Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick one about swapping the doors speakers.

I bought the car and didn't realize the door speakers weren't working. I learned this quickly when I tried using the bluetooth hands-free phone call feature and all I could hear very quiet sound coming from the a-pillar tweeters. After researching this forum, I decided to replace the speakers.

I purchased a pair of 6.5" speakers from Walmart. Went home, and pulled the door panels, pulled the speakers, cut the OE speakers from the housing. drilled and screwed the new speakers to the housings. reinstalled in reverse order. Works great now. I can now hear the chimes coming from the driver door when I insert the key into the ignition.

Pics to follow this post...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally, pics of the new speaker attached to the mount via screws and attached the new speaker to the door.

I used Sony XS-R1645 6.5" speakers. They sound great. If you want something affordable to replace your OE speakers, I would highly recommend them. They run $30-$40 for the pair.

Now I want to upgrade the rear, but that's a little more involved from what I've read. Hope this information has been helpful. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Happy New Year Oshkash. No, I haven't changed the rear speakers yet. I've been debating how far I want to go with the audio.

If I'm changing the rear speakers, I might as well change out the head unit. And if I'm changing the head unit, I might as well add a subwoofer/amp in the trunk. If I add a sub, I might as well add video monitors in the headrest for my daughter. Lol

It's similar to giving a mouse a cookie, but for car guys(and gals).

Joking aside, I'll looking into more in the Spring. I really want to add a subwoofer, but I'm not excited with the idea of losing the OE fit, function, and finish of the original radio. I guess I could change it back, if I wasn't satisfied with the aftermarket setup. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your interest!

Cheers,

Tyler

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Put a set of good speakers in the rear and you will be surprised how good the factory radio sounds.
I've changed all 4 and have enough bass to vibrate the inside rear view mirror now. Head unit swap causes more grief than it's worth in today's CAN system cars.
And my car is a LS with the basic radio/XM setup. Sound rivals my Tahoe with the Bose unit.

Reactions: tylergarey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm back with some updates. I bought a new radio, front and rear speakers. I will write a separate thread for the rears.

New fronts are Rockford Fosgate P1650 (6.5") 2 way full range speakers

These speakers are bigger and badder, in my opinion. I'm no longer interested in adding a subwoofer.

I'll add pics of some modifications I made for the front speakers as well as the factory wire polarity (The factory wiring isn't clearly marked positive [+] or negative [-] ).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pic #1 & 2 are a side by side shots of the Sony speaker and the new Fosgate. When I took the old Sony speakers out, I observed that the speaker surround looked to be "impressed", possibly the door panel was pressed up against the speaker and I didn't realize. :surprise:

After doing some measurements, I determined that its "possible" that the door panel was touching the speaker (The measurements were very close). Of course, I want to protect my new speakers, while getting the best sound. So I was thinking of ways to bring the speaker away from the door panel.

Solution: I looked closely at the OE speaker mount that I fastened the Sony speaker to. I noticed there's a 1/4" raised lip on the mount. Pic #3 & 4 I took my handy Dremel with cut-off wheel and cut off the lip, then sanded it to create an even surface for the new speaker. New problem: The new speaker metal basket was too large to drop into the opening and sit flush, as seen in Pic #5.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To solve the problem, Pic #1 I measured the opening of the mount and compared it to the new speaker. The speaker requires 5.5" opening, Pic #2 I cut it open using the Dremel. Pic #3 & 4 shows the new speakers mounted

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pic #1 is the new speaker mounted to the door. Pic #2 & 3 is showing the factory wiring polarity

Wire polarity,

Driver door, (Pic 2)
Tan = Positive (+)
Gray = Negative (-)

Passenger door, (Pic 3)
Light Green = Positive (+)
Dark Green = Negative (-)

One last thing, in case you're wondering about depth clearance, I have at least an inch of clearance between the back of the speaker and the window.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Good deal.
I also cut off the original speakers mounts to attach my replacement speakers. It's only plastic and works well. More work but makes for a clean install.

Reactions: tylergarey

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm back with some updates. I bought a new radio, front and rear speakers. I will write a separate thread for the rears.

New fronts are Rockford Fosgate P1650 (6.5") 2 way full range speakers

These speakers are bigger and badder, in my opinion. I'm no longer interested in adding a subwoofer.

I'll add pics of some modifications I made for the front speakers as well as the factory wire polarity (The factory wiring isn't clearly marked positive [+] or negative [-] ).
Question:: Is that a set of 4 speakers or what did you use for the back ones?

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
28 Posts
2 way speakers are a single woofer and tweeter mounted on the one unit running off the single positive and negative terminals on the back of the speaker. I did 2 ways in the front of mine, and the treble was very overpowering. What I would recommend instead is getting a component speaker set, which has the woofer cone and tweeter as separate speakers, so you can replace the woofer cone in the door, and the tweeter in the A pillar. Depending on the set you get, they'll be about the same, or a touch more than getting a 2 way speaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts