Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,594 Posts
Interesting that vivache even found this thread, considering it's nearly 4 years old and was in the Gen7 section. Moved to Gen5&6...

Good info on the relay, too! First post and you're already sharing very useful stuff.

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts
If you follow the link in post #11, even though the indicated part number doesn't show up at this time, there are several options that appear to have that all sorted out, and they automatically turn the fans on/off using the temperature.

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts
Easy way to tell is to turn the engine off, get a test light out, turn the key to RUN but don't start it, then turn on the AC. There are only 2 wires at the AC clutch, one is ground, the other is 12V. Use the 12V wire.

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts
@imoldnslow

You can do that, but it'd be better if you had the switch turn on a relay that is under the hood. That way, the switch doesn't carry the current and the risk of overheating the wire and/or switch contacts is reduced. Plus the wire to the relay is smaller and easier to route.

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts
Hello, looking to revive this post if possible - as I am having a very similar set of circumstances. I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LTZ v6 3.5L. My radiator cooling fans will not automatically kick on.

The fans do work& there is circuit continuity, as they will both kick on if the a/c is turned on. All relays & fuses have been checked for continuity & working condition. The thermostat & coolant temperature sensor have been replaced. The coolant system has been flushed& bled repeatedly. The coolant pump has been stethoscoped for good measure.

Bottom line is: the radiator fans are not kicking on, even when the temperature meets or exceeds operating temperature/mid-line on the temperature gauge. I've had it to a mechanic twice who claims there are no codes& has costed me hundreds to no avail.

Any help would be profoundly appreciated!
Check the other thread where you posted this same issue. I responded there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts