Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does driving in L2 offer any increase in economy compared to D? I know it regen's the battery more aggressively, but curious about actual improvements in fuel economy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Even if it does improve economy, I won't use it because I don't like the feel. I'd rather coast longer distances than have to press on the gas pedal (which usually starts the gas engine) once the car slows down due to aggressive regen. It's also harder in busy traffic unless you master the use of the gas pedal to maintain traffic flow. I have used low when going down long steep hills. But even then, it seems like someone is always behind me requiring me to speed up. It might be better in an EV instead of a hybrid where you don't have an annoying ICE kicking in when more power is needed.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
It's not a black and white question. L2 offers more regen, so used in the right situation it will benefit your fuel economy. If you constantly find yourself stepping back on the gas pedal because the regen bogs you down too much, you're losing fuel economy. You can always switch back and forth on the fly.

I use engine braking all the time both with my stick shift V8 and back when I owned a V6 automatic, and it's a somewhat similar concept. It keeps wear off the brakes and puts the engine in deceleration fuel cutoff mode which is displayed as 99 mpg. If I end up having to hit the gas because I slowed down too much, I'm not benefiting fuel economy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My commute is 80% streets with one way mostly downhill and the opposite for the other way.

I drove in D for several months and was getting 36 mpg overall. I then switched to L2 and my mpg went to 41.

I like L1 for the most part as I brake less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using L2 for most of my driving lately. I assume the brake lights turn on when in regen, but no brake pedal is applied? Right?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been using L2 for most of my driving lately. I assume the brake lights turn on when in regen, but no brake pedal is applied? Right?
I keep meaning to test this. Need to get one of my kids to drive behind me and tell me if the brake lights activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
It's easy to tell at night. First, look in your rear view and tap the brakes so you can see what to expect. Then put it in L2 and let the car begin to slow down, looking in your rear view. Then touch the brakes so you can see if they illuminate or were already illuminated.

My guess is L2 does not use the brake lights because it would require some intricate logic programming. I could be wrong.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
351 Posts
My guess is L2 does not use the brake lights because it would require some intricate logic programming. I could be wrong.
Not apples to apples but the two higher end Tesla’s I’ve driven do activate the brake lights on regen, at least according to the status display on the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I think that's strange that they (anyone) would design the regenerative braking to activate the brake lights so it seems you are riding the brake pedal...

the brake lights are supposed to excite those behind your car to realize traffic is slowing or stopping...having the lights on whenever the regenerative braking is on would negate that safety...

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My salesman said the brake lights activate under regen. Haven't confirmed yet. He says Volt and Bolt do under regen as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the brake lights are supposed to excite those behind your car to realize traffic is slowing or stopping...having the lights on whenever the regenerative braking is on would negate that safety...

Bill
I would say that brake lights are there to indicate to other drivers you and your vehicle are slowing down or stopping. When driving the Tesla’s, at least, when I lifted my foot off the accelerator pedal and the car went in to regen mode it was not unlike hitting the brakes because the car rapidly slowed so can see why they would come on.

It was the hardest thing to get used to and was a major thing I really did not like about the car, having to always having to be on the gas or I was “braking”. I didn’t mess with modes or play around with regen levels, it was a rental, and I eventually got more used to it, but as it was it would have been a real pain in the winter in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been able to see in traffic with a passenger looking out back window for reflection off shiny bumper to see when my brake lights come on. I believe the processor sees a deceleration mode and applies the braking lights. I keep forgetting to ask someone to drive behind me just to prove it out for peace of mind. Personally I don’t care if they come on, especially if it’s going to help get rid of tailgaters. I do worry that a distracted tailgater is not going to have that quick warning that brake lights provide. I had the same problem with my 5 speed vw rabbit. I like to downshift in standard transmissions and regeneration on electric. It’s hard getting information from the cars manual of 750 pages with redundant regurgitated instructions mainly written for ice Malibu cars

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
thanks miweber929...

perhaps when we get used to seeing cars moving forward all the time with their brake lights on for regenerative purposes we won't notice the difference when their is a panic or sudden stop...

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depending on what mode the transmission is in. L1 is high regenerate and the brake lights would come on a lot and stay on as long as you’re still decelerating. On the highway I’m concerned about it. In automatic mode, the regen doesn’t really slow as much as you coast. If you take your foot off the accelerator, you could go through the windshield while in L1 mode. That’s definitely a brake light situation and hopefully it comes on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts