Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and new to owning a Malibu. I just bought on 08' Malibu LTZ V6 2 days ago, and having issues. I hope my case is just an isolated case, as I'm certainly dissapointed in what I'm about to tell you, since I spent six months decided on whether to buy an Accord, Camry, or Malibu.
Well after my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a Malibu, my search began. I ended up finding an 08 Malibu LTZ V6 in North Texas with only 2400 miles on the clock. I agreed on a price with the dealer, and this past Friday morning flew to Dallas to buy the car and drive the 1400 miles back to Miami, FL. Seems crazy, but the money we saved seemed worth it. Dealer picks me up, takes me to the dealership, I look the car over, test drive it, and buy it. Carfax was clean on the car, ect... The story the dealer told me was that an elderly couple bought the car in Jan this year, the wife passed, (it was her car) then the husband sold the car back to the same dealer he bought it new from, as he no longer needed it. I did some research, and it seemed to check out. It was a car I found on e-bay, and the dealer had 100% feedback. All seems well.

The first 1/2 of the first day driving the car back, all seemed well with the car, then I started noticing a hesitation issue with the car. The more I payed attention to the car, and the more used to the car I get, the more I really feel it. I think the car had the issue all along, but since it being a new car to me, you don't really notice things right away. Here is what's going on. When I am cruising, basically at any speed, then let off the gas coasting, I fell a hesitation, pulsing, vibrating feeling, as if the engine is missing, or the tranny is doing something strange. It's difficult to descibe the feeling in words, but it's like the car is lurching back and forth. You don't really feel it when you are accelerating moderately or stongly, but on normal acceleration, the hesitation is there. By the second day of the trip (yesterday), I am really dissapointed in this car. I am really feeling this vibration, hesitation, pulsing, lurching stongly. So strongly in fact, it is really making driving this car tiresome, as I am being almost constantly jerked back and forth on any type of normal acceleration, de-acceleration, or coasting. I arrived home after the 1400 mile trek in 2 days late last night, and here I am dissapointed and frustrated. I really want to like this car, and hope this can be fixed, as there is no way this can be normal.
All this morning, I have been doing research on-line to find this problem, and have not been able to find any mention of this in any web site I could find.
Needless to say, the car is going to my local dealer tomorrow to get checked out.

Has anyone heard of this issue with this car, or can anyone give me some advice? I hope I didn't get a lemon.

On a side note, when you are cruising with the cruise control on, the car is smooth and straight. I took the car to 100mph, just for a moment, and it didn't have any alignment or balance issues.

One other thing I noticed. With the engine on, and the car in park, I can feel the engine missing slightly at idle.

I really want to like this car, as besides the hesitation issue, it's a really nice car.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Rob.

PS, I also posted this in the Problems forum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i assume no check engine light is on? Sounds like something they will find right away. This could be caused by so many simple things. They will run it thru the computer and see if anything shows wrong. Give it time and you may correct the problem. Sorry , I know how annoying this can be but it may only be a memory by next week. Keep us [posted.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I wish you the very best, Rob. I haven't heard this before, either. Sorry it happened to you. I've had my LTZ since January and have 2600 with no issues what so ever.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Actually, sounds similar to some issues there were with early Saturn Aura's with the 3.6L (identical in every way under the skin). Owners reported random shaking at idle as well as that feeling under deceleration. Oddly, same thing with the pushrod 3.5L used in a lot of Aura's and G6's still, and I'm having a bit of it in my G6.

I believe it's a programming issue related to the lean/rich fuel/air mixture and something else. But what's odd is I haven't seen this brought up in relation to any '08s, Aura or Malibu, but you never know.

Here's a couple of the Aura threads discussing similar things:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103797&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97744&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96912&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85241&highlight=rough+idle

Especially in the first link, the symptoms sound IDENTICAL. Still weird that an '08 Malibu would suffer from any of it, but it can happen. Feels like it's stumbling or chugging? If so, I think that's because it is. Same thing with my '08 G6 3.5L, despite being a different powertrain.

There may be a computer update but as I haven't heard anything much about this, it's only a guess. Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for posting that Saturn link Beach. After reading all those posts, it sounds virtually identical to what I'm experiencing.

It's funny, as I was doing the same thing as one of the guys was doing. While on the highway, and coasting, as soon as I'd feel the stumbling, I'd put it in nuetral to try and see if it was the tranny or engine. I even shut the engine off while coasting to try and figure out what's causing it. Like one of the guys said, it's so bad, it makes me feel like I don't want to drive it. I sure hope when I take it to the dealer they don't tell me this is normal. If they do, this thing is being SOLD. I sure hope it doesn't come to this, as I'd like to keep this car.

Rob.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rob - Firstly Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing....I hope the dealer is able to diagnosis it and fix it quickly for you! I am sure once this issue is resolved you will fall in love with the car all over again. Good Luck with the dealer and please be sure to update us on your progress.

Cheers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting that Saturn link Beach. After reading all those posts, it sounds virtually identical to what I'm experiencing.

It's funny, as I was doing the same thing as one of the guys was doing. While on the highway, and coasting, as soon as I'd feel the stumbling, I'd put it in nuetral to try and see if it was the tranny or engine. I even shut the engine off while coasting to try and figure out what's causing it. Like one of the guys said, it's so bad, it makes me feel like I don't want to drive it. I sure hope when I take it to the dealer they don't tell me this is normal. If they do, this thing is being SOLD. I sure hope it doesn't come to this, as I'd like to keep this car.

Rob.
After reading this thread and the included Saturn Aura thread, this sounds exactly like the problem I am having. Anyone familiar with this Aura issue? Rob J are you still a member of this site? Any update with your Malibu?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading this thread and the included Saturn Aura thread, this sounds exactly like the problem I am having. Anyone familiar with this Aura issue? Rob J are you still a member of this site? Any update with your Malibu?
Hi, yes I'm still here. I've taken the car to one of my local dealer's twice, and they have been no help. They have told me if the car is not dropping any codes, there is nothing we can do. I've been so busy with work, and raising our two small kids, I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this issue. This car is mainly driven by my wife, whom is usually totally oblivious to anything car related. I never told her of the issue to see if she would notice. After about 1 week, she noticed the same thing as me and brought it to my attention. So I KNOW I'm not crazy! Another thing I noticed shortly after my original post reporting the problem, is that the car occasionally has a rather strong sulfuric smell emminating from the exhaust. A few friends of mine even have pointed it out to me, the times they've ridden in the car with me.

I need to start making more noise on this issue, as I KNOW it's not normal. I've owned more than 30 cars in my lifetime, and have even built a Factory Five replica Cobra myself, so I consider myself somewhat car saavy.

Let me know what you find out with your car.

Rob.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree this isn't normal, I am trying to do some research before I go back to the dealer and make more noise. Right now they are telling me it's normal because other malibu's on the lot have the same vibration.

·
Registered
201 Posts
contact a lemon law lawyer or file a complaint yourself with the state division of consumer affairs if you feel you can handle it yourself. Most lawyers in this field will not even charge you . They will get paid from the dealer when they prove your complaint.

·
Registered
472 Posts
contact a lemon law lawyer or file a complaint yourself with the state division of consumer affairs if you feel you can handle it yourself. Most lawyers in this field will not even charge you . They will get paid from the dealer when they prove your complaint.
A little hard to do when the Dealer is another state 1400 miles away. Always a nice way to ruin the relationship with the dealer.

I have always found the best way to handle these things is to calmly talk to the Service Writer and describe the problem and then let the Tech decide what to do. Don't offer solutions.

Bill

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't think it was a tire and wheel issue.

I actually, unfortunately haven't had the time to take the car back in. Life is so hectic for us with both myself and the wife working, and raising two young children. I will let you guys know what happens next time I'm able to take it back to the dealer.

Seems like that incident in the link you posted is not related to our issue.

Rob.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A little hard to do when the Dealer is another state 1400 miles away. Always a nice way to ruin the relationship with the dealer.

I have always found the best way to handle these things is to calmly talk to the Service Writer and describe the problem and then let the Tech decide what to do. Don't offer solutions.

Bill

The lawyer won t care how far the dealer is if he practices in that state. Who care s about the relationship with a dealer 1400 miles away. Then if they can t promptly fix it you ll get a new car or cash back. I get ticked off cause they don t care about your wasted time or money. I just got back $1500 from my dealer after they tried to pull a fast one by selling a damaged new car. PS Looks like they been stringing him along for 3 months already. Get a lawyer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rob, here is what I posted back in July. http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13&page=13

Sounds like we have similar problems. I have also had the rumbling and vibration forever now. I've given up now. It's a company car, so I drive my own cars as soon as I get home.

Good luck with your car. Without a definitive fix, my dealer is clueless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.