Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the dealership aftermarket sales is negotiable? I'm thinking of getting a Visteon navigation radio system installed at the dealership and they quoted me $1,600.00 installed. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck negotiating prices.

I'm thinking for that price I could by my own stero from crutchfield and install it myself for cheaper. I just want to make sure I don't screw up Onstar.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Umm... I believe that either way you will have problems with OnStar if you change out the radio. OnStar runs through your stock radio. There may be "adapter" kinda things that would help... but I don't know about that.

Anyway... $1,600 is completely ripping you off.. Really really bad. It less than an hour worth of worth to install those kinda of things, and that is if they take their time, so I can not imagine where they get that number from. Granted, I know the Visteon will be a little bit, but not even close to that much.

Anyway, to be completely honest, your best bet is to keep your stock radio, keep the OnStar, and buy a Tom Tom, or some other GPS... If you are seriously looking to spend that much, you can get an AMAZINGLY nice Nav unit. Spend about $300 and get a great one, and trust me, you will be happier and still have $1300 bucks left over, and you know what, it will have 10 times the features of the Visteon unit, and it will be portable too, so you can take it on vacation, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Umm... I believe that either way you will have problems with OnStar if you change out the radio. OnStar runs through your stock radio. There may be "adapter" kinda things that would help... but I don't know about that.

Anyway... $1,600 is completely ripping you off.. Really really bad. It less than an hour worth of worth to install those kinda of things, and that is if they take their time, so I can not imagine where they get that number from. Granted, I know the Visteon will be a little bit, but not even close to that much.

Anyway, to be completely honest, your best bet is to keep your stock radio, keep the OnStar, and buy a Tom Tom, or some other GPS... If you are seriously looking to spend that much, you can get an AMAZINGLY nice Nav unit. Spend about $300 and get a great one, and trust me, you will be happier and still have $1300 bucks left over, and you know what, it will have 10 times the features of the Visteon unit, and it will be portable too, so you can take it on vacation, etc.
I completely agree with with Joeyavhu...the dealer is totally ripping you off. I would however, reccomend a Garmin over a Tom Tom. :rolleyes: Anyways...in my opinion buying a portable GPS would be the better idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I understand I could get a great portable Nav for a fraction of the price.

Thing is I the nav isn't the main reason I was getting a stereo upgrade.

I want to get Bluetooth added to my vehicle to work as close to factory Bluetooth as i can get. Meaning i want it inteagrated into the car nicely. Also the ability to play dvds and eventually run a small monitor to the back seat for my son sounds nice.

Then with the added features of Nav (in case i don't re-up onstar when my year is up).
and usb port for mp3 on my thumb drive.

These are the reasons I want to upgrade my head unit. $1,600.00 is a ton of money but when I look up on Crutchfield what the cost of buying the stero is along with all the other harness I would need to keep all my factory options it seems to come out to about the same price.

But my real question from the beginning was if aftermarket sales at the dealerships were negotiable. The post above me suggests that they are.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
736 Posts
DEFINITELY go to Garmin over TomTom.. the Garmin Nüvi series are perfect. I used to have one (Although I now just subscribe to the Directions and Connections plan from OnStar).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.