Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm new and so happy to find this community! I have a power seat issue that I didn't find addressed here...
I was vacuuming my 2014 Malibu LT and moved my driver seat fully forward to clean. When I pressed the lever to move it back, it swiveled to the right leaving the left side stuck in the forward position. I have felt the track and nothing seems to be blocking the mechanism. Any suggestions as to what I can try to unstick the left side or what the problem may be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there! I'm new and so happy to find this community! I have a power seat issue that I didn't find addressed here...
I was vacuuming my 2014 Malibu LT and moved my driver seat fully forward to clean. When I pressed the lever to move it back, it swiveled to the right leaving the left side stuck in the forward position. I have felt the track and nothing seems to be blocking the mechanism. Any suggestions as to what I can try to unstick the left side or what the problem may be?
Can you move the seat forward?
I would assume something is blocking the left side from moving back. Could be loose change most likely. You would need to get down and take a real good look to make sure.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
CAUTION! Do NOT mess with the airbag connector that will have special, brightly-colored markings!

Move it fully forward again, then check the the "driveshaft" that goes from one side of the seat to the other.

Based on your description, I would hazard a guess that the motor is mounted on the right track and the driveshaft goes from it to the left side. It will probably look like a speedometer cable on the outside: a round barrel that attaches each end with a housing between that is about the size of a pinky finger. It'll likely have a slight curve in the center. That cable needs to be firmly connected to each end so that both sides move in unison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2013 Malibu and that same thing happened to me. There is a long rod that connects from the right side to the left that connects to the mechanism. What happened was that the rod came loose from the left side due to constant moving. So my fix was taking most of the seat apart basically just the back panel and if you remove certain clips and pull back the leather. The rod is at the bottom of the seat you need to check if it has both clips on each side i lost the clip on one side so I had to drill a very small hole and pass a very tiny nail through yes I know not very great but it did the job. You need to make sure both sides are straight before attaching the rod through the holes. Hope this helps. Any other questions just get back to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 Malibu and that same thing happened to me. There is a long rod that connects from the right side to the left that connects to the mechanism. What happened was that the rod came loose from the left side due to constant moving. So my fix was taking most of the seat apart basically just the back panel and if you remove certain clips and pull back the leather. The rod is at the bottom of the seat you need to check if it has both clips on each side i lost the clip on one side so I had to drill a very small hole and pass a very tiny nail through yes I know not very great but it did the job. You need to make sure both sides are straight before attaching the rod through the holes. Hope this helps. Any other questions just get back to me.
Thank you so much for this info. I know nothing about taking a seat apart so I will one day take it to the dealer I guess. At this point it seems like a job too big for me and my non-mechanic husband ? but I may visit some yt videos before I take it there. I did find a rod about 4 inches long that connects to the shaft and not connected on the left. I just can't see what to insert it into...

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
Although this isn't a certainty, the dealership will likely tell you that they need to replace the entire seat frame or mechanism.

A local garage that actually wants your business will be more inclined to try to fix it.

If you know friends who have had good results at a local garage, check them out online as well and even visit them to see what they might recommend before agreeing to any work. Having a garage you can trust do the work means that you'll also have a garage you can turn to in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you so much for this info. I know nothing about taking a seat apart so I will one day take it to the dealer I guess. At this point it seems like a job too big for me and my non-mechanic husband ? but I may visit some yt videos before I take it there. I did find a rod about 4 inches long that connects to the shaft and not connected on the left. I just can't see what to insert it into...
It actually pretty simple not really that hard. It'll take more time removing and putting back a few clips than actually doing the fix for it. For the rod it should be about the length of the seat itself. If your husband goes on behind the seat and pulls from the bottom of the backrest where there's a pocket (only plastic part on the seat) there are 2 clips as soon as those clips are removed be sure to not tug so hard since they might break, all he needs to do is slide it down and the back of the seat come off. That's it. The rod should be at the bottom of the seat he can out his hand in and feel it. The mechanism is on the right side. If he can't see that well the side cushions of the seat are held by Velcro just detach and pull seat away from frame and can see the rod if it's off it's track. To put back together is the opposite of removing. I'm no mechanic myself but like to do my own work or at least give it a try. I did it a few times because it kept coming off but after the 1st try it was easy peasy to re-do it again Lol. Like the other commenter stated the dealer more than likely will sell you a new chair really not worth the hassle. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You tube may show you what clips fell out and I’m guessing your sweeper Sucked up.If you find it on you tube they should show you how to reinsert t it. Try and not push anything under your seat as air bag sensors could be living there. Besides being scared to death or hurt due to deployment if they were energized then there is a cost to replace them. Go to the Library on their computers look up Mitchell pro it will tell you and show you all the rods and clips reconnecting up your seat including airbags so they do not deploy foiiow all instructions on airbags exactly to work safely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My driver side power seat is stuck on one side when trying you move it back or forward. The seat moves in all other directions but, one side just wont move back causing the seat to pivot on that side. Just trying to see if its an easy fix before I take it to the dealership.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
My driver side power seat is stuck on one side when trying you move it back or forward. The seat moves in all other directions but, one side just wont move back causing the seat to pivot on that side. Just trying to see if its an easy fix before I take it to the dealership.
Please read this post and provide more information.

Your new thread was appended to this thread since it's the same issue and you posted in the same section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please read this post and provide more information.

Your new thread was appended to this thread since it's the same issue and you posted in the same section.
I'm having the same problem and literally happened the same as the initial post. The only difference is my car is 2013 Malibu Eco. I looked in the tracks to ensure that nothing was stopping the left side from moving forward or backward and seen nothing.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
I'm having the same problem and literally happened the same as the initial post. The only difference is my car is 2013 Malibu Eco. I looked in the tracks to ensure that nothing was stopping the left side from moving forward or backward and seen nothing.
Thanks for the extra info!

When you look under there and move the seat a bit, does the driveshaft/tube look like it wobbles or shifts in place? That could be a symptom of a failure, either soon or already.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If these are still made the same as older ones. One side is motor driven, the other side is cable driven from the motor on the other side. If the cable is broken or pulled out for the function you are wanting one side can move the other side will be taking a break. Also check the track that no gremlins are blocking the movement. Other than that you may have a bad gear housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts