Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious which screen you leave your DIC on and why. I find I leave mine on the Average fuel economy as I am very MPG concious and aiming for the day I can break 33 mpg. Got it up to 32.1 on this tankfull. I have tried to monitor instant mpg but find it too hard to drive an monitor with it that instant.

Your thooughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have a 4cyl I assume?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I leave mine on instant. Never really tried any other screen. I do switch and check out the avg. every now and then, like right after I fill up. I have noticed that my calculations and the computers calculations are about 2 mph different, with my calc. being higher. I calculate the avg. 25 and the computer say 23. This is mostly city driving also.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I always used to leave mine on Instant...the best way to get an "instant" view of how my driving at any given second was immediately impacting mileage. Average would give the average, but I only looked at that from time to time or at fill ups. Instant was what let me inch that up further.

Actually, yeah, from day one I never kept it on any screen but Instant, to the day I traded it in. As for my mother's '08, she used to keep it on Instant to do the same thing, but wanted to see the temp and regular odometer more often (and has complained vs. her past GM's not being able to see the temp outside of the main DIC & still has a thing about seeing it all the time), so she's back to the regular main screen now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i leave mine on the main screen, mainly for the outside temp.
i dont want people to take this the wrong way - but, i dont really worry about my average MPG. i looked at my average after i have had it for a month, and it was at 22. thats all i need to know. i have to drive 50 miles a day, and i need gas, as i need to get to school and work, so i guess i really dont care, because i am going to buy gas (sometimes i dont even look at the price of the gas, either), no matter the price because i have to have it.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I use the avg miles per gallon and sometimes leave it on instant.

I would be interested schwalbach, how you get your mileage to 32? My best has been 29 so far. 08, 2.4, 4 speed.

At the moment, I have 27.5 and have recently got up to 28, but add in some in town driving, and it can drop a few tenths.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I leave it on the main screen most of the time. I'll cycle through to check the MPG Avg. and tire pressure. I never leave it on instant as it's hilly in this area and the readout is constantly flashing up and down.

·
Registered
795 Posts
how you get your mileage to 32?
I've been able to get over 33 on a couple tanks with our 3.6 V6. The trips were on fairly flat roads and little wind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Instant for me,
until I get familiar with the car, and how best to drive it.

Still trying to get the life time avg over 23MPG, but most of it's life has been in the cold Chi town winter with warmups,
70 town/ 30 hwy
2LT 4cyl.
1,200 miles so far.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Instant for me,
until I get familiar with the car, and how best to drive it.

Still trying to get the life time avg over 23MPG, but most of it's life has been in the cold Chi town winter with warmups,
70 town/ 30 hwy
2LT 4cyl.
1,200 miles so far.
try 89 we have seen 50-60 miles per tank more for some reason. and we keep it on instant was well. generally see 27-30mpg out of the car now

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've been able to get over 33 on a couple tanks with our 3.6 V6. The trips were on fairly flat roads and little wind.

I've gotten about 30 as the best... long, continuous trip, flat interstate, little to no wind, cruise set at a lower speed, and some drafting where possible. It's nice to be able to sometimes acheive this, and trade off a 22-25mpg avg. for the power when needed. Today, I was in a spot where there was a ton of traffic clogging the 3 left lanes at a stop light and 0 cars in the right lane, and 1 block until the onramp on the left. I was able to pull up gently to the front of the right lane, then when it turned green, give it about half power and easily blow everyone away to move over to the left safely and in time without having to cut anyone off or drive like a jerk. The power is there and efficiency can be found.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Delphi Man
I have just short of 12,000 miles on it.
I have a 32 miles comute that goes as follows:
1/2 mile to end of driveway, 2 miles 55mph zone, stop sign, turn right 4 miles 55 mph zone, stop sign, turn left 12 miles 55 mph zone, small town in middle of this stretch down to 30 mph, end of this 12 miles turn right and freeway 14 miles at 65mph and get off freeway and at work in short ditance from end of ramp. Reverse to come home. Most of the road is varied terrain with slight hills no mountains, just rolling midwest wisconsin hills.

The way I get the mpg that high is by very very light acceleration, and coasting to stop signs with minimal braking. Next time you fill up reset and watch how much mpg you take away on acceleration and how much coasting it takes to get it back. Hard acceleration KILLS mpg more than anything.

Now I am not a road hazard with accelerating or slowing down, but I do take advantage of hills (on ramps, etc) to ramp up speed instead of accelerating hard to get to speed and think ahead about slowing down.

My last car was a 2001 Saturn SL1 and I bought it with 30,000 miles on it used. I put almost exactly 100,000 miles on it and averaged 39.45 mpg for that 100,000 miles. And yes I tracked every gallon and every mile I put in it and on it so it is accurate total life (100,000) mpg. I also got 100,000 miles out of the tires and when I replaced the tires before giving it to my wife I checked the brakes that were new at 30,000 miles and they had better than 50 % life on them, so not a very aggressive driver.

The secret is to drive it and not abuse it, think ahead about starting and stopping. It is a game I play to break up the commute by trying to get the highest mpg. I do not draft, or coast in neutral or any of that stuff, just drive easy.

The way I drive maybe I can get 200,000 miles out of this car, I know I don't want to give this car up!

I will work on getting my MPG chart up to date and try to post it here for you to see the mpg.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sounds like the path to work is about the same as mine. Mostly freeway.

I would have to agree that acceleration does kill mileage. If I have time, I will drop my speed to 60 or so on the freeway.

My 08 only has the 4 speed trans so I may not get the same mileage, but will reset MPG at next fill up and set a trip odometer and calc my mileage manually next time, just to see how different the results are from the DIC.

I like my 08 and will be keeping it for a while. The 6 speed would be a nice option to have had in 08.

I will report back on my mileage as well.

Thanks,

·
Registered
35 Posts
main screen most of the time with occasional tire pressure readings. i have 12200 miles on it now. i am very happy with my 08 v6 malibu...:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
The temperature and miles. I've tried using Instant MPG and it's just too irritating in city/suburban driving. I end up getting 99 MPG when coasting downhill and 2 MPG when accelerating up the hills. I suppose it would be useful on the highway with cruise control.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife drives the car for the most part and she leaves it on the Trip A setting for the temp. I prefer the instant mpg so I can glance down and see what it's doing depending on my driving style.

This past Saturday night however, I was extremely gentle on it due to all the ASH that was coming down from Mt. Redoubt... you couldn't even talk while walking to the car it was so thick. The entire drive home, I kept rubbing my teeth trying to get the grittyness (sp) out.

My truck however is a diff deal. 03 Silverado 2500HD ext cab 8' bed. I watch the instant on it and flip back and forth between that and the avg mpg. I have noticed on three seperate drives to our lake cabin that when the temperature drops below +18F that my mileage increases by nearly 2mpg on level ground. Warm up the temp to say +22F or more and down goes the mileage again. Same cruise control, same stretch of road, same load, same everything except the temperature outside.

Also, on the truck I tested from a round trip run to our lake cabin and back where the truck DIC said I burned 32.1 gallons for the trip, the fuel up stopped at 31.8 gallons and I always squeeze it up a little and it stopped me at 32.2 barely so I'd say it was pretty accurate. I haven't tested this with the car yet, mainly because it requires a little math since it doesn't have a DIC indicator for "gallons burned".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.