Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace my 2017 MH due to accident. Drove replacement 2017 MH w/40,000 miles back to St Louis (approx 4.5 hrs) but only managed 35 mpg. Averaged 72 mph. I have some concerns the battery pack could be on its way out. Feeling a bit better about it today. Drove to work today @ 60 - 65 mph and compared gas mileage to what I was getting with my original one. 47 verses 50. The power flow graphic showing the battery did not show more than 7 bars (70% ?). Today it was showing all 10 bars so I'm hoping all is well. Will know in weeks ahead.

On a side note, I realize lighter materials will make for a more fuel efficient vehicle but I think Chevy went overboard when they substituted egg shell for steel. My original MH was clipped from the side on the back bumper. Still drive-able but rear quarterpanels and most likely unibody were tweaked. Initial repair estimate $13,000.00.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,273 Posts
There could certainly be differences in maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle that will make a difference in your mileage. (Tire pressure, tire brand and condition, alignment, oil condition/quality, engine upkeep, etc.)

However, by the end of your first paragraph, you may have ruled out your own worries as driving conditions. Driving the same trip in the opposite direction doesn't guarantee the same mileage.

You can only rule things out by doing maintenance over time.

Reactions: campb292

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,963 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact timeline here but the temps in the central region had been running between 0-30F last week and most hybrid owners report reduced fuel economy in cold weather. The higher numbers looks great for the work trip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
35 MPG is not so bad in cold weather. A headwind or tailwind also will make a difference, often +/- 10 mpg. I just drove across country, averaging 75 mph, I averaged about 33 mpg at that speed but the temperature coming home was 20 degrees and part of the time I had a 10 mph head wind. For some reason cold weather really has a big effect on my MH. I would not consider your mileage to be out of line at that speed based on my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts