Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone handling coronavirus hysteria where you're from? (Please refrain from politics.)

In Maryland, many employers are using work-from-home wherever possible. All public events are cancelled or postponed. Grocery stores are definitely feeling the impact of disaster paranoia with stocks low on toilet paper and hand soap among other things. With the recent announcement of school closures for the next two weeks, places like the hospital where my wife works are borderline panicking because without childcare arrangements, as much as a quarter of the hourly staff are expected to call out.

We have--I believe--a dozen confirmed coronavirus cases in the state at this point. My wife and I were planning to go out of town for a long weekend later this month, and honestly we don't know what's going to happen between now and then. In a worst case scenario full quarantine situation, we have an emergency supply of probably 3 weeks of food and plenty of household supplies. (No, we aren't TP hoarders, but I did happen to restock our Charmin Ultra Strong 2 weeks ago. :ROFLMAO:)

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I bought some food, some soap. I've got a few weeks of food and stuff should dozens turn to thousands and quarantine be necessary. I doubt that will happen now that they are actually testing.

They closed all schools in Michigan which leaves my wife with a few paid weeks off. Unfortunately there was actually a connection at her school to a positive case.
I work from home 4 days a week with another near Detroit and then once a month in CA. All of that travel cancelled for a few weeks. We had planned on going to North Carolina for break but that seems dead. We have a cabin in the UP of Michigan so will probably just go do the spring opening of that since it is desolate.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,675 Posts
My company's corporate HQ has told us to prep for certain workers to work from home. We begin testing the theory of that next week.

My religious meetings have been cancelled for 2 weeks.

I have enough food for maybe a couple of weeks, and if I eat lunch and dinner out, it'll last that much longer.

A couple weeks ago, before it became a bigger issue, I had to go shopping and that's why I have food and TP. No other special preparations other than a bit more caution at work and in public.

I might get a new air filter for my car just so it doesn't get a virus. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
many stores I visited yesterday to buy a few grocery items were picked clean of a lot of stock...the amount of completely stuffed shopping carts was surprising to me...we will get through this...it is not the end of everything...

I spoke with employees at every place I visited yesterday and they too believe that many shoppers are overreacting...

hope all is well where you are...

Bill

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I went out late last night around 11 to grab some things from my local Meijer. Shelves are picked clean of bread, paper products, soap, frozen pizza, pasta sauce, all meat in the store, and about 70% of the produce is gone. I haven't seen anything like it.

Michigan Public and Private schools are closed through April 3. After closing, the superintendent of my wife's school district sent a survey to the community to feel out community needs and such. Last night we got results: the community approved of the closure by over 95% and the same 95% want spring break to remain as scheduled and not moved to be part of the covid19 closure. That said, the wife is now off until April 13. I also found out the corporate office and 9 regionals I work for are all closed until the end of the month. I hope all this keeps this Chevy Spark from turning into a rusted out Chevy Suburban with tinted windows and a lift kit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our grocery store has been picked clean of paper products and bread among other things. It's starting to piss me off. Buy bread when you need it! My wife and I were going to make brats or chicken wraps for dinner, but the store was totally out of hotdog buns and tortillas.

We have our backup food supply, but it's totally ridiculous to already lose access to perishable food because of selfish hoarding.

I believe our COVID-19 case count is up near 40, so this very likely to stretch out for months and people need to learn to be decent human beings or society will rapidly devolve into violent altercations.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
We now have 2 drive up testing sites near Grand Rapids. The problem is not many get approval for testing. They are still only giving approval for testing if you were overseas or in contact with someone confirmed as positive. Over the last couple days I've become aware of a friend, wife's coworker, and neighbor that have flu like symptoms. Two of them negative for flu but can't get the covid test because of the guidelines. On one hand, it doesn't really matter as the treatment or lack thereof is the same. On the other hand either a way to ration scarce tests or keep stats down.

The supply thing and hoarding is nuts. From what I hear stores are still nearly empty as far as toilet paper, meat, bread, soap around here. A lot of people bought supplies in the last week. The stragglers are picking the bones as it comes in. If we actually move to a mandatory lockdown for two or more weeks people will rush to get supplies again and they aren't there. That leads to major problems and I'm not sure that can work anymore. If that comes i have to get the "tools" ready to protect the home and family and never thought I would be doing that Zombie Apocalypse style.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NYC just announced full quarantine, shelter in place. In a 24 hour period, they went from 400 to 800 cases of the virus. If Maryland had been further along in cases, we'd be in the same boat with Baltimore City, because young invincible morons chose to party en masse over the weekend at bars despite the virus warnings.

Medical institutions are desperate to curb the rate of infection, because that will mean the difference between the 3% mortality rate we have seen elsewhere in the world versus 1% or less.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Installed a bidet a year and a half ago and we've hardly ever bought toilet paper since. It's like going from a car that gets 18MPG to a car getting 60+MPG. Although now that we cant get TP were finally low. Ughh.

We're down to one income now but no daycare cost so we're okish. Might forgo paying rent and select other Bill's just to keep the next paycheck cash just in case.

On the bright side of things our home is super clean and getting organized. Hanging up pictures and planting seeds is really nice. Excited for spring even if quarantined. Kind od looking forward to a little break from everything. Hope you all are well but I'm excited to be free obligation for a time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My morning today...

MD governor: "All non essential businesses must close by 5 pm today and remain under strict quarantine protocol."

Me: (starts making plans for quarantine vacation)

My boss: "We're essential."

Me: (cancelling plans) "Yes, obviously."

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are really locked down out here in British Columbia. I live about 50 miles north of Seattle and people travel back and forth a lot but not anymore. We are out of bread and paper products right now pretty sad. People need to learn to isolate the sick more quickly. Inconvenience hundreds or even thousands with military quarantine to save and maintain the freedom of millions and billions. Unfortunately too many believed it was a hoax and now look everything's closed and economies are crumbling.

·
Administrator
17,675 Posts
This morning I was told via email and my immediate manager that our company is exempt due to being considered critically needed.

This afternoon, just before getting ready to head out, that same manager came by asking for some kind of "deliverables" list to send to upper management so I don't lose my job.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do you mean "deliverables"

Apparently I'm deemed necessary but I really dont think so. There are those with my job that do, on occasion, directly support some critical occupations but in general we should not be out there traveling around town as our job requires

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
In my area, a rural area about 20 minutes from relatively urban Grand Rapids MI, many don't give a crap about the "stay home stay safe" order. People that usually have one car in their junk filled garage and a car outside have two or more extra cars in the driveway. One house had a birthday party with maybe 15 cars. Kids are out in the street in groups playing. The local golf course (two guys riding hip to hip in a cart?) and bowling alley were deemed necessary as it fits under the exercise exception. The airport is still operating. I am not sure if they don't care and are just thumbing their nose or they truly believe it's a hoax. My 401k thinks it's real.

·
Administrator
17,675 Posts
What do you mean "deliverables"

Apparently I'm deemed necessary but I really dont think so. There are those with my job that do, on occasion, directly support some critical occupations but in general we should not be out there traveling around town as our job requires
I work on a computer all day long. I support the folks in the F&A department by keeping their web pages working and I modify or create automation in MS Access and Excel.

Most of what I do is assist when there is an issue with the network, or (as above) an internal company-owned web page or other automation has an issue.

Lately, I've been tasked with seeing if I can speed it up a SQL stored procedure that uses "If Exists" and is very slow. What my supervisor and I have accomplished over the space of several months (yes, "months"!) was to reduce the maximum time from between 2 to 6 minutes down to less than 1 second to 11 seconds. It uses "Inner Joins" and is a speed bird compared to that slower version. If it hadn't been for CoViD-19, it would have been put into production Monday of this week, but the folks who use it are working from home, so we're gonna wait until at least some of them return and they can get immediate attention right at their desks if an issue should develop.

"Deliverable": A project that can be started and finished in a set amount of time. It's rare that I have one of those, since most of the stuff that's needed is already in place.

·
Administrator
17,675 Posts
In my area, a rural area about 20 minutes from relatively urban Grand Rapids MI, many don't give a crap about the "stay home stay safe" order. People that usually have one car in their junk filled garage and a car outside have two or more extra cars in the driveway. One house had a birthday party with maybe 15 cars. Kids are out in the street in groups playing. The local golf course (two guys riding hip to hip in a cart?) and bowling alley were deemed necessary as it fits under the exercise exception. The airport is still operating. I am not sure if they don't care and are just thumbing their nose or they truly believe it's a hoax. My 401k thinks it's real.
Those too young to know better are following the lead of their "adult" patterns, who apparently are either ignorant or just plain stupid. I wonder if some of the folks who've already died could have continued living had everyone acted more quickly.

Back in 2008 my 401k took a nosedive, but recovered almost immediately after and returned to its pre-2008 state and growth. (It's not big, but it's more than $0, which is what I'd have if I weren't working where I am.)

I expect that it'll recover again, but I'm no financial guru, so don't quote me on that. If you do, I'll delete your account, delete all of your posts, and steal the drain plug from your boat. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gas stations drive me crazy. "WOW regular is $2.05/gallon! What's premium?? ...$2.90"

Take your insane price spread and cram it right up your exhaust pipe. You're seriously going to charge me 40% more money to get 93 octane? There should be a law that whatever price you charge for regular, the price increase for premium must be based on a fixed percentage.

·
Administrator
17,675 Posts
... but, but, that ain't Capitalism, is it?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
There is a major oversupply of gasoline currently so thankfully the EPA extended the May 1 summer blend requirements to May 20 meaning we get an extra few weeks to enjoy winter blend. Also, the 15 days to slow the spread is now 30 additional days to slow the spread for a total of (hopefully) 45.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts