Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After picking up my car last night from the dealer I noticed that the front driver door was sticking out a little and was not flush with the rear door. It is almost as if the door is not shutting all the way because if I put pressure on the door when its shut it will line up properly but as soon as I release the pressure it moves back to being out of alignment.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there an easy way I can fix this with out taking it to the dealer? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a relatively simple fix. The door stricker needs to be position slightly inwards toward the inside of the car. I have my 25th new car and most have had to have this type of adjustment, I do the adjustment myself, but your dealer could make the correction very easily.
Gord.

·
Registered
700 Posts
barhoc11 - Like Gord said it is a relatively simple fix, but if you don't want to "mess" with it your dealer should be able make the adjustment fairly quickly "free of charge" considering you just picked it up not even a week ago I would think the dealer would be more than happy to adjust it. That is what I would do personally, that way you have no worries about anything going awray.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a relatively simple fix. The door stricker needs to be position slightly inwards toward the inside of the car. I have my 25th new car and most have had to have this type of adjustment, I do the adjustment myself, but your dealer could make the correction very easily.
Gord.
Thanks for the responses all, I trust its an easy fix I just have no idea what I would have to adjust. Is it as simple as moving the piece that is on the door and it latches to the body when closed?

·
Registered
700 Posts
barhoc11 - best to take it to the dealer than, shouldn't be a problem for them to diagnois. Plus you don't have to worry if anything goes wrong. Like your door falling off - Just kidding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barhoc11 - best to take it to the dealer than, shouldn't be a problem for them to diagnois. Plus you don't have to worry if anything goes wrong. Like your door falling off - Just kidding.
Yeah I know but it is just always a hassle and if it is something small like this I would rather just do it myself. Its not a huge issue so I will probably wait until I need to go in for something else. thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I know but it is just always a hassle and if it is something small like this I would rather just do it myself. Its not a huge issue so I will probably wait until I need to go in for something else. thanks for everyones help
I have little doubt you could realign the door, but I wouldn't bother if I were you. The dealer has a bodyshop, most probably.

Maybe call the dealer service manager, ask when you could drop by to have it looked at. They have the tools and the knowhow, PLUS, they will be paid for their trouble under the warranty.

If you do the repair and it doesn't work out as you hoped it will no longer be a warranty issue and you could end up paying in the end.

If time is the issue? Give the dealer the chance to accomodate your schedule.

Door alignment isn't hard nor time consuming if you do it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After picking up my car last night from the dealer I noticed that the front driver door was sticking out a little and was not flush with the rear door. It is almost as if the door is not shutting all the way because if I put pressure on the door when its shut it will line up properly but as soon as I release the pressure it moves back to being out of alignment.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there an easy way I can fix this with out taking it to the dealer? Thanks in advance
I too, have the same problem!! I will take it to the body shop at the dealership!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My door latch inside the door was replaced under warranty... and my door is also not "in" enough. I have checked the door striker... but it does not seem to adjust. It has two screws that pull the door striker back into position because the screws end up flush with the striker bracket....

On older vehicles the striker is different.

Am I missing something here? Basic enough..... but my 2008 LT2 does not seem to adjust?

Thanks in advance for the suggestons.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,676 Posts
Adjust the latch in the door. One at a time loosen the screws then tighten just snug. Slowly close the door and check alignment. Open the door and with a wooden or plastic stick tap the latch so the door is drawn in a little. You may need to mess around with the tightness of the screws so you can adjust it but it still keeps its position when closing and opening.

Once you get it aligned, tighten and recheck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Adjust the latch in the door. One at a time loosen the screws then tighten just snug. Slowly close the door and check alignment. Open the door and with a wooden or plastic stick tap the latch so the door is drawn in a little. You may need to mess around with the tightness of the screws so you can adjust it but it still keeps its position when closing and opening.

Once you get it aligned, tighten and recheck.
Right on! I feel dumb I didnt try the door latch.... Thanks for the help and suggestons. I'll go get it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.