Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2014 Malibu LTZ, and I have a question about how Chevy MyLink works.

I know I can pair my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) via Bluetooth and have text messages read to me while I'm driving and can respond using a number of preset replies.

My question is, is there a way to dictate a response while driving using voice-to-text? I know some other manufacturers offer that, but I'm not seeing it mentioned anywhere for the 2014 Malibu.

Thanks!

· Registered
53 Posts
New here and digging up this old thread rather than make a new one, since there doesn't seem to be too much activity here and even though OP probably doesn't need an answer anymore. If it needs to be moved somewhere else, have at it, mods...

I use Windows Phone and it's been compatible with Toyota and Ford infotainment systems for reading text messages to me and allowing me to dictate text back or say "I'm done" if no reply was needed.

I'm disappointed that this feature doesn't seem to work with MyLink.

With the Toyota, I could press the phone button, then say, "Text NAME" and it would say, "Okay, texting NAME. Please say your message." When done, it would read it back to me and say, "You can say 'send it', 'try again' or 'add more.'" When a new message comes in, it would say, "Text from NAME. You can say 'read it' or 'ignore.'"

Toyota has a totally hands-free process, and it worked that way with my prior Windows phone, where Cortana was fully enabled and with my new one, where I did not enable Cortana to spy on me.

I was going to either buy a '15 Malibu 2LT or a '15 Toyota Camry SE. I opted for the Malibu because, to me, it drove better and has a much quieter interior, plus I got the Pioneer 9 speaker system.

I think the Toyota had a far superior bluetooth interface. Even with the text messages, I did not have to allow the head unit to download my contact info and message history; it did everything through the phone. And it's not just the newer Toyotas; I've driven a 2011 Toyota Highlander and the text feature worked exactly the same way, almost flawlessly. The only minor issue was that if I was dictating a long text, it would cut me off and I'd have to keep telling it to add more before telling it to send...not a big deal.

On MyLink, I had to enable it to download my contacts and messages before the text feature would work. Hopefully there is a way to update or reconfigure this functionality, because I'm finding the MyLink interface to be quite terrible. When a text comes in, you have to look at the screen and touch "Listen". So much for hands free.

To try to send a text, I pressed the phone button, and it said I could say a command, so when I said, "Text NAME" it said, "Did you say DIAL NAME?" and it never gave me the option to dictate a text on numerous attempts. It's even been pretty bad when I tell it to play certain artists from USB, frequently getting them wrong.

There is a YouTube video that shows a Chevy Silverado where the guy presses the phone button and dictates a text message to send. Does this mean it should work with Malibu or is it just because he has an iPhone? (I can't post link because of noob status?)

· Registered
171 Posts
As indicated this is dated so may not need an answer but just in case someone else does (took my a while to figure out). Now I can only confirm this on the 2015 not the 2014 but it is likely the same. Just push the mic button and say "Voice" and it will return to the radio for a few seconds before going silent. At this point if everything is working well and your phone supports it you should have direct access to your phones voice interface and you can issue any voice commands your phone accepts.

Note my old Samsung S4 didn't work with this feature but was old and had started acting weird. My Nexus 6P works no problem other than the odd time were outside noise confuses it. Google doesn't seem to understand me saying the word 'send' half the time.

Hopefully this is helpful.

PS I think you may need to go into your phone settings and enable voice commands over bluetooth and/or make the bluetooth a trusted device so you don't have to try and unlock your phone while you are driving.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,139 Posts
New here

... snip ...

There is a YouTube video that shows a Chevy Silverado where the guy presses the phone button and dictates a text message to send. Does this mean it should work with Malibu or is it just because he has an iPhone? (I can't post link because of noob status?)

... snip ...

Note my old Samsung S4 didn't work with this feature but was old and had started acting weird. My Nexus 6P works no problem other than the odd time were outside noise confuses it. Google doesn't seem to understand me saying the word 'send' half the time.

... snip ...

@SupermanReturns
Back when the 2016 Rio Olympics were in full swing we were being hit daily with dozens of spam posts. The owners of the site made it necessary for new members to have a certain number of posts before being able to post links.
@pascal_poirier
I have an S4, but since my car is a Gen7 I don't have the ability to listen to text messages. I've experienced the same issue with using "Voice" after accessing the BT menu - it doesn't like to understand what I need, and the added frustration takes my attention away from the road (where it belongs), so I either abandon the call attempt or pick up the phone and find them manually. Not ideal, I know. My phone is over 2 years old so I may be able to get an upgrade without any penalties.

Back in March-April of this year my car was getting its engine replaced (gotta love warranties!) and one of the vehicles loaned to me was a 2016 Malibu. It had the 1.5T and I was thoroughly impressed with just about everything. But I'm a hold-out and don't wanna give up my N/A V6. Anyhow, during the few days I had it I noticed that the text feature worked nicely but I don't recall if I spoke my command to read it or pressed a soft button on the screen. Based on your comments above I most likely pressed a button, but that was completely new to me since I can't do that in my car.

With all these conveniences and interfacing of cars, phones, and humans, it would be easy to upgrade my ride if it weren't for the fact that I don't need to be so connected. I can go without my phone for days and I don't have any contacts that just have to keep texting me every move they make, as I don't feel it's necessary to reveal my routine bodily functions.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,139 Posts
BTW, did anyone notice that the 2 texts before mine are not in order by time as we might consider it?

1:54 AM and then 1:15 AM.........

...... today is the first day where the clocks were turned back from Daylight Time to Standard Time.

· Registered
171 Posts
Yeah it is distracting and Google should fix. gives you three options to send change or cancel. it keeps thinking I am saying stuff like lend bend seen sed Zen said etc. Should be smart enough to guess given the three options.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.