Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2016 Malibu LT1.5 L with 62,283 miles. I just had the brake fluid exchanged at Durand Chevrolet in Hudson, MA and the fluid in the master cylinder looks to be at the same level and the same dark color as that it was at when I dropped it off. I mean I didn't put a mark on the master cylinder but its about halfway down (picture attached). The receipt calls it a "state-of-the-art Brake Tech rapid Replace brake Fluid Exchange Machine". When I went in to question the service rep, a tech was walking by and said that the fluid they just received about a month ago in their machine was darker then what it used to be. He actually walked me out to the machine to show me dark fluid in a container above a machine. I said "okay, thanks", but I really didn't know what I was looking at. In my experience new brake fluid is a much more yellow color. My question is if anyone else has had any experience or knowledge about this. I've never had an issue with this dealer before, but I guess I'm wondering if I paid for nothing or not? Thanks for any info!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
I would, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies! Also, would anyone have any idea why they wouldn't have fully filled the master cylinder? I was wondering if maybe the machine would only put back in the amount of fluid it took out?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
There is a MAX line that allows for thermal expansion and/or fluid return from brake jobs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, a final update. I spoke with the service manager and he wanted to redo the brake flush to give me peace-of-mind. I told him that I was in no way an expert on brake fluid and that if he told me the service was done I would believe him. Anyway, he almost insisted that we redo it (which made me more suspicious lol) and the service was performed yesterday. The fluid is on the dark side and he agreed that it used to have a more yellowish tint. I have included a photo that I just took of the master cylinder today and it does look the same as the original photo I posted, in my opinion. So, I'm happy with that.
On another note, he did say that the tech had found a caliper bolt missing from one of the rear calipers and one missing from the front and asked me who had done my pads and rotors; I told him I had done it myself:cautious:. Now my Haynes manual did say to throw the bolts away and buy new ones so I'm not sure if these are Torque-To-Yield bolts are not; though they did have blue Loctite on them which I did not reapply, I just tightened them as much as I could with my socket wrench. I had actually gone to the dealer on the Saturday I had done my breaks to inquire about the bolts but they are only open M-F so I just went ahead and reused the new bolts. The service manger went ahead and replaced the 2 missing bolts and made sure the rest were tight. So, I guess I'm glad I did have the service redone or else I probably wouldn't have noticed the missing bolts until there was catastrophic failure! The dealer did not charge me for the two bolts either.
Okay, I guess my sum-up here is that if you get a brake fluid flush then the new fluid may be darker than your used to and if you do your own brakes to make sure to get new caliper-bracket bolts or to at least put some Loctite on them.
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts