Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 malibu lt with factory remote start that i thought all malibus had even the older ones. . I thought that was one of the original things that only malibus had factory other then any autos . But my cousin just bought a new 2010 ls model and doesnt have it! I thought all models even the ls came with??

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 08 malibu lt with factory remote start that i thought all malibus had even the older ones. . I thought that was one of the original things that only malibus had factory other then any autos . But my cousin just bought a new 2010 ls model and doesnt have it! I thought all models even the ls came with??
I think it's an option until you get to the LT2 level. If you go to the chevrolet.com website and "build" yourself a malibu, you can see that it is an option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remote start isn't available from the factory on the LS or the Fleet. If you get a 1LT it's available as an option but you don't get it as a standard option until you get into the 2LT or the LTZ.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Remote start isn't available from the factory on the LS or the Fleet. If you get a 1LT it's available as an option but you don't get it as a standard option until you get into the 2LT or the LTZ.
Just a little clarification.

Fleet is (or was) available on LS or 1LT. I have a 1LT Fleet (3.5L, 4spd) with remote start, power seat and Bluetooth, which is how all 4 1LT Fleet cars my dealer found were optioned, which was good, 'cause that's exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know how you can tell if you have remote start becuz i just bought my 09 bu 1LT and the descriptions say that remote start is enabled you just need a remote. Can i look at a serial number on the car or something to be able to tell if i really have this feature enabled???

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Does anyone know how you can tell if you have remote start becuz i just bought my 09 bu 1LT and the descriptions say that remote start is enabled you just need a remote. Can i look at a serial number on the car or something to be able to tell if i really have this feature enabled???
Read post #5 in this link

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks man so much that really helped becuz my dealership didnt give me a remote but my mom had an extra remote w/ remote start on it but when i asked my dealer he said it wouldnt work but im going to go up their first thing tomorrow morning and tell him to program my remote for free becuz ive had my Bu for two weeks w/o a remote

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just need help with one more thing.....Can anyone tell me exactly where the hood switch is under the malibu???? The hood switch is used to enable the auto start feature

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
The hood switch? i think the only thing that switch has to do with the remote start is that if the hood is open/problem with the switch the remote start feature is disabled. For safety reasons I think.

Programming a remote start equipped remote is not as simple as programming a regular fob. The dealership needs to get a special code from GM to re-program the vehicle for the remote start. This code is only available if you purchase a kit, costing @ $300 (at least it did for me).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dang for real???? So the remote i do have wont even work becuz i still need the kit oh well but thanks for helping me i guess this 19 year old has to save a couple more bucks to get that LOL

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Dang for real???? So the remote i do have wont even work becuz i still need the kit oh well but thanks for helping me i guess this 19 year old has to save a couple more bucks to get that LOL
Make a quick call to your dealership and verify it. It couldn't hurt to do so, worst case scenario is they tell you what I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed Aftermarket Remote Start in my Malibu and it works perfectly. No more entering a cold car.contact me if you would like info on it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leave it up to Crappy Chevy to not make it a fricken standard option on the Malibus. Every other car dealer has it as a standard option. I just got my son a 2010 used LS and it doesn't have remote start after the used car guy said it did. Total BS.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
1. You believed a salesman.
2. You didn't research before buying.
3. You bought a used car.
4. Does that make GM the bad guy just because they didn't meet up with your expectations? Try buying a new car, then you'll have a voice with them.

Gripe all you want. We're not dyed-in-the-wool GM or Chevy folks here, but it really burns my buttons when a new "member" uses their first post to demean an entire corporation when they weren't served their car on a silver platter. This is the perfect definition of an entitled mentality!

And you did it in a 3-year-old thread to boot.

SMH

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Leave it up to Crappy Chevy to not make it a fricken standard option on the Malibus. Every other car dealer has it as a standard option. I just got my son a 2010 used LS and it doesn't have remote start after the used car guy said it did. Total BS.
Chevy made a ton of safety features standard on the 7th gen Malibu such as electronic stability control, antilock brakes, traction control, etc. In hindsight, remote start is really just a convenience and the LS is considered base and bottom of the barrel trim. My 1LT has it but it was an option, it's not standard on it either. Not until you get to the 2LT is it a standard feature. But Chevy can't have everything be a standard feature otherwise you'd be looking at a $28,000 price tag for a new mid-sized family sedan, which is roughly what a new LTZ cost I believe. While I consider the LTZ to be somewhat luxurious, some people would rather pay only $22,000 for a car that gets them around at the expense of axing certain features such as remote start, a V6, a sunroof, etc.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Waaaaahhhh my '09 LS doesn't have Bluetooth either. LS means low standard. No frills transportation. Standard today is not standard 8 yrs. ago.
You believed a used car salesman, I've got a kicking deal on a bridge........ Caveat emptor

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Waaaaahhhh my '09 LS doesn't have Bluetooth either. LS means low standard. No frills transportation. Standard today is not standard 8 yrs. ago.
You believed a used car salesman, I've got a kicking deal on a bridge........ Caveat emptor
Hey, I have a question for you. Does your LS have the Chevrolet badged scuff guards in the front doors? I've seen a few LSs for sale that seem to lack them. Is this an actual lack for the LS or is it something that maybe the fleet version lacks?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
My car has the badged guards. Being my '09 is still earlier in the gen. 7 build they could have been eliminated in the later years of production of the generation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just read through this thread and wanted to be sure I understand it for my car. I have an 08 Malibu 1LT. My key fob does not show remote start. Based on the link provided with the code, I see that code is listed in the glove box. So is the car equipped with a remote start already or is is just set up to have a remote start easily added (since it's an optional thing on this trim)? Sounds like a key fob with the remote start and a trip to the dealer (and most likely a bit of a cost) will activate a remote start that is already there. Thanks for the clarification.

Rob

Trooper - 08 Malibu LT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts