Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What types of information does the D.I.C. read out on the dash? In my Grand Prix, I have a 5-button system that gives a huge amount of info. I'm wondering what I'd be giving up when I get a Malibu. Does the owner's manual list all the info the DIC will display?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'll try by memory and check the manual tonight or my wife's car to see what I forgot.
Outside air temp.
Instant and Avg. MPG
Avg. speed
Tire pressure
Battery charge
Fuel range
Two trip meters

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I've got the manual with me, Lee. The DIC displays:

Trip a & b
Fuel Range
Average MPG
Instant MPG
Average Speed
Oil Life
Tire Pressure

Tire pressure is pretty cool, it actually gives the PSI readings for each tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had OnStar send me my first vehicle report...even though there's really nothing to report! It gives you your PSI readings and current miles, it's great!

The DIC is quite comprehensive, and yes, the manual tells you every message that the DIC can display.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My GP shows engine hours, tranny temp, battery volts, etc. Nothing I'm going to miss. Plus the GP only has a warning light for low tire pressure, not actual PSI.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My GP shows engine hours, tranny temp, battery volts, etc. Nothing I'm going to miss. Plus the GP only has a warning light for low tire pressure, not actual PSI.
The Malibu also has battery volts. My wife's last car was a 97 Grand Prix GT and it also had the low tire warning. At least a half dozen times it caught a tire puncture before the tire lost much pressure.
The one big thing my wife misses from the Grand Prix was the HUD display.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing I miss from my HHR is engine temp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes but I liked the digital readout also.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Malibu also has battery volts. My wife's last car was a 97 Grand Prix GT and it also had the low tire warning. At least a half dozen times it caught a tire puncture before the tire lost much pressure.
The one big thing my wife misses from the Grand Prix was the HUD display.
Yup - I'll be giving up that. But I don't consider that a fatal flaw.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Malibu also has battery volts.
I lied :eek:
I was driving my wife's Malibu today and when flipping through the DIC info there was no battery readout.
I'm surprised they left that out. I would rather have that than instant MPG or Avg. speed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The OnStar feature is a great standard feature - however my wife hates how it interrupts the music - can you turn the voice prompts off and just have the text on the screen? Guess I need to read the manual...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The tire pressure sensors DO compliment the 'class' of the Malibu. However, I continue to occasionally use my trusted tire pressure gauge (actually I have two of 'em), and it appears my Malibu TPS reads slightly lower (one to 2 PSI . . . no big deal) then what my gauges read. I would recommend keeping (and using) a good, relatively accurate TP gauge in ones glove box.

This morning I 'added air' to a couple wheels that were slightly low, and noticed that even though all wheels measured exactly the same TP with my gauge, one wheel (on the DIC) was lower than the other 3 wheels (1 PSI . . . again, no big deal) and remained lower as the tires warmed up while driving.

For me, an occasional 'scan' of the TPS on the DIC gives me information (if the TP is lower) that I might have picked up road debris (nail / screw / glass) that's causing a slow leak, and 'maintenance' might need to be done before I'm surprised by a flat tire.

My Malibu is the second car I've owned that has used TPS units in the wheels.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The manual does list everything. It also has a sub menu where you can tweak the car settings like the horn beeping and the lights flashing with the alarm, how the doors lock and unlock, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.