Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have ideas on whey the battery dies after the car sits for 6 - 8 days without using. This has happened 2 times in the last 3 months after a trip. First time the car was locked. Got the car open but unable to start the vehicle. Called On-Star and towed to nearest dealer who updated programs and tested all batters of all OK. 7/4/2019 came home from a trip and again the car would not start. Called for a Jump Start (battery showed capacity at 25%) but no luck. Towed to dealer again today. Getting the car out of Park was a real joyful project. Love the car but very unhappy with this situation. Any one else having the same problem???

·
Registered
55 Posts
While running and in Park, I've noticed that if the Start/Stop button is pushed when the keyfob isn't recognized (no longer in the interior), it will go into Accessory Mode (amber indicator illuminated on the Start/Stop button); another push is required to switch it off. I would imagine that the 12 V battery would eventually go flat while left in Accessory Mode.

According to the manual, this will also occur if the computer doesn't detect that the vehicle is in Park, in which case it'll enter Accessory Mode and display a 'Shift to Park' notification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, but my problem was neither. Car was parked with engine off, car in park and Key Fob in House. Car is at Chevrolet dealer and will hopefully know the answer next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick Update: After replacing the house battery and installing a battery module and two added modules linking the computers on the car to the battery system it was finally diagnosed that the hybrid battery had a bad cell (cell #4) Unfortunately, you cannot order just a cell for the Malibu, it must be the entire battery. It was shipped by GM and should be in Clearwater and installed tomorrow, 07/23. Sure hope this gets fixed or a Toyota Camry/Avalon is in my future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it back and another failure of the system. Did not take long to fix but enough to motivate me out of the car and into a New Toyota Camry. Very disappointed with the overall experience with GM and the Chevrolet Hybrid Product design with no engine option for a back up in the event the Hybrid Battery Failure.

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,191 Posts
Sorry to read that @Ed M. I think you are one of very few dissatisfied MH owners we have seen on here. Bad luck in your case for sure.

I hope you have better luck with that Camry. Since you no longer have the MH, I'll close this discussion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.