Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drivers side on my 2018 malibu is stuck. only one side will move up and back, the other side stays. i noticed when i looked under i saw a rod sticking out. i don’t know if that could be the problem. want to know if there’s anything i can do to fix it before taking it to a mechanic

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
Discussion moved from Auto Industry/News to gen9 problems.

Is this seat manual or powered?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
Are you outside of the bumper-to-bumper warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
Are you handy enough to remove the seat to diagnose the problem? I'm not sure how helpful we can be over the internet, because if you can't see something obvious jamming it up, it's probably not as easy as reaching your hand underneath and clicking something back in place.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
When you inspect it, take a few good pictures and share them here. It might allow our members to help you better.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
You said the other side of the seat still moves freely? How does that side look in comparison with the rod sticking out? Is there a rod on the opposite side that would indicate how it's supposed to look?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said the other side of the seat still moves freely? How does that side look in comparison with the rod sticking out? Is there a rod on the opposite side that would indicate how it's supposed to look?
yes the other side of the seat moves up but not as much since the other doesn’t move at all , but this is what the side that does move looks like.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
That first image shows the square-drive cable that transfers the motor's power to the opposite side of the seat. It should not be out of its housing like that. It's possible that those vans were travelling at a high rate of speed when they collided, then bounced off the housing, unplugging it in the process. (LOL)

Joking aside, that cable needs to be plugged back in. If the attaching hardware has been broken or damaged, it may need to be replaced.

To get easier access to the underside of the seat, there should be 2 bolts holding down the rear feet. Remove them and then tip the seat forward. You may be able to reattach it yourself, but be aware that you may need to hold your tongue just right now that you've operated it with it unplugged.

I'd suggest that, after getting it plugged back in, you run the seat to its most forward and rearward positions. When one side gets there, the other may be there as well (if you're lucky), or it is still a bit away. What you want is to find the direction where the side that was unplugged reaches its end movement first, then unplug it again, and move the seat the rest of the way there, then plug it back in again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you find a jocketing and clip under there. GM doesn’t usually leave a turning cable exposed. All those toy trucks should not be under the seat . As it could cost you even more money. Go to the Chevy garage and ask at the parts counter if they will show you the diagram of the seat adjuster at that location. If you are handy you may be able to do this your self. TAKe your pictures with you as this could be dealer only part. The other thing you could do is go to the library and ask them to set you up on a computer to use Mitchell Pro then look up your car bring your vin# with you it should be on your insurance card.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I literally just had the same thing happen to me!! Did you get this fix and if so what did you have to do or have to pay to get it fix?!?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I literally just had the same thing happen to me!! Did you get this fix and if so what did you have to do or have to pay to get it fix?!?
Once you get into it and find out the price you may want to use a junk yard part if you can find one. But first trouble shoot it. I have not seen any of your pictures of damage to it. Or did it just quit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts