Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Anyone know where this is? I personally dont sorry. Would be good to know...

I would start right at the fan.....work back.....seee a relay? Swap it with a good one...see how ya make out, etc......not sure about how it gets to the pcm

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,462 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am working on a 2000 malibu V6. the cooling fans do not turn on and is causing the car to overheat. all relays and fuses have been checked for the fans, as well as checking the fans directly and still getting no response. I had someone tell me that the fans were wired into the a/c system, and that i should try checking out all of the a/c fuses and relays. i wanted to know if this was true or not. and also looking for any suggestions or if anyone has had this problem how did you resolve it??

:confused:
I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu ls All of a sudden the fans don't go in to mode with the AC turned on I've done a diagnostic and everything is good including the relays however if I remove the 30 amp ground fuse and the dual mode relay then push Back in the number 2 fan goes into high mode And I install the relay back and both fans come on in high mode I can't figure out why your fans don't come on into high mode when I turn on the AC all fuses and relays are good as well as the trmp sensor. Sometimes the fansceill comenon high mode ones the temp reaches about. 220 Anyone have any ideas

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the schematic for the fans:

The PCM does the fan control. The PCM takes inputs from the AC system and the coolant temp sensor and determines when to turn on the fan.

Bill
Hi Bill I hope you might be able to answer my Question...I am trying to help my neighbor with her 2004 Malibu Maxx and I am disabled so I cannot do all the diagnostics I need to due to NO ROOM in the engine compartment to work. I was wondering if I could go old school and just install a toggle switch with a fuse directly to the two fans? I want to make sure I don't burn up the fans. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
@imoldnslow

You can do that, but it'd be better if you had the switch turn on a relay that is under the hood. That way, the switch doesn't carry the current and the risk of overheating the wire and/or switch contacts is reduced. Plus the wire to the relay is smaller and easier to route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@imoldnslow

You can do that, but it'd be better if you had the switch turn on a relay that is under the hood. That way, the switch doesn't carry the current and the risk of overheating the wire and/or switch contacts is reduced. Plus the wire to the relay is smaller and easier to route.
Thank you for the information, I will try to figure out how to route it through a relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, looking to revive this post if possible - as I am having a very similar set of circumstances. I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LTZ v6 3.5L. My radiator cooling fans will not automatically kick on.

The fans do work& there is circuit continuity, as they will both kick on if the a/c is turned on. All relays & fuses have been checked for continuity & working condition. The thermostat & coolant temperature sensor have been replaced. The coolant system has been flushed& bled repeatedly. The coolant pump has been stethoscoped for good measure.

Bottom line is: the radiator fans are not kicking on, even when the temperature meets or exceeds operating temperature/mid-line on the temperature gauge. I've had it to a mechanic twice who claims there are no codes& has costed me hundreds to no avail.

Any help would be profoundly appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
Hello, looking to revive this post if possible - as I am having a very similar set of circumstances. I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LTZ v6 3.5L. My radiator cooling fans will not automatically kick on.

The fans do work& there is circuit continuity, as they will both kick on if the a/c is turned on. All relays & fuses have been checked for continuity & working condition. The thermostat & coolant temperature sensor have been replaced. The coolant system has been flushed& bled repeatedly. The coolant pump has been stethoscoped for good measure.

Bottom line is: the radiator fans are not kicking on, even when the temperature meets or exceeds operating temperature/mid-line on the temperature gauge. I've had it to a mechanic twice who claims there are no codes& has costed me hundreds to no avail.

Any help would be profoundly appreciated!
Check the other thread where you posted this same issue. I responded there.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts