Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2011 chevy malibu LTZ ecotec 4 cylinder motor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will crank with no problem or slowing down of the starter. but just wont start. It will take up to 4 or 5 tries or sometimes not at all until someone else tries. Once it starts it will purr like a kitten. drives fine no hesitation . Fuel pumps at 60 PSI. Alternator charges fine Batttery is brand new 2 cam shaft sensors from solinoed at 70.00 dollars each . they cleaned the MAFsensors with some kind of spray. Added half a little bottle of something when I suggested maybe is water in the gas tank. After 6 trips to mechanic he told me there was a crack in the manifold which is causing the problem. He said it would be 3000 dollars to fix at his shop. Sugggested I go to \midas they could weld it . I do not think there is a crack at all he tried to show me I couldn t see one. Does anyone know if a small crack would actually create this problem only on a cold engine?
And the OBD code reading was 172.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
Slow to crank - how is the starter?

· Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Time for a new ''mechanic''. I drove my '09 with a crack in the exhaust manifold to 190k miles and sold the car which was running fine.
The common exhaust manifold crack will not prevent the engine from starting. You have another issue going on.

· Premium Member
2,412 Posts
If I was to guess.....the engine temperature sensor is acting up...or ..the crankshaft position sensor and/or the camshaft position sensors are intermittently failing.

An educated mechanic with an advanced scan tool would look at the feedback from many sensors while the engine is failing to start in order to determine the cause.

When cranking yet failing to start, if the tachometer stays at zero, this would indicate a bad crank position sensor.
All wiring and connectors associated with engine management need to be %100.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time for a new ''mechanic''. I drove my '09 with a crack in the exhaust manifold to 190k miles and sold the car which was running fine.
The common exhaust manifold crack will not prevent the engine from starting. You have another issue going on.
Thanks for your input on your cracked manifold thats good to know. However I believe it was the mechanic that gave me my walking papers because he couldn't figure it out.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
If I was to guess.....the engine temperature sensor is acting up...or ..the crankshaft position sensor and/or the camshaft position sensors are intermittently failing.

An educated mechanic with an advanced scan tool would look at the feedback from many sensors while the engine is failing to start in order to determine the cause.

When cranking yet failing to start, if the tachometer stays at zero, this would indicate a bad crank position sensor.
All wiring and connectors associated with engine management need to be %100.
Thanks Elvis. I thiink I am going to go with the ECT sensor. Because a crankshaft positioning sensor would probably affect the car in other ways not just a cold start,.would it not. It runs great once it has started. And in my #$%^ mechanic's defense He never had a cold start it had already been started 2 hours prior before he had to start it. I will try this ECT sensor in a few days. If you can think of anything else I'm all ears. I appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,014 Posts
Thanks Elvis. I thiink I am going to go with the ECT sensor. Because a crankshaft positioning sensor would probably affect the car in other ways not just a cold start,.would it not. It runs great once it has started. And in my #$%^ mechanic's defense He never had a cold start it had already been started 2 hours prior before he had to start it. I will try this ECT sensor in a few days. If you can think of anything else I'm all ears. I appreciate all the help. Thanks again.
I had a 94 Chevy with the 4-cylinder. When it got hot, it would fail to start, but once it cooled down it would start no problem.

I finally tracked it down to a crank sensor. When I went to replace it, that is when I also discovered that the one in there was loose, but I chose to replace it regardless. That fixed the issue.

The ECT is the Engine Coolant Temp sensor. It won't keep the engine from being started. I've been through that already with my current ride, a 2011 V6.

· Registered
32 Posts
It will crank with no problem or slowing down of the starter. but just wont start. It will take up to 4 or 5 tries or sometimes not at all until someone else tries. Once it starts it will purr like a kitten. drives fine no hesitation . Fuel pumps at 60 PSI. Alternator charges fine Batttery is brand new 2 cam shaft sensors from solinoed at 70.00 dollars each . they cleaned the MAFsensors with some kind of spray. Added half a little bottle of something when I suggested maybe is water in the gas tank. After 6 trips to mechanic he told me there was a crack in the manifold which is causing the problem. He said it would be 3000 dollars to fix at his shop. Sugggested I go to \midas they could weld it . I do not think there is a crack at all he tried to show me I couldn t see one. Does anyone know if a small crack would actually create this problem only on a cold engine?
And the OBD code reading was 172.
I would be looking at buying a new oem MAF sensor if the car has some miles on it. I tried cleaning mine, an 08 LTZ 3.6, with the special spray and it did'nt do much. I bought a new one from rock Auto and it's run fine ever since.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be looking at buying a new oem MAF sensor if the car has some miles on it. I tried cleaning mine, an 08 LTZ 3.6, with the special spray and it did'nt do much. I bought a new one from rock Auto and it's run fine ever since.
Thanks for your input. As it turns out the problem was water in the gas tank. I just added something called "Heet". Gave it a good run of 50 miles and everything is great now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts