Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Chevy Malibu we purchased is a great car. One thing I noticed though, call it a design flaw, is on the interior center or B-post. I'm tall 6-2, and when I move the drivers seat all the way back it exposes a tringular shaped ledge on the trim panel. Its made to look and flow with the arm rest on the door. Its also sharp and can stab your thigh getting into the car. I have the bruises to prove it. I called the dealer and Chevy to let them know about it. maybe a cover can be made and installed to cover the ledge. All tall people BEWARE. "owe"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yikes! I didn't notice this in all the models I sat in. Could it be a flaw in the one vehicle, or defintely in the model itself?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'll look at ours tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's an 'extension' of the arm rest...and it doesn't tickle. It's the only thing I don't like about my Malibu. Someone's going to get a nasty bruise after bar night:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who else can I let know about this 'design flaw'? I'd love to get GM to do something about it.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
The new Chevy Malibu we purchased is a great car. One thing I noticed though, call it a design flaw, is on the interior center or B-post. I'm tall 6-2, and when I move the drivers seat all the way back it exposes a tringular shaped ledge on the trim panel. Its made to look and flow with the arm rest on the door.
Mack, I just went out and looked.

Yes, I see what you're talking about. I realize your over 6 ft, but you must be sitting waaay back. Is there another seating position you can find? With the Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel and adjustable pedals you may, hopefully, find a position that would minimize the "ouch" factor. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Never noticed it, but we both clear it. Both my wife and I have 34 to 35 inch inseams. You must have longer legs or like to sit further back. I don't think we have the seat all the way back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm 6'2 and I do feel a little snug inside the car but I like a lot more of it than I dislike.

The only things I dislike are:

1. It's a little tight for me as a driver.
2. Glovebox is small and can't lock.
3. No dual climate adjustment option like I had on my last car. I like having the heat at 90 if I'm cold and the air on 60 if I'm hot. My passengers don't like it so they were able to change their side with my last car.

But overall I like the rest of it A LOT

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I'm 6'2 and I do feel a little snug inside the car but I like a lot more of it than I dislike.

The only things I dislike are:

1. It's a little tight for me as a driver.
2. Glovebox is small and can't lock.
3. No dual climate adjustment option like I had on my last car. I like having the heat at 90 if I'm cold and the air on 60 if I'm hot. My passengers don't like it so they were able to change their side with my last car.

But overall I like the rest of it A LOT
#1 - I'm a wide body and I feel it's a bit of a squeeze for me. :eek: The wife is so tiny she can swim in it.
#2 - I never lock them anyway.
#3 - Dual controls are standard on the LTZ.

·
Registered
167 Posts
#1 - I'm a wide body and I feel it's a bit of a squeeze for me. :eek: The wife is so tiny she can swim in it.
#2 - I never lock them anyway.
#3 - Dual controls are standard on the LTZ.
The LTZ is only a single zone auto-climate control.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The LTZ is only a single zone auto-climate control.
Yep. And this is one of the other things that sometimes bothers me (but not a lot) with the Malibu. It's probably something to do with the platform (just like the lack of GPS nav) though, since many other GM vehicles get dual zone, even if only manual controls. It'll be interesting to see if the next gen car on Ep II gets dual zone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was able to correct the design flaw on the B-pillar. I simply made a cover to go over the ledge and screwed it in place with two very small screws. I made it out of sheet metal and covered it in grey vinyl to match the interior trim. It works great. With the seat all the way back I can slide in now w/o catching myself on the sharp ledge. GM should look into the solution.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was able to correct the design flaw on the B-pillar. I simply made a cover to go over the ledge and screwed it in place with two very small screws. I made it out of sheet metal and covered it in grey vinyl to match the interior trim. It works great. With the seat all the way back I can slide in now w/o catching myself on the sharp ledge. GM should look into the solution.

Care to take pictures and show how you did it? Sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The new Chevy Malibu we purchased is a great car. One thing I noticed though, call it a design flaw, is on the interior center or B-post. I'm tall 6-2, and when I move the drivers seat all the way back it exposes a tringular shaped ledge on the trim panel. Its made to look and flow with the arm rest on the door. Its also sharp and can stab your thigh getting into the car. I have the bruises to prove it. I called the dealer and Chevy to let them know about it. maybe a cover can be made and installed to cover the ledge. All tall people BEWARE. "owe"

I found this trianglular piece the "Hard Way" this evening when I arrived home from work!:( OUCH!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.