Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never changed spark plugs myself and was thinking of giving it a try (I've done a deere tractor a bunch of times but never a car). I have a 2016 1.5T. The manual has the original plug being 41-123 (discontinued) which later became 41-153 then 41-156. To make it more fun the 2019 manual listed 41-157 then 2020-2021 manual went back to 41-156. I am all settled on 41-156 as that is what was most recently listed for my 2016 1.5T at acdelco and my alldatadiy account. Rock Auto still lists 41-156. That said, I went to acdelco's parts catalog to verify but it currently says no part found. I couldn't get one to populate under 2016, 2017 or 2018 at all under ignition/spark plugs. Even tried searching spark and spark plug. Just says "no parts found".

Could someone else visit the acdelco parts catalog and see if you can pull up a spark plug for the 2016 1.5T? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine also says no parts found. Also said no parts found for 2017 or 2018 model year 1.5T. 2019 1.5T is the latest I could get the AC Delco website to pull up, a 41-156 plug.

I can tell you that I recently replaced plugs in my 2017 1LT with 1.5T. 41-153 is what come out and 41-156 is what went back in, 5,000 miles no issues.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking that superpro. I had wondered if it was a browser cache thing and sometimes if I point something out like that it suddenly starts working. I'll just go 41-156.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No problem, FYI I used this socket to change. Super easy with it being magnetic, the swivel is also a must.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, just arrived yesterday. Now all I need are some plugs and dig up a T30 I should be all set. Changing the plugs is interval premature but my service contract is ending soon so if something explodes over the next couple months I might still be covered.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I always do my plugs at 80k miles. Even though they can go to 125k or more until misfires start happening I don't want issues of them being difficult to remove. Turbo even more critical IMO as they are more stressed.
Cold motor, crack loose, turn in slightly and back out again. We want to ''knock off'' any carbon on the exposed threads inside the head by working back and forth slightly as not to damage aluminum threads in the head before complete removal.
I always use anti-seize on my plugs in every one of my engines no matter cars, trucks, motorcycle, snowmobiles, mowers, etc. . I've got a total ''cylinder count'' of 40.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I did complete a spark plug change this weekend. Pretty smooth, took about 35 minutes. The most difficult part was getting off the cover and the foam piece under it. It was really wedged between the engine and throttle body. I didn't want to tear it and have to order a replacement.

The change itself is easy. Not much different than the deere tractor except for the coil boots. Three boots came off really easy and still had some grease on there. One was bone dry, stubborn, and I added a tiny bit hopefully to help next time. Car has been about 100 miles and is fine.

An oddity that is of interest: A couple years ago there was some confusion over specs. It was discussed HERE. ACDelco 41-156 was always the plug but specs on rock auto and delco's own parts catalog listed the pre-set gap at 1.3mm. The user manual and service manual specify 0.6-0.7mm gap for the 1.5T. The plugs I picked up at the dealer were indeed gapped at 0.7mm. However, the 41-156 plugs I removed which the dealer installed in 2018 were gapped at 1.2mm. It would seem for a period of time the 41-156 was gapped higher and has reverted to what it should be. I also found 2 of the coil bolts weren't even torqued they hand turned. The coil bolt torque is 10 Nm but still, these two were turn by hand loose. Also I can tell they didn't use a hand torque wrench to install last time as 3 plugs needed some force and one just started turning.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,192 Posts
Liked, subscribed, and rang that bell.

Oh, wait, those options weren't available. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts