Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the drop in lifetime HP air filter for the 3.6 engine?

I got one and when I pulled the stock filter out it was clearly labeled UP for the side to face the top of the air box. The stock filter had material sticking out on both sides. The K&N has material sticking out from one side only, but there is no label for up/down/top/bottom or anything else. Neither the box or instruction sheet indicate which way is up either. I looked at the rubber seal for the stock filter and saw one side was flat and the other had a little bit of a ridge, so I matched up the K&N so the flattest side would be installed as the flat side of the stock filter, but it's certainly not a specific enough marker for me to consider it as absolute.

Can someone tell me how the filter is supposed to be installed?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you show some side by side pics??? I'm interested in the KN for my 3.6 as well ;)
Of the air filters? I can tomorrow. I can't access any picture file hosts at work and I'm not going home tonight... and they'll be with my phone as I don't have a digital camera.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture of the K&N from their site. I put it in with this side up I believe and the part that sticks out going down into the air box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Slhaas....Yeah I had some question but it seems fine the way I put it in it's less cushiony so it should rest nice and flat.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slhaas....Yeah I had some question but it seems fine the way I put it in it's less cushiony so it should rest nice and flat.
How did you put it in? Im going to call K&N to be sure, as I e-mailed and didn't get a response. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called K&N and they didn't have an answer for me. They first said it wont fit when installed incorrectly, but it does fit either way. I was transferred to a technician who went on to explain that one side is top and one side is bottom and then explained the air box as having a top and bottom, but that seemed to not mesh with the air filter's top and bottom definition. Eventually I asked him if I set the filter on a table, with the gasket on the table top, and the filter media (baffles) sticking up in the air, how should the air flow. He explained the air would then flow first through the baffles, pointing up in this example (and he referred to this as the bottom of the filter) and then out through the flat side towards the table top (out of the top of the filter per his description) and into the engine. The part that will lay flat on a surface is the part the air needs to exit the filter into the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
wider media gauze part of the filter goes down! I tried mine both ways and it's obvous the fit was better.
When I changed to the K&N my mileage went up to 21.2 around town 31 hwy w/3.6L with highway speeds avgeraging speeds of 70-80 mph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.