Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed any 'nit-picky' items that feel should be addressed on the Next Malibu Refresh ?

I have a few - now that I have owned my Malibu for 1 week, I have concluded a few things.

1 - I am 100% glad I went with the 3.6 - the 4cyl would have not been 'enough' for me or my wife.....and
2 - I LOVE this car.

But saying this - there are a few items that I would change/fix to make it more user friendly.

1 - There is a little point/triangle of plastic on the rear of the front door opening that I hit my hip on every single time I get in and out of the car....its actually quite annoying. I really serves no purpose but I can see why they put it there...to complete the arm rest - but I dont think anybody would really put their elbow all the way back there while driving. - I'm 6'4" and my elbow is not nearly that far back.
2 - The door locks - when locked - they should be flush with the panel or built into the side so they do not protrude so much.
3 - The torque Converter is a little loose.....when cruising a slower speeds - coming back into the throttle - there is a little 'jolt' when getting back into gear....It doesnt seem like the trans will last 100,000 miles with this jolt.
4 - The brakes seem to be a little week - but it could be that I am not used to a 4 door family sedan......I'm sure I will change out the front pads and put in some high quality ones by 20k.

But other then that - during my first week with the car - I am 100% satisfied with my choice of the America made GM Malibu - I would have to say that if more people gave this car a chance they would chose it over the Accord or the Camry - or even the new '10 Fusion.

I have already made plans in my mind that I will be trading this one in - in 3 years on a 2012/13 Malibu with a Direct Injected 3.6 that will get me low to mid 30 MPG's with over 300hp....not to shabby for a Family Sedan.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1 - There is a little point/triangle of plastic on the rear of the front door opening that I hit my hip on every single time I get in and out of the car....its actually quite annoying. I really serves no purpose but I can see why they put it there...to complete the arm rest - but I dont think anybody would really put their elbow all the way back there while driving. - I'm 6'4" and my elbow is not nearly that far back.
I completely agree with this. This is the most annoying thing in the car. How the hell did GM NOT see that this was going to be a problem. It freaking KILLS me hitting my hip and butt cheek on it getting in and out. Why couldnt they make it a little more curved so you dont smash your ass on it?

Everything else is good for me. Our gas mileage isnt the best for the car so its going back into the dealer to see if something is out of whack with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agreed, plus

1. Seats could go lower... could use another inch of headroom
2. Trunk is a little on the flat side -- hard to fit in two sets of golf clubs
3. When scanning XM Radio stadions I wish it would display the station
4. I wish the audio controls and the cruise controls were switched...where the audio was on the left so I can control the stereo and drive with my one arm along the left.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Headrests that adjust forward and backward would be more comfortable. The headrests are tilted too much forward.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. the dimmer switch for the lights should have a "dome off" button so you could have the doors open and not have the lights on

2. the armrest could be a little sturdier (mine seems to wiggle the slightest bit)

3. the door seals sub along the roof line, and i have marks on the paint from it

4. theres other things, but i worked at gm and had to point out flaws on cars if there were any, and also im an anal "car guy" and notice every little thing that is imperfect. other than that, i love it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, plus
4. I wish the audio controls and the cruise controls were switched...where the audio was on the left so I can control the stereo and drive with my one arm along the left.
Yes - I agree - I drive with my left hand and this would make changing the radio stations much easier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put the temperature up with the compass in the RVM so you can always see what the temp is (even when you are doing instant mileage, etc. at the DIC). Design the tilt wheel so it tilts more than it does (it's hard for me to get in out since the wheel doesn't really move up/down much) -- I know part of this is because it telescopes and thus can't tilt much, but more would be great. Design the trunk so you can fit a freaking normal sized garbage can in it for those of us that have to haul our trash to the ends of our driveways... Made the glove box big enough to put the manual in... flat -- or resize the manual. Create a "foot pad" for the driver's left foot to rest on (I had a Honda with this and it was great -- it was angled so my left foot was basically propped up on a "fake" accelerator".

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first post, and I too had the same problem with that piece of plastic hitting me in the back. Every car I ever owned I put my right leg into the car first, but with this one I have to sit in the seat first, and then swing my legs in. Hhard to get used to, but works better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes - I agree - I drive with my left hand and this would make changing the radio stations much easier.
This is the way it was in my BMW and Mazda6. GM should take a hint from the competition...there is a reason that cruise is on the RIGHT and audio is on the LEFT in every other car...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thought of one more...

The heated seats button could not be in a more cumbersome place. I'm sure GM saved $$ but putting the button right on the seat instead of on the center console, but it just doesn't seem like a very good design.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another one... one of the minor things that I loved but miss from my Mazda is this "band" button on the steering wheel audio controls.... it would cycle through FM, AM, and CD modes on the stereo so you could basically navigate anything on the stereo through the steeing wheel. Add XM to that and I've love to have that feature on the Malibu.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another one... one of the minor things that I loved but miss from my Mazda is this "band" button on the steering wheel audio controls.... it would cycle through FM, AM, and CD modes on the stereo so you could basically navigate anything on the stereo through the steeing wheel. Add XM to that and I've love to have that feature on the Malibu.
Yeah - I was thinking the same things as my Tahoe had that button on the steering wheel - not sure why the Malibu doesn't ?

PS - I still cant get past that stupid plastic thing on the door - I hit my hip on it every day......:mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wish that the inside circulation on the A/C was the default, not the outside. Living in Florida, I want to get the moisture out of the cabbin everytime I turn on the car. Sometimes I forget to hit the button and don't realize it until I'm behind a diesel truck/car and smell the fumes coming through the A/C.

I also hit my arse on that damn plastic triangle everyday!:mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also hit my arse on that damn plastic triangle everyday!:mad:
After reading multiple comments like this I had to go out and see if I could find what everyone was talking about... I've never had a problem. I wonder if it's because I have the seats more forward? Do you all have your seats back quite aways?

·
Registered
307 Posts
After reading multiple comments like this I had to go out and see if I could find what everyone was talking about... I've never had a problem. I wonder if it's because I have the seats more forward? Do you all have your seats back quite aways?
I have me seat back a good ways and am completely lost to what everyone is hitting lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could they once again display the "gear" you are in somewhere on the dash. Had that on the 05 and because I put the car into neutral when stopped at lights sometimes I hit the gas and nothing happens, at least with the gear selector visible I could avoid the embarasment:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd like to see:
1. a "cancel" button for the cruise control
2. a display showing what gear you are in
3. the winshield washer nozzles built into the wiper arms instead of on the hood
4. XM antenna built into the mirrors, similar to the recent Corvettes, instead of on the exterior.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Could they once again display the "gear" you are in somewhere on the dash. Had that on the 05 and because I put the car into neutral when stopped at lights sometimes I hit the gas and nothing happens, at least with the gear selector visible I could avoid the embarasment:)
Look down at the shifter. It'll tell you right there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have me seat back a good ways and am completely lost to what everyone is hitting lol
Im 6'6 and I ride with the seat all the way back. I hit it when Im not paying attention trying to slide in.

Thats pretty dangerous to do. Why do you do it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.