Car did it again after 20min running idll started spiting out vapor and coolant from the overflow until there was no coolant. When it gets to 200f it wont run or it turns off and wont start again, when cool it starts and runs but idle is rough. Any ideas? I was thinking a bad thermostat or blown head gasket..

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,153 Posts
Pull the t-stat and run it without one to see if it continues to consume coolant or not. If it does, then you have a mechanical issue that will take more testing. It could be the water pump, since cooling relies on circulating the coolant.

· Registered
1 Posts
These cars have a long history of cooling system issues that almost invariably lead to blown head gaskets. The issue usually starts with a fault in the cooling fan circuit (fuse, relay, fan, etc) that causes the first overheat event. If your lucky you can refill coolant and bleed system thoroughly but most of the time the head will warp and the head gasket fails. If all other cooling system components check good your last best hope is to add a bottle of head gasket repair juice like Bar’s-Leaks Head Gasket Fix. Follow the directions and cross your fingers!

· Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
223 Posts
These cars have a long history of cooling system issues that almost invariably lead to blown head gaskets. The issue usually starts with a fault in the cooling fan circuit (fuse, relay, fan, etc) that causes the first overheat event. If your lucky you can refill coolant and bleed system thoroughly but most of the time the head will warp and the head gasket fails. If all other cooling system components check good your last best hope is to add a bottle of head gasket repair juice like Bar’s-Leaks Head Gasket Fix. Follow the directions and cross your fingers!
Motorpro-you -I’m certain-have way more auto knowledge than I but-from personal experience-I wouldn’t advise Bar’s leak-could cause more harm than good-put it in my ‘85 S10 back in like ‘94 & blew a manifold gasket soon afterwards-(I was advised to try it by a “mechanic” due to leak in radiator)

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,153 Posts
It's a bit suspicious to have a new member join just to recommend a brand name product.

Being new, there's also some concern about a statement as sweeping as "These cars have a long history of cooling system issues ...". I'm not saying it isn't the case, but one has to be careful these days.

@repairman54 will likely poo-poo the idea of using a mechanic in a bottle. There's no "fixing" possible when there is actual damage. About the best you can hope for is a stay of execution before it finally fails.

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Bad T stat is most likely the problem.
Running the motor hot will cause other problems, guaranteed.
Putting ''magic'' products in the cooling system is just less money for a proper repair.
Cars are expensive, if one is not knowledgeable on repairs take it to someone who is. A correct repair is way cheaper than a car replacement today.

Reactions: DrivenDaily and JJA

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Compression test will show if head gasket is leaking. All cylinders should test within 10% of each other.
Test should be done with all the plugs out and the throttle wide open when cranking motor over.
I would expect readings over 140 psi. I'm not positive on the spec on your motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.