Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my mother's '08 2LT, this apparently just started happening out of the blue yesterday. At work she went to close the door and it wouldn't latch, it would look almost like it was, but was just banging off of the latch instead. Still, out of nowhere, she thought maybe something was in the jamb, etc. and closed it a few more times, and it eventually worked.

That continued intermittently throughout the day and then she just came home a little bit ago, parked in the driveway, and pulling the handle to get out...nada. The door wouldn't open. Said she hit unlock/lock a few times to see if maybe it was a lock issue, but again no. The other doors would work, but the driver's was stuck and she ended up having to blow the horn to get my father's attention to try from the outside to get her out.

We've looked at it and nothing is in the jamb and the latch visually seems okay, but it sounds like the rotating latch "hook" is just getting stuck in one position so that when closing it's already closed down and vice verse trying to open. Or at least that's my best guess from the description.

Regardless, weird, and unexpected. She thought she was losing it for a day until today when it trapped her inside, hah. Called and made an appointment to drop it off Monday. We'll see...

·
Registered
749 Posts
That happened to my Dad's last STS (Their front doors are digital rather than mechanical handle) and it wouldn't latch closed. He had to tie it closed and have the entire door replaced. Hopefully it's a lil' easier on the Malibu! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's weird. I had to see it for myself and went out to play with the door. Opened it, got in, and then opened it from the inside successfully. Went to pull it shut then again from the inside and exactly as she described, it pulls in but feels like it just bounces off the latch and doesn't latch. Looked at the latch and opened the passenger's door to compare and both seemed to be in the same position, but the driver's just wouldn't close. A few more tries, opening and closing, and finally it did close.

On this car, the latches are just typical latches, so if anything it shouldn't be a big issue. After sitting outside opening and closing the door again and again, it seemed to start working properly, but that may have just been momentary.

I wanted to videotape it, as that's been a great idea in the past with similar things, but didn't get to before it starting working again. Will keep trying.

We shall see. It will be in Monday, oddly, with my '09 there as well having a speaker replaced.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A GM dealer tech on GMI said he hadn't seen this on Malibu's but has on Cobalt's in the form of bad door lock actuators/latches, basically the latch inside the door.

Well here's a really strange turn of events, after I read that.

I'm awaiting more detailed info, but after dropping the car off last night my mother was told by the service guys today that they knew what the problem was "with these Malibu's" right away, to the extent that it was close to being a recall. Having frequented this board and others pretty much since the start I've NEVER heard this, and it seems odd, but this service department is generally pretty good and know what they're talking about.

Weird. Filtered through 2 people, I'll eventually hear the direct story, but at least they know what "it" is, whatever that may be.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wow that's weird.. glad I haven't experienced anything like that on my Malibu! Of course it wouldn't shock me if it magically starts after having my car impacted the way it was.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, the "more" to the story.

Apparently they didn't know immediately and had to call her for more details at first (of course, after I opened and closed the door repeatedly, it did seem fine), but then said they either found or were familiar with what--I think--was probably a TSB to the sort, involving the latch. Ordered that & left the car there, hopefully for it to be there tomorrow, and they'll install when they get it.

So I don't think it was a prevalent as it may have seemed, but just rather one of the many TSB's out there for similar issues that may have been a bit common, and the dealer used the words "almost a recall" to help explain it to her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having the same problem with my 08 Malibu. This is the second time the door wouldn't open. I had to climb over the console to get out of the car. Got back in and keep disengaging the locks and engaging them and the door handle still did not open the door. So drove a little bit and parked the car to try and get out again and it finally worked. It's weird. Then I had another incident where the door wouldn't close. This has happened at least twice. The car is 6 years old and not under warranty so I don't know how much this will cost to fix. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Is it just me, or when you read this thread does it sound like people are getting stuck in their cars and climbing over the console to get out the passenger side, walking around to the drivers door and opening it? Wouldn't you just lower the window and use the outside handle first? I'm just sayin....

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Originally Posted by gigi169I have been having the same problem with my 08 Malibu. This is the second time the door wouldn't open. I had to climb over the console to get out of the car. Got back in and keep disengaging the locks and engaging them and the door handle still did not open the door. So drove a little bit and parked the car to try and get out again and it finally worked. It's weird. Then I had another incident where the door wouldn't close. This has happened at least twice. The car is 6 years old and not under warranty so I don't know how much this will cost to fix. Any suggestions?
Hi gigi169,

We recognize that this trouble with your door latch has been an inconvenience and apologize that you're experiencing this issue. If you are interested in working with your local Chevy dealership, we'd be happy to reach out to them on your behalf and see what repairs options are available to you. If this is something that interests you, please PM us your full contact info, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealer.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also just started having the same problem with the driver's side door latch of my '09. After searching the forum, I am finding a number of others under similar threads. I hope for a favorable outcome.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hey Jerry2177,

Are you going to your Chevrolet dealership? We can look up your VIN for a special coverage in regard to this concern. Let us know how you would like to proceed.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Lifetime Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Is it just me, or when you read this thread does it sound like people are getting stuck in their cars and climbing over the console to get out the passenger side, walking around to the drivers door and opening it? Wouldn't you just lower the window and use the outside handle first? I'm just sayin....

When my Cobalt had this problem that is what I tried to do. It however did not work either. 20 minutes later I had the door panel off with the door still closed and was able to get the latch to release. 15 minutes later and I had a new door latch installed and the door panel back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Amber:
I wouldn't mind you contacting the dealer for me. The name of the dealer I usually take the car to is Lou LaRiche in Plymouth, Michigan. I need to know if you guys have an e-mail I can use to give you my contact information, etc., this is something I wouldn't want to put in the forum. Please advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow-up post- GM paid $37 and change out of a $254 bill for the needed repair. Considering how widespread this safety issue is, I'm underwhelmed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any updates on what the fix is exactly? This happened to me today. My seat is drenched, it rained like 5 inches today. Suck. Remove door panel, replace the actual door latch? Or is it a linkage somewhere? Is this something I can do myself or go to dealer? I'm pretty capable, but lazy. Pictures online aren't looking promising, I'm seeing a bunch of plastic assemblies, like the power lock/unlock actuator and latch is all one thing, not looking good.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2009 Malibu 2LT. My wife and I were going to dinner recently, she was able to get in the car, but couldn't get out of the passenger side door when we arrived at our destination. It's been 4 weeks and I still can't open the passenger door (from the inside or outside). Any idea of the cost to fix the door?
Thanks. Jeremy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my Malibu on Tuesday the 6/17/14. It is a 2010 with 67000 miles on it. Having the same problem with the door. I have been locked in once but just rolled down the window to open it. And have had it not close several times now. I have found that if you do not pull the handle inside all the way it does seem to work more often. Just wondering Chevy has come up with a way to fix this problem yet or not. Please let us know. Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,191 Posts
The stock lock/latch assembly has been redesigned a number of times, too many to count. Usually it's the locking portion that causes the issue. If you search on here for an $8 fix (really!) you'll discover a way to divorce the lock from the latch and have both work as they should.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hi Doc08Matt,

Congratulations on purchasing a new-to-you Malibu! I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the door and you are looking to resolve this issue yourself. I cannot provide you any technical advice but would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if you have any lingering questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.