Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 08 with a few hundred miles drifts to the left at 60 MPH and over. The steering wheel is centered stright. Called dealer and going in Thursday. They said they will check the alignment and if that s OK it could be a tire issue and may move the tires around. Anyone else see what happens if they take thier hands off the wheel on the highway? Let me know so if they tell me it s normal I will know. I have the 18 in LTZ wheels.

·
Registered
701 Posts
cerbomark - let us know how you make out....should be interesting to find out what the diagnosis is.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Most likely it's the alignment...my '98 Sonoma had that problem too. Once the alignment was fixed, it never drifted again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tech said he adjusted the right side alignment and it seems better but I haven t had it on the interstate yet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I could have been the road. I was noticing that on a long highway trip back. My car was drifting to the right and pissing me off. When I tested an hour later on a differnet highway, it was drifting slightly left.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the road will effect it but originally mine would drift left every time. Usually the crown in the road will send you right.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Aren't cars supposed to naturally turn to the right somewhat? I thought this was a safety thing that they did incase something happened or you fell asleep the car wouldn't go into on coming traffic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aren't cars supposed to naturally turn to the right somewhat? I thought this was a safety thing that they did incase something happened or you fell asleep the car wouldn't go into on coming traffic.
never heard that but the tech said it should track straight for 3 telephone lenghts according to GM. that s about 150 feet would be my guess:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine does it too...been "fixed" twice at the dealer before I even hit 4000 miles

they always chalked it up to alignment....but it still happens a little bit

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have not noticed this on my LTZ, it drives as straight as an arrow. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still did it after alignment, went back today and the rotated they front tires, doen t seem to do ot now but I have to get up over 65-70 mph to b sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw this a couple days ago before I bought my '08 2LT on the 13th. I love this car and the only thing I wondered about was a fairly severe pull if driving in the left lane on the highway above 60mph.

I learned some important things over the past two days tracking it down with the dealership.

1) The Spec on the 2LT (and I suspect LTZ with 3.6L) from GM is not symetric alignment on the front end. the camber (tilt of wheels from straight up and down) is more negative for the right than left. i.e. the front right tire leans in further than the left front by almost .4-.5*. or for those who know... my left front tire is only -.45* (it started at -.05*) my right front is -.93*

On a naturally crowned road where you ride in the center or right this set-up barely negates the curve making the car go straight - but allows for some quelling of the torque steer to the right you may have noticed launching the car out of the hole. except for if you are in the fast lane on the highway... there the crown of the road rolling left and that .5* extra negative camber will pull the car *gently* left over 60-70mph. That can't be "fixed". it shouldn't be nasty tho... mine felt like a flat tire.

this is adjustable to some degree but on mine it also magnified a bad tire problem... so my car was an arm wrestling match if I hung out in the fast lane at all. which is why the op got some relief swapping sides with the tire. The dealer just replaced the tire.

To really get my car to track properly they had to machine a little bit off a certain suspension piece to crank in a small ~.4* amount of negative on the left. now it tracks straight in the centerlane, pulls left in the left and right in the right lane. it's a lot better than pulling left all the time.

So short take: 2lt's and LTZ's probably will always pull left in the fast lane, if it's a nasty pull there is some relief and tires are a big part of that - also seeing how close to the edge of the spec they can get the left side negative will also help. all this was covered under warranty and they were really good about understanding even tho the car was 'dead perfect' alighment wise.

Matt

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for all this information guys....I have noticed this on my 09' but not sure what is considered severe or not, my 05' GP did not have any of this.

I just emailed my dealer as my wife is taking the car in next Tuesday for some other things, Being in China it is hard to talk to the dealer or even take the car in myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, getting it symetrically alligned would make the car deal better with the crown - I'd prefer that but the car has no adjustment for it. Then I'd be responsible for the torque steer which hasn't been all that bad compared to other FWD monsters I've driven... ala Acura CL-S... that was torque steer.

FYI - I don't find the handling all the bad now that I've had it back a full day. it's a good balance between the need to quell torque steer & still maintain lane on the highway.

Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
curious to hear if this happens on cars with smaller than the 18" tires.
I know that some tires can be more prone to camber thrust, and that usually is a wider/low profile tire. -My Z06 will take you for a ride on roads that have deep "grooves" -track width depressions on the asphalt- but it drives straight on normal road crown. Camber thrust is basically where the tire will steer uphill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:(My 05 Malibu, also drifts to the left. I took it in to the repair shop and they said I had a bad tie rod. They replaced it and it still drifts to the left. Also, when I turn there is a "thumping" sound that comes from under the car. Any ideas what that could be? I'm lost?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '04 GP had the same 225 wide spec... they were 225/16" forget the aspect ratio. The GP's track was wider by an inch and it didn't pull like this ever. it had issues with road grooving - wanted to slither left to right occasionally but never pulled to the left like this. I asked some friends at work who have similar tread width on there mustangs to the Z06 and they said that you only really see that above 265mm wide.

Also curious to see if anyone else in a 16 or 17" rim size pulls left.. mostly 'cuz they are 4cy and may have a different alignment.

Matt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am aware of what a wide tire pulls like when pulled by road grooves and this isn t the same. Since another alignment and also the two front tires were switched with each other it s not bad at all. Like the reviews also said, this car doesn t have a real good center feel in the steering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.