Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 2010 CHEVY MALIBU. WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR THE DOOR LOCK SWITCH DIDNT WORK. IT LOCKS/UNLOCK WHEN I CHANGE GEARS. BUT WHEN I TRY TO LOCK IT WITH THE SWITCH IT DOESNT WORK. IT DIDNT COME WITH A KEYFOB SO I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO TRY THAT. IM IN THE PROCESS OF DOING EVERYTHING MYSELF THATS SIMPLE. I JUST NEED TO BE POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. DO ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTION ON WHERE I SHOULD START. I CAN SEND VIDEOS IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
When posting, please consider using lowercase, not ALL CAPS. It makes reading things easier, especially for older folks like me who want to help.

The door lock has 2 interior switches. Does the one on the passenger's door work at all?

From either switch, when you press Lock, the switch sends a "ground" signal (aka 0 volts) to the BCM on a white wire, which it then interprets it as the Lock signal. When you press Unlock, it sends a signal at a higher voltage on another white wire to the same terminal on the BCM, which it then interprets it as the Unlock signal. If that wire or any other from the switch is damaged or unplugged, it won't work.

If it'll lock but not unlock, or unlock but not lock, then the switch is probably dirty and needs serviced or replaced.

Next, try the key in driver's door. Turning it one way should unlock the doors and the other way should lock them. Its signal is on a green wire to a different terminal on the BCM.

Tell us what works and what doesn't and we can help you a bit more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When posting, please consider using lowercase, not ALL CAPS. It makes reading things easier, especially for older folks like me who want to help.

The door lock has 2 interior switches. Does the one on the passenger's door work at all?

From either switch, when you press Lock, the switch sends a "ground" signal (aka 0 volts) to the BCM on a white wire, which it then interprets it as the Lock signal. When you press Unlock, it sends a signal at a higher voltage on another white wire to the same terminal on the BCM, which it then interprets it as the Unlock signal. If that wire or any other from the switch is damaged or unplugged, it won't work.

If it'll lock but not unlock, or unlock but not lock, then the switch is probably dirty and needs serviced or replaced.

Next, try the key in driver's door. Turning it one way should unlock the doors and the other way should lock them. Its signal is on a green wire to a different terminal on the BCM.

Tell us what works and what doesn't and we can help you a bit more.
Sorry about that. I took the door handle off on the driver side and notice that it start to unlock but won't lock. I haven't tried the passenger side yet. But as of now it doesn't do either. When I try to lock/unlock with the key it only work on the driver side door.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
It sounds very much like you will need to service or replace the lock switch on the driver's door at the very least, but you still need to check its operation using a DVOM - digital volt-ohm meter. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight, maybe only $5-$10.

Once you know if the switch is working or not, you'll have more information to make an informed decision. If you're not comfortable using the meter, it is probably a good idea to have a qualified tech inspect it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.