Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been going through doing all the "used car" tune up things to my car with 165K on it.

New air filter, new synth oil, new plugs, new plug wires, all fluids topped up including air in the tires.

Nice to get it idling and accelerating more smoothly, cornering less squishily, etc.

Didn't notice peppier acceleration until today when I pulled and cleaned the MAF sensor with some of that CRC spray.

Took a little trip to the library to return a DVD, and making my usual merge out on to the main drag, the front tires broke loose!

I haven't "peeled out" in a car in about 30 years or so. Haven't had 'er out on the freeway yet. Should be interesting.

So here's my performance tip of the day: get a can of that MAF sensor cleaner and use it according to instructions. Of all the basic things I've done, that is the one that had the most immediate noticeable effect on the vehicle.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
One caution with your full-synthetic oil: If the car has had conventional oil for most of the 165K miles you may start noticing some leaks. The cleaners in syn are so good and the oil itself tends to not varnish up like conventional that it'll remove any varnish there. That varnish could be a functional part of the seal after so many miles (hours) of use that removing it could cause issues. That's the biggest part of the reason why High Mileage synthetic oil is a blend.

Not saying you hurt anything or did anything wrong. Just giving you a heads up.

And I think it's cool that cleaning the MAF was so effective that normal pedal movement resulted in a little scratch!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a dedicated follower of Bob Is The Oil Guy, I am aware of the possible issues with switching to a full synth. Part of the reason I Simple Green'd the engine was so that I could monitor unauthorized fluid migration. I'll keep an eye on it and then we'll have another data point on synth switchover.

According to the records stepdad gave me, he was quite into the oil change specials at the stealership (and the elective surgery that often follows them), so the car has been babied as far as oil changes go.

The funny thing about the MAF sensor cleaning is that although mom and stepdad lived in the desert for a couple of years, and the intake again has sand in it despite a vacuuming and wipe-down, there was not much visual evidence of sensor fouling. Nothing like Beatdown Z's photos.

Next thing I'm wondering about is cleaning the throttle body. I don't feel ambitious enough to remove it like I did with the MAF sensor (doing so requires a new gasket, I believe?), and I have read cautions about washing a flood of EGR tar into the engine.

The throttle mouth and plate did not look sooty, but then the MAF sensor didn't look dusty either....

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
I'm looking forward to more posts on how this works out! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.