Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, All

I was wondering if someone could take a look at their front door striker plates (the unpainted bolt-on part with a post the door latches into) and see if they are installed directly on the body or on some kind of spacer plate?

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. Do your front doors make any unusual clunks when opened?

My car developed a pretty persistent clunk that I couldn't cure with lube or plate repositioning. Upon closer look I managed to see that the way the latch and the striker post are positioned against each other makes the latch almost rub against the front of the brace that holds the post. The shape of the post in that place and certain wear/damage on the latch and post make me think that the only way this will work correctly is to have a spacer installed.

I just don't understand how that design can work smoothly at all and yet this clunk doesn't seem like a common complain. In fact, I am the only one complaining? Weird. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two this would develop into a jammed lock...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you determined where the sound is coming from?
Looking at the latch post, you will see an area that has black material on it. This is the area that the latch guide and latch will strike. Outside of that area will be a metal to metal contact. And the door hinges might need to be adjusted fore or aft accordingly.

I checked mine closely and there seems to be some drop as the latch is released, meaning that the latch and latch post are supporting weight.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you determined where the sound is coming from?
Looking at the latch post, you will see an area that has black material on it. This is the area that the latch guide and latch will strike. Outside of that area will be a metal to metal contact. And the door hinges might need to be adjusted fore or aft accordingly.

I checked mine closely and there seems to be some drop as the latch is released, meaning that the latch and latch post are supporting weight.
I think it was the metal on metal due to imperfect post positioning. I ended up having spacers installed under the posts. That and some fine adjustment of the striker plate position fixed it.
Yes, there is some drop, but I don't think it's uncommon. I noticed that in other cars too. Normally we don't pay attention to that if the locks operate smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.