Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. (And forgive me I am not too car savvy)

I purchased my 2008 Chevy Malibu in July 2008. Three times I have encountered the problem and the dealership is refusing to take action.

I insert the key and the electrical systems will turn on but the engine won't even attempt to start. It happened shortly after I purchased the car, at 3,000 and 10,000 miles. All three times were in the morning with different temperatures.

First time, my husband tried it with his key and had no problems. Figured it was a bad key.
Second time, after several minutes of training. I called the dealership and they had me call Roadside Assistance. Roadside tried to jumpstart (which failed) so they called out a tow truck. Tow truck operator was able to get to start finally hours after originally trying. I did take it to my local dealership which said they couldn't find a problem
Third time, was just several days ago. And after about 5 minutes of trying it worked.

I called the dealership upset. The service person told me that there are alot of parts to a car and because its working now they can't do anything.

I don't know what do anymore. I have tried 3 times to email the dealership I purchased it from and no one has emailed me back.

Any suggestions/help you all could provide I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks!

edit: fixing my quick spell check

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds like a theft disable thing they call it the pass III key I think. It is connected with the ignition to the BCM. They need to look at it period.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well if you financed the car you have a friend. i had trouble years ago with a very expensive car i had purchased . had no tail lights the day the car was delivered got three blocks from my office and they were gone. took to the stealership .... claimed bad fuse ok so new fuse they delivered it back to me. same thing that night... called next day said not fixed... took the car and again claimed it was a bad fuse. going home that night got a warning ticket from state police no tail lights. he wasnt going to give me since i had a pink slip but i insisted as help to get it fixed..... took it back and told them i can get them to come on if i giggle the headlight switch in the dash ... needs a new switch... we have none on had will take a few days. told them there is one in the widow unsold take that one and order a new one for that car. no you have to wait... asked for the phone which they obliged to let me use called the bank and told them no more payment come and get the car. sat down and their phone rang it was the bank telling to fix the car or lose them for financing. you know the end.... no bank wants a car with little or no payments on it now with all their financical problems trust me they will get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am still waiting for a response.

The only light that comes on when it doesn't start is the check engine light which leads me away from being a theft system.

I financed it through GMAC, they don't care and I drive almost 50 miles a day for work. If I didn't need I would tell them to just take it back and I can go to a dealership that cares about their customers.

Thanks for the responses. Good to know that I am not the only one who thinks it needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Faraday, that sucks. Did you try calling GM directly? That might help to escalate the issue with the dealer's service dept.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine did that on my 09 where it wouldnt start and sometimes it would.. It turned out the battery had bad cells in it and it was causing the computer to do funky things and not let the car start. They swapped the battery and no problems since

·
Registered
201 Posts
call gm customer service and make a complaint. They will contact the dealer on your behalf. That has worked for me. If that doesnt work call a Lemon Law Lawyer (most will not cost you anything) they get paid from the settlement with the dealer when they finally fix it. Don t put up with their BS!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Mine did that on my 09 where it wouldnt start and sometimes it would.. It turned out the battery had bad cells in it and it was causing the computer to do funky things and not let the car start. They swapped the battery and no problems since
Good info. Call the dealer, call GM if need be, and at least pass this info on to the dealer as well, skipping the email route. It stinks having to take your new car in for anything, and it is hard to diagnose & fix something that isn't happening when the dealer examines it, BUT there's clearly an issue. If the dealer it's been to 3 times hasn't done anything, escalate it to the Chevy/GM customer assistance line and try another dealer if need be--making sure to pass on the info above from another Malibu owner with the same issue and how his was resolved. Sometimes even just such a suggestion can be a help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Faraday, Go to page 3 on this Fourm and read "2008 Malibu Starting Problems". The dealer never did find the problem. I purchased the vehicle in August and by mid November after changing many parts and me driving their vehicles for weeks the Manager decided they had spent enough money on this car.
To make a long story short General Motors Canada did what they call a serial number exchange. My 2008 had 6350km or 3945 miles on it which I was responsible for @ .20cents per km . For $1270 Cdn I went into a 2009.
Hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called GM and they have been working with the dealership. I took it in last week and they could not duplicate the issue so the gave me pages of checklists. Then as they were bringing out my car, swiped their garage door.

Luckily I got a rental car while it was a body shop. And need to call the district person with GM on my day off tomorrow.

I unfortunately drive around 48 miles to and from work, so I have a lot of miles already. I am keeping my fingers crossed though. I love my car but its a very bothersome issue.

Thanks for the responses everyone

·
Registered
749 Posts
Call the owner of the dealership an asshole..

He'll fix your car.

Or maybe not..

·
Registered
201 Posts
at this point if you tell GM customer service (if the dealer won t listen) you don t want this car,I think you ll get a new one. (and just pay mileage on the old one)... It s up to what you want now..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.