Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know what happened. I took my car into get a tire fixed and after they jacked up the car and fixed the tire and when I got the car back, I noticed that the 3rd brake light was cracked/broke. The light still works, but why would it crack/break. There is no impact damage to it, it just broke.

So has anyone else had this issue? How to fix? Do you think it would be covered by a warranty of the car?

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,234 Posts
Run some water over it. If it leaks to the inside, take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do not know what happened. I took my car into get a tire fixed and after they jacked up the car and fixed the tire and when I got the car back, I noticed that the 3rd brake light was cracked/broke. The light still works, but why would it crack/break. There is no impact damage to it, it just broke.

So has anyone else had this issue? How to fix? Do you think it would be covered by a warranty of the car?
Maybe the fasteners that secure it were over torqued, causing the plastic housing to be stressed enough to finally crack. If that is the case; warranty should apply.

If there is any evidence of some type of damage from impact or other means; warranty probably wouldn't apply.

Remember there was a bulletin on water leaks at the light because of an insufficient seal and fastener torque. Maybe in production there was an increase on torque on the fasteners that was in excess of its design limit, causing the breakage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took it to the dealer today, which is about 1 hour away. They looked at it and they were puzzled as well since there is no impact damage to it but it broke for an unknown reason. It falls under the warranty since I only have about 20,000 miles on the car. They checked for any recalls on the brake light on this year/model but he claims there were none BUT he stated that something must be up with them because there is a national back order on the 3rd brake lights for this model/year.

So I will be returning to the dealer next week to get the brake light replaced. At least I had some errands to do at Home Depot so the 1 hour trip was not a waste of time, since it takes me an hour to get there and they looked at it for about 1-2 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well just got my 3rd brake light replaced by the dealer. When I spoke with one service counter person we spoke about the brake light breaking. He expressed that he thinks that when the tire people raised my vehicle to take the tire off, they went to high causing the body of the car to twist and breaking the brake light housing. This service counter person claims that this year and model of Malibu you cannot jack it up like normal , you need to barely lift the tire off the ground to change the tire or you cause damage. He claimed it was in the owner's manual as well. I checked, and it is not..... I spoke with the 2nd service counter person about it and he stated that he has not heard about the jacking of the car cause the brake light to break. He stated and the parts guy stated that there was an issue with the brake light and that is why it broke and that is why there is a nation wide back order on them. Oh well, either way it is fixed. I am grateful that it was under warranty. The part is not that expensive it just the labor of removing the headliner and putting it back together.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,691 Posts
Well just got my 3rd brake light replaced by the dealer. When I spoke with one service counter person we spoke about the brake light breaking. He expressed that he thinks that when the tire people raised my vehicle to take the tire off, they went to high causing the body of the car to twist and breaking the brake light housing. This service counter person claims that this year and model of Malibu you cannot jack it up like normal , you need to barely lift the tire off the ground to change the tire or you cause damage. He claimed it was in the owner's manual as well. I checked, and it is not..... I spoke with the 2nd service counter person about it and he stated that he has not heard about the jacking of the car cause the brake light to break. He stated and the parts guy stated that there was an issue with the brake light and that is why it broke and that is why there is a nation wide back order on them. Oh well, either way it is fixed. I am grateful that it was under warranty. The part is not that expensive it just the labor of removing the headliner and putting it back together.
I am glad it got sorted. Lots of claims made by that dealer.

He stated and the parts guy stated that there was an issue with the brake light and that is why it broke and that is why there is a nation wide back order on them
My dealer also said they were bad and replaced the whole light in addition to the nuts.

he thinks that when the tire people raised my vehicle to take the tire off, they went to high causing the body of the car to twist and breaking the brake light housing
Wut?

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Administrator
18,234 Posts
I've run into folks that love to talk just to hear themselves talk, and those who just have to have something to say even if it's wrong. He seems to fall into both camps.

If the car was that dainty, the rear window would shatter on the first pothole and the luggage in the trunk would fall through the floor the first time you closed the trunk lid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The photo the OP posted of the broken light shows the break at where one of the fasteners is located. Looks like it may have been over tightened, causing fatigue, and ultimately fracturing the plastic housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I went to get in my car yesterday and have the exact situation...identical. i had the trunk leak repaired last year. I'm going by the dealer today. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Count me as one that has the crack in the identical location but it has not split in two (yet) like the OP. I have a 2017 Premier, produced in Jan. 2017. The VIN is not in the TSB as having the leak problems (ie the new nut design was supposedly used in my car). No leaks luckily (so far). Like the OP it must have been overtorqued at the factory. The tires were rotated over 3 months ago in my car, no one can blame "improper jacking" in my case. I'm swinging by the dealership in the next few days to have them look at it (car is under warranty).

This had to have happened in the last 3-4 weeks, I notice everything out of kilter (new chips/scrapes) when I wash the car and it definitely did not have a crack in it then.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just discovered the exact break on my 2018 Malibu Hybrid.. I’ll be calling my dealer tomorrow..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact issue with my 2017 Malibu. Was taken to dealer as soon as it was noticed, he looked it over and said there was no leaking and he couldn't find my warranty info in the system. So I went home found the paperwork and my husband took it back in about a month later when he noticed it was leaking. Dealer stated they found our warranty info but it is not covered under warranty, and not recalled. He brought car back home and attempted to contact warranty provider to discuss with no success. I contacted Chevy in attempt to see if it could be covered especially since I found this thread with the same issues. Well had no luck with that either. Took it back to the dealer today to get an estimate. $428. Which is crazy that I should have to pay that since it seems to be a constant issue. Any suggestions on how to get this paid for by warranty or Chevy?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,691 Posts
@midyett22: The leaks from the high mount lamp are very common and there is even a special program for that with extended warranty coverage. The breakage, no specific program yet. I know a half dozen or so forum members have had that break in the exact same place. My guess is a gasket is missing on that side or it is overtorqued from the factory. I doubt it is car wash related as one member here I have spoken with avoids automatic washes and it still broke.

It seems you have already tried a few different avenues to get a cheaper resolution. Is this car over 72,000 miles? If not, I would take a look at the program below and try to get coverage under that since it is leaking. You might want to print it out (or bring your copy) and speak with the service manager. That program is here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165439-9999.pdf

If that goes nowhere, and you have already involved Chevy Customer Assistance there isn't much else you can do other than a lawyer but I wouldn't go that route over $400. You could consider buying that part from a site like gmpartsdirect (make sure you order the replacement fasteners as well) and replace it yourself. It isn't very difficult. The lamp itself is about $80 and the fastener and gasket kit is 5 bucks. The doc above even has replacement instructions.

Reactions: midyett22

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took mine to the dealer on Monday and was informed that it was not covered on my warranty at all.. but, the dealership decided to cover the cost and fix it at no cost to me. I was vert thankful as there was no way I could have been responsible or this damage. I hope they see this is a common issue and resolve it because we should not be responsible for breaking something on our cars that there should be no way to break. Good luck to everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,691 Posts
every one got the same issue so it’s a problem
Everyone does not have the broken lamp issue, but yes about a dozen users on this forum have. Good luck with the replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everyone does not have the broken lamp issue, but yes about a dozen users on this forum have. Good luck with the replacement.
Thanks my fault what I should have said other owners have the same problem so it’s a issue I bought the car brand new after about a month I notice like a scratch kinda like a indent I guess now I know it was pressure so now it broke and almost all the way like the others I really hope it don’t leak I don’t want my headliner ruined hope they have fixed this issue in newer models so others don’t have to go through this take care

·
Administrator
18,234 Posts
No harm done. We understood, but wanted to ensure that future readers would have as accurate an understanding as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Just yesterday I discover the broken part, I wash my car a week ago and it was on perfect condition. I will call the dealership today, I hope it is under warranty my car has only 18,000 miles. Wish me luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts