Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since i bought my malibu about 2 and a half years ago the paint on the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) has looked terrible so i decided to do something about it. There are still many imperfections in the paint however it still looks much better. I used a harbor freight da polisher with a 5 inch backing plate, some cheap spta foam pads, and meguiars 105, 205, and ultimate compound. I ended up mainly using the ultimate compound instead of the 105 because it kept drying up too fast and leaves too much dust.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
I've been meaning to do the same to mine and just haven't gotten to it. I did it to my first 2011, then took it out for a photoshoot of its own. Then, just 5 months later, a flood took it from me. This one has been mine for 7 years and I'm embarrassed that it hasn't gotten the same care.

Good job, and I'll bet it makes you feel a lot better when you look out the window!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks pretty good!
thanks

Holy crap, remarkable difference! You really revived the paint job.
Yes it made a world of difference now I need to do my equinox and my camaro

I've been meaning to do the same to mine and just haven't gotten to it. I did it to my first 2011, then took it out for a photoshoot of its own. Then, just 5 months later, a flood took it from me. This one has been mine for 7 years and I'm embarrassed that it hasn't gotten the same care.

Good job, and I'll bet it makes you feel a lot better when you look out the window!
Yes it feels so much better not seeing all that faded pink looking paint, It looks even better when the sunlight hits it

Wow! Well done!
thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You did a job well done on repainting this car.
Thanks but I didn't repaint the car I just compounded then polished it and put some spray ceramic on it to help protect it some.

nice work making that red pop!

Bill
thanks, it definitely did bring the red back to life and it REALLY pops in the sun

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome job. Well done!!
thanks
Jayss.... your car looks great - but, I have a question for you:

How long ago did you do your work on your Malibu? A week or so?
took a weekend but honestly would have only taken a day if I would have just used the ultimate compound and not tried out the meguiars 105 first. The 105 works great but it dries up really fast and also leaves a lot of dust so the first day I ended up just trying to mess around with it. Also if your paint isn't super faded like mine was it would take a lot less time, I had to spend a lot of time on the hood, trunk and roof making multiple passes on them to get them to shine. The rest of the car I only had to make 1 pass with the compound and 1 with the polish to get it to shine real nice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
thanks

took a weekend but honestly would have only taken a day if I would have just used the ultimate compound and not tried out the meguiars 105 first. The 105 works great but it dries up really fast and also leaves a lot of dust so the first day I ended up just trying to mess around with it. Also if your paint isn't super faded like mine was it would take a lot less time, I had to spend a lot of time on the hood, trunk and roof making multiple passes on them to get them to shine. The rest of the car I only had to make 1 pass with the compound and 1 with the polish to get it to shine real nice.
Jayss, what I was wondering is whether it was just done recently.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but the roof, hood & trunk on my '10 Malibu LTZ is in the exact, precise, condition as yours in the same areas. Last year, I performed the same process on my car as you had done with the same Meguiars products and a Meguiars MT300 buffer.

It looked remarkably good like your finish for about three weeks.... and then it went back into the same condition within a month. Bottom line: the clear coat (I DESPISE clearcoat paint jobs) was shot. I talked with two reputable auto body shops, and they concurred with my assessment. It appears that your finish is in the same condition.

I expect to sell/trade my Malibu by the end of '20. I will clean/wax my Malibu as before, but I'm seriously considering also putting down a ceramic on top of the finish so it MIGHT last a little longer appearance-wise until my Malibu can move on.

I haven't used any of the ceramic products - anyone else in this thread have any thoughts or suggestions as to whether this would be worth doing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jayss, what I was wondering is whether it was just done recently.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but the roof, hood & trunk on my '10 Malibu LTZ is in the exact, precise, condition as yours in the same areas. Last year, I performed the same process on my car as you had done with the same Meguiars products and a Meguiars MT300 buffer.

It looked remarkably good like your finish for about three weeks.... and then it went back into the same condition within a month. Bottom line: the clear coat (I DESPISE clearcoat paint jobs) was shot. I talked with two reputable auto body shops, and they concurred with my assessment. It appears that your finish is in the same condition.

I expect to sell/trade my Malibu by the end of '20. I will clean/wax my Malibu as before, but I'm seriously considering also putting down a ceramic on top of the finish so it MIGHT last a little longer appearance-wise until my Malibu can move on.

I haven't used any of the ceramic products - anyone else in this thread have any thoughts or suggestions as to whether this would be worth doing?
o ok thanks for the info, when i replied i thought you were asking how long it took to do it. It's been about a week and a half now and honestly it still looks like it was just done but I believe that is because I put a ceramic coating over it. I knew that if i didn't put some type of coating on it then it would wear out quickly because there would be nothing to protect it at all since the clear coat was messed up. I will see how it holds up, hopefully it will last for a while if I keep up with applying the coating every few months. I ended up using spray ceramic coating so it only takes like 20 minutes to apply so I don't mind doing it once or twice a year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
o ok thanks for the info, when i replied i thought you were asking how long it took to do it. It's been about a week and a half now and honestly it still looks like it was just done but I believe that is because I put a ceramic coating over it. I knew that if i didn't put some type of coating on it then it would wear out quickly because there would be nothing to protect it at all since the clear coat was messed up. I will see how it holds up, hopefully it will last for a while if I keep up with applying the coating every few months. I ended up using spray ceramic coating so it only takes like 20 minutes to apply so I don't mind doing it once or twice a year.
Jayss01, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your response on the ceramic coating - that is GOOD to hear! Your car's finish looks sharp, and I always did like that color.

Now, I'll take the time & effort to work on my car's finish again, PLUS the ceramic. It'll bring me some additional coin when I sell it.

Eons ago, I worked my way through high school at a used car lot reconditioning cars, and became skilled in restoring car finishes that looked really bad.... spent a lot of time mastering the use of a pro-level Black & Decker Random Orbit buffer. I was good enough in my work that I was hired at a local Mercedes/Porsche dealer to recondition finishes on those cars before I moved on to the corporate world.

Ahhhh, but those cars had SINGLE STAGE paint jobs.

Wish that we had never moved on to water based paints w/clearcoat finishes!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jayss01, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your response on the ceramic coating - that is GOOD to hear! Your car's finish looks sharp, and I always did like that color.

Now, I'll take the time & effort to work on my car's finish again, PLUS the ceramic. It'll bring me some additional coin when I sell it.

Eons ago, I worked my way through high school at a used car lot reconditioning cars, and became skilled in restoring car finishes that looked really bad.... spent a lot of time mastering the use of a pro-level Black & Decker Random Orbit buffer. I was good enough in my work that I was hired at a local Mercedes/Porsche dealer to recondition finishes on those cars before I moved on to the corporate world.

Ahhhh, but those cars had SINGLE STAGE paint jobs.

Wish that we had never moved on to water based paints w/clearcoat finishes!
yup so far it seems like the ceramic really helps, I actually ended up getting some dust from the compound stuck in the ceramic coating somehow in a spot on the roof and now I can't get it out because the ceramic dried up. I figure if it hardens enough to where I can't just easily remove that then it's on there pretty good. Of course I could get it out by compounding that spot again but at this point I will just leave it alone and get to it in a few months when I reapply the ceramic again if it lasts that long which I hope it will. The true test will be to see how it holds up over winter, If it does hold up I will be very happy but if it does go back to how it was I will be a little disappointed just because of the time I did spend shining it up.

Reactions: jes2
1 - 18 of 18 Posts