Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i looked up the problem i was having with my car and your profile popped up i checked it out and it seems like you know alot about cars so i was wondering if it would be possible for you to help me. So I recently got this preowned malibu and the doors been locking and unlocking on its own which drained my battery the first time. So i had to spend money that i really barely had on a new battery after that the locking and unlocking stopped for a bit but in the past couple days it started again it even locks and unlocks itself while im driving. I really can’t afford my battery being drained again i was wondering if you’d have an idea on what the issue might be and how i could fix it. Please and thank you

· Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Try leaving the remote inside your house/apartment and only using the key. Perhaps the remote is sending the lock/unlock signal. Place it out of range of the car. In a cookie tin, in a safe, in refrigerator.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it I’ll try that but even when I’m all the way I’m the house I come out the doors are unlocked. Sometimes when I’m in school very very far away from my car when I come next to it the doors are already unlocked but I’ll try your suggestion hopefully it works thank you so much

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,010 Posts
If it's a Gen7, then I'm sorry to say that that trick with the remote won't work. That's for vehicles with keyless ignition systems.

Find the fuse for the door locks and remove it until you have the time and money to fix on it. It's probably just one or both lock switches on the front doors, but it could be a frayed wire or other issue.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a Gen7, then I'm sorry to say that that trick with the remote won't work. That's for vehicles with keyless ignition systems.

Find the fuse for the door locks and remove it until you have the time and money to fix on it. It's probably just one or both lock switches on the front doors, but it could be a frayed wire or other issue.
Got it I’ll try that do you know where I could find the fuse?

· Administrator
21,010 Posts
I guess I'll come right out and ask: What year is your car? What trim level?

· Administrator
21,010 Posts
Trim level is LTZ. All models are 4-door sedans.

There are 2 fuses: one for the RKE (remote keyless entry) and one for the actual lock motors.

RKE is in the trunk, marked "RKE/XM", fuse 10, 7.5A.

Lock motor fuse is in the BCM, "Door Lock", 15A.

· Registered
64 Posts
Oddly, I'm having this same issue as well. Thought it was a computer issue so I removed the engine battery cables for a reset/relearn. Didn't help. I might try and remove the remote battery and see if that stops the phantom locking. Anyone have a fix?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts